Why do Women do this on Dating Sites?

Page 11 of 14 [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Jjancee
Raven
Raven

16 Oct 2014, 8:19 pm

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
Jjancee wrote:
Wow that's an unreasonable, irrational amount of expectations to project onto some girl who you've exchanged one email with via dating site.

What, that they show basic courtesy and respect? If I heard anyone talking like that on the street I would avoid them and so would most normal guys (and girls). I know if I wrote my profile like that I would NEVER get any replies and rightfully so.

Sweetleaf wrote:
Not sure what cheap shot you mean, it really does seem like you have some excess baggage from previous relationships, so you are projecting that onto girls you don't even know. And thus far nothing you have mentioned is in the diagnostic criteria for borderline PD or other cluster B disorders or whatever you are in no position to judge whether a chick you've talked to online a couple of times has any such condition.

I really don't want to discuss my private life but let's just say that when you are in a serious relationship with a textbook BPD individual (meets 9 of 9 DSM IV criteria), you learn some survival mechanisms to spot it in the future and get quite good at it. My Ex almost ruined my life, almost got me arrested and evicted (thankfully the cops were very understanding and believed me) and I ended up with a mental breakdown because of her crazy behaviour. Maybe this OKCupid girl does, maybe she doesn't (and I am NOT trying to play armchair Psychologist even though it was a special interest at one point) but I am erring on the side of caution. Next time I won't be so lucky! I know from my experience and the experience of others that most Borderlines are downright dangerous to be in a relationship with even though it's not always their fault.

Free dating sites (especially POF) are loaded with Cluster Bs, particularly Narcissists: I just didn't learn until recently what it was called. Again, I have a number of textbook narcissistic relatives and they all play from the same script just like Borderlines. Doesn't matter in this case because she flaked but if I were a betting man, I would say she has undiagnosed BPD. I have nothing further to say on this matter because it is irrelevant at this point: I am officially done with free online dating.

Quote:
also maybe they have a drivers lisecnse and no car, maybe they cannot afford one or maybe they have a reason they don't drive....I have no drivers liscense and am 25 because I think being in traffic would overwhelm me so it could be dangerous.

I was laughed at because I was 18 years old before I was licensed and I have to admit, I am shocked to find out there are a number of adults who willingly don't drive. I honestly didn't know anyone who didn't drive at 16 other than me (who wasn't dirt poor that is). Turns out she has a license and is paying off student loans. I flat out told her I was a chauffeur in my past relationships and lack of a license (not a car) is a deal breaker except in extreme circumstances like disability. I DO love to drive but I am sick and tired of having to drive everyone around because they are too lazy to get a license themselves. Yes, cars are expensive but it's an expense most adults have to take on in order to make a decent living unfortunately.

Sweetleaf wrote:
Also I do not think it is arrogant per say to think those things make you a quality catch......however for a lot of females me included getting along well, being able to spend time together and all that is very important so a full time job, car, your own house isn't going to make up for those things. I mean I would never date someone just because they have those things, and I do not see them as requirements for me to date someone. Obviously I personally would not be a 'good catch' for a guy in that sort of position who expects their date to also at least have a car, full time job, and own house, just not going to happen. But I do not think material success makes a 'quality' human being actually.

Good points but I am easy to get along with, am VERY protective and can border on being clingy too. I suppose I didn't explain myself properly: I would prefer someone with character FAR more than someone well off but I am at the stage of my life where I am sick and tired of being the 'caretaker' or rescuer and want someone who is my equal. Someone called me "entitled" because of this but that's no more than saying I am entitled to my paycheck because I worked for it. You would not be a good catch for me because of that but that doesn't mean you are a bad catch in general.

Am I a bit bitter from dating someone who never worked, never tried to get a license, failed College on 5 different occasions (now 6) and kept whining, making excuses and blaming others instead of trying or seeking help? You bet! As a result, I am unable to accept those (lack of) qualities in a partner. Sorry, but that's the trademark Aspie truth. For the record, this date went surprisingly well but doubt she will become anything more than a friend because financial stability is important to me. I do not want to have my good money habits and credit ruined. I've already seen too many lives ruined by bad relationships and want to learn from my mistakes as well as the mistakes of others.

I get that you are looking for a "quality partner" and that you've been burned in the past -- but, again, you're setting the bar irrationally, unreasonably high for someone with whom you've exchanged ONE email with. You do not know enough about a girl you've exchanged ONE email with to make THAT many value judgements based on SO little information.

It is literally impossible to diagnose a person with BPD (or anything else for that matter) from ONE email.

Your ex, the supposedly crazy one who took so much advantage of you, nearly got you arrested, etc? Was only able to do so WITH your consent.

Wanting to avoid a similar nutter? Is perfectly reasonable.

Insisting a girl with whom you've exchanged ONE email is that much of a nutter? Is you projecting your ex's behavior onto others.

CynicalWaffle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Oct 2014, 7:32 pm

GHF, I see nothing wrong with your interpretation.

That woman is crazy through and through.

You people saying "she got too many dick pics/lewd messages/etc. sent to her" need to realize something. If, like some of you guys say, this happens to "every" woman, then why don't all these women have similar vitriolic statements on THEIR profiles? Hmm? Care to answer that one?

It's more likely that this lady got one picture of a dick and decided to lump all guys together.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2014, 11:09 pm

It's not unusual for people to change their profiles. I've known more than one person who has changed their profile into, basically, a 'don't touch me' page after some particularly egregious messaging, and then changed it back to something calmer after they had time to recover. It's one way to take a break without actually deleting your account.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2014, 11:53 pm

CynicalWaffle wrote:

You people saying "she got too many dick pics/lewd messages/etc. sent to her" need to realize something. If, like some of you guys say, this happens to "every" woman, then why don't all these women have similar vitriolic statements on THEIR profiles? Hmm? Care to answer that one?

It's more likely that this lady got one picture of a dick and decided to lump all guys together.

I don't know do all people react the same to every situation? Do people always deal with varying situations the exact same way as each other? I think not. Admittedly I am female and have never gotten any dick pics, but I have got plenty unappealing messages that make me not want to respond but hasn't happened to such an extent I feel the need to clarify people not send me nasty stuff.

You have no idea how many dick pictures she got or what was going on in her head, that is quite an assumption there.

Callafiriel
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Oct 2014, 4:48 am

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
Why would someone write a profile like that? Is that really going to motivate a high quality male such as myself to message her? What is she thinking? Can you say "bitter?" :roll:

I did not read all 11 pages of this but just going from your first entry:

Please do not contact her! It is more than obvious that that poor girl absolutely doesn't need someone like you contacting her telling her what a catch you are! Jeez! Can you say "jerk"? :roll:

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 7:01 am

Callafiriel wrote:

I did not read all 11 pages of this but just going from your first entry:

Please do not contact her! It is more than obvious that that poor girl absolutely doesn't need someone like you contacting her telling her what a catch you are! Jeez! Can you say "jerk"? :roll:

I am officially done with this site. It seems developing genuine self-confidence makes you a horrible person. Ever since I have started feeling better I have had countless people insult me. If it makes anyone feel any better, my horrible depression is returning and I feel just as worthless as I did a few months ago.

For the record, she WAS crazy but it ultimately doesn't matter. This was once a great site full of supportive people but in my asking an honest question and pointing out I have a lot of great qualities compared to most men on that site seems to have greatly offended a large number of people. If I want to be treated like garbage I would just go back to Junior High.

CynicalWaffle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Oct 2014, 9:25 am

sly279 wrote:
if a guy does what this woman did we are told it's off putting, offensive and too negative. we are told to change/ remove the rant type things. yet a woman does it and its defended and if a guy finds it off putting we are told we lack respect for women o.O

I find it off putting. guarantee most women on dating sites get the same stuff she did, the difference they don't turn their profile into a rant, they block the messages and continue on. do most list they aren't looking for one night stands yeah, but that's more of what relationship they are wanting. if you don't think it should work both for men and women then you are basically saying women can afford to do it and guys can't.

also yeah hockey I don't get it either but i predicted it. if you show confidence you are an as*hole if you don't then you are a unattractive. seems there's no winning.
also i take your post to mean that I am a loser?

sly279, you are in NO WAY a loser, and you oftentimes have some pretty wise posts, this being one of them. Stay strong, you hear? Don't become miserly like me. Stay pure and find some way to get your glasses fogged up.

Also, I finally looked through all the pages of this thread.
I have to say, that Geekonychus guy got on me a couple of times for generalizing, and seems to do it to others too, but there's no one in this forum who is better at doing it than he is. Bravo, kid. Bravo.

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 10:00 am

CynicalWaffle wrote:

The fact that everyone's thresholds and reactions to unpleasantness are not the same, nor are their life circumstances which might be making them less able to just shrug it off.

Something something, lumping everyone together...

People here pretty much read what they want to read, though. If they get flack for the way they talk about others, they complain about how they're not allowed to vent or be confident. I don't care whether or not men in this section think they're the best thing to ever happen to women or just an average guy, my criticisms here are of people who are nasty in their attitudes towards others but think everyone should be kind to their own flaws.

As far as I'm concerned, you can think you're Jesus Christ himself as long as you don't sneer or denigrate others because someone had a frustrated outburst in their dating profile or uses chatspeak.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 11:06 am

Confidence is saying you are a capable, worthwhile person. (not comparative)
Arrogance is saying you are more capable and worthwhile than other people. (comparative)
When you call yourself "high-quality", that's a comparative statement, and is therefore interpreted as arrogance.

Also, the term "high-quality" is not appropriate for describing a person, even oneself. It is a term for objects. Using it in the context of discussing dating relationships is particularly vulgar, as it suggests you view yourself as an animal available for stud service.

(I don't mean any of this to offend; I'm genuinely trying to help you out here.)

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 12:49 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Arrogance is saying you are more capable and worthwhile than other people. (comparative)

Is it? Is it "arrogance" even if:

1) You genuinely think you are more capable.
2) You have good reasons for thinking so, based on evidence.
3) You've had other people tell you so, including the reasons why they think so.
4) You are making the statement, because it's relevant to the discussion, rather than because you just want everyone to know how good you are.

Not according to this dictionary definition: an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions.

I totally get what GiantHockeyFan is saying here and I think it's a real pity that we have to walk around on eggshells even here on WP for fear of making a statement that implies that (shock! horror!) not everyone is equally good at everything. That seems to me like a self-evident truth and it really is impossible to avoid, however much you may wish to.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 1:45 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Confidence is saying you are a capable, worthwhile person. (not comparative)
When you call yourself "high-quality", that's a comparative statement, and is therefore interpreted as arrogance.

Also, the term "high-quality" is not appropriate for describing a person, even oneself. It is a term for objects. Using it in the context of discussing dating relationships is particularly vulgar, as it suggests you view yourself as an animal available for stud service.

(I don't mean any of this to offend; I'm genuinely trying to help you out here.)

think this comes from quite a few women both on dating sites in rl saying they want and are looking for a high quality man. we men then aim to become and compare ourselves to that. some will then call them selves the high quality man in result of what the women said.

what some find as confidence others will find it arrogant. its a fine line in my opinion.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 1:47 pm

CynicalWaffle wrote:

sly279, you are in NO WAY a loser, and you oftentimes have some pretty wise posts, this being one of them. Stay strong, you hear? Don't become miserly like me. Stay pure and find some way to get your glasses fogged up.

o.O

blunnet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 7:54 pm

well, the way profiles are written and re-written can say a lot about a person, of course is understandable after getting junk from many guys, however, I don't think a profile like that would attract the attention she wants.

I can think that many guys (some who would be the way she is looking for) would be driven off by a profile like that. As I believe positive profiles attract the desirable attention than negative ones, so what she did isn't wise, it would have been wiser for her to just leave that site and move on to something else.

I pressume that most men including the decent ones would not be drawn towards a profile like that and would prefer a positive one, except perhaps those who would be looking for "whining b*****s".

I don't care about dating sites, but I certainly would be more attracted to a profile with positive and cheerful content and driven off by rants and warnings.

Last edited by blunnet on 28 Oct 2014, 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CynicalWaffle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Oct 2014, 7:59 pm

downbutnotout wrote:
CynicalWaffle wrote:

The fact that everyone's thresholds and reactions to unpleasantness are not the same, nor are their life circumstances which might be making them less able to just shrug it off.

People here pretty much read what they want to read, though. If they get flack for the way they talk about others, they complain about how they're not allowed to vent or be confident. I don't care whether or not men in this section think they're the best thing to ever happen to women or just an average guy, my criticisms here are of people who are nasty in their attitudes towards others but think everyone should be kind to their own flaws.

As far as I'm concerned, you can think you're Jesus Christ himself as long as you don't sneer or denigrate others because someone had a frustrated outburst in their dating profile or uses chatspeak.

As many times as I've been denigrated (hint: many times more than most people on this forum, I can guarantee that), I'm allowed to denigrate others for their blatant stupidity. If you type in "chatspeak" when people like me actually make an effort to construct a well-written sentence, then that is willful ignorance. The only excuse would be dyslexia, but dyslexia isn't that common.

This woman deserves what mockery she gets, because it's stupid to delete an ENTIRE DAMN PROFILE and fill it with terribly-worded demands of what you don't want. It will scare the decent guys away and, guess what? She'll still get messages from as*holes. They see it as a challenge. It's just like when women wear wedding rings to keep creeps from hitting on them. Sounds good in practice, but the creeps will still hit on them, and any guy who is at least halfway decent will avoid trying to ask them out or advance past the friendship stage. It's counterproductive. Hell, GHF ran for the hills when he saw her profile. That's gonna be the reaction that she gets from now on.

On top of that, she reinforced the old stereotype about women being hard to deal with. But you don't see anybody else addressing that little elephant in the room, do you?

Oh, one more thing. I AM Jesus Christ himself. So, thank you for pointing that fact out. :wink:\

EDIT: blunnet said it pretty well, and in a shorter manner.

blunnet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 8:12 pm

^Yep, we are in agreement here, I just got here and have only read the first and last pages, so I wonder if after 12 pages, posters haven't figured this out.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 9:45 pm

CynicalWaffle wrote:
downbutnotout wrote:
CynicalWaffle wrote:

As many times as I've been denigrated (hint: many times more than most people on this forum, I can guarantee that), I'm allowed to denigrate others for their blatant stupidity. If you type in "chatspeak" when people like me actually make an effort to construct a well-written sentence, then that is willful ignorance. The only excuse would be dyslexia, but dyslexia isn't that common.

This woman deserves what mockery she gets, because it's stupid to delete an ENTIRE DAMN PROFILE and fill it with terribly-worded demands of what you don't want. It will scare the decent guys away and, guess what? She'll still get messages from as*holes. They see it as a challenge. It's just like when women wear wedding rings to keep creeps from hitting on them. Sounds good in practice, but the creeps will still hit on them, and any guy who is at least halfway decent will avoid trying to ask them out or advance past the friendship stage. It's counterproductive. Hell, GHF ran for the hills when he saw her profile. That's gonna be the reaction that she gets from now on.

On top of that, she reinforced the old stereotype about women being hard to deal with. But you don't see anybody else addressing that little elephant in the room, do you?

Oh, one more thing. I AM Jesus Christ himself. So, thank you for pointing that fact out. :wink:\

EDIT: blunnet said it pretty well, and in a shorter manner.

Yes, because not sending creepy messages and dick pics is so hard. Please never leave the house unsupervised.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I