What a Shaman Sees in A Mental Hospital

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 2:58 pm

Quote:
One of the things Dr. Somé encountered when he first came to the United States in 1980 for graduate study was how this country deals with mental illness. When a fellow student was sent to a mental institute due to ?nervous depression,? Dr. Somé went to visit him.

?I was so shocked. That was the first time I was brought face to face with what is done here to people exhibiting the same symptoms I?ve seen in my village.? What struck Dr. Somé was that the attention given to such symptoms was based on pathology, on the idea that the condition is something that needs to stop. This was in complete opposition to the way his culture views such a situation. As he looked around the stark ward at the patients, some in straitjackets, some zoned out on medications, others screaming, he observed to himself, ?So this is how the healers who are attempting to be born are treated in this culture. What a loss! What a loss that a person who is finally being aligned with a power from the other world is just being wasted.?

Another way to say this, which may make more sense to the Western mind, is that we in the West are not trained in how to deal or even taught to acknowledge the existence of psychic phenomena, the spiritual world. In fact, psychic abilities are denigrated. When energies from the spiritual world emerge in a Western psyche, that individual is completely unequipped to integrate them or even recognize what is happening. The result can be terrifying. Without the proper context for and assistance in dealing with the breakthrough from another level of reality, for all practical purposes, the person is insane. Heavy dosing with anti-psychotic drugs compounds the problem and prevents the integration that could lead to soul development and growth in the individual who has received these energies.

Click here to read the rest
http://earthweareone.com/what-a-shaman- ... -hospital/

jbw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Oct 2014, 3:15 pm

Very interesting. I don't believe in any non physical psychic phenomena, but it is great to see a non-pathologising interpretation of mental illness and neurological differences.

The following is revealing:

?The other world?s relationship with our world is one of sponsorship,? Dr. Somé explains. ?More often than not, the knowledge and skills that arise from this kind of merger are a knowledge or a skill that is provided directly from the other world.?

Those who develop so-called mental disorders are those who are sensitive, which is viewed in Western culture as oversensitivity. Indigenous cultures don?t see it that way and, as a result, sensitive people don?t experience themselves as overly sensitive. In the West, ?it is the overload of the culture they?re in that is just wrecking them,? observes Dr. Somé. The frenetic pace, the bombardment of the senses, and the violent energy that characterize Western culture can overwhelm sensitive people.

Last edited by jbw on 01 Oct 2014, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 3:54 pm

I'll take therapy, such as CBT and medication, over superstition, thank you very much.

(Yes, like many here, I've been in a mental hostel a couple of times.)

B19
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 5:46 pm

One of the major reasons that psychiatric facilities exist is for social control of those who deviate from the prescribed ways of living and being. Any commitment to healing in these places is usually anchored in the social control foundation stone. This is never stated of course. It has always been this way.

Lobotomies could never have been acceptable practices if that were not true. It did not matter that it was a form of mutilation because it was practiced on "deviants", and these people had no social status. Practices have changed though the ethos is the same. Will read the article when I have time, really flat out today, sounds really interesting. Good thread.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 6:39 pm

I was in a psychiatric facility and I wasn't controlled.

Hell, I was controlling them by refusing to eat in the cafe, refusing to line up for meds (which I could have refused to take if I wanted), refusing to go to any group sessions, and going home way earlier than they wanted.

Nothing like school (and even college), where you actually are controlled and forced to do things.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 8:09 pm

Dillogic wrote:
I'll take therapy, such as CBT and medication, over superstition, thank you very much.

(Yes, like many here, I've been in a mental hostel a couple of times.)

Funny how Jung would disagree with you.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 9:15 pm

I also like it that there are people who have a "non-pathologizing" view of mental illness.

There are many people with "mental illness," for instance, who are quite creative. If channeled properly, the substance which emanates from a "psychotic" person's mind could be employed in a positive direction.

If one listens to "word salads" which are produced by schizophrenics, one could interpret them, at times, as complex, beautiful collages, rather than mere psychotic rants. Sometimes, "word salads" could be disturbing, though.

I am quite ambivalent about medication. While it might "control" a person, it just might take the "person" away from the person.

If only there could be a way to assist the "psychotic" person in channeling his/her impulses in a positive direction, rather than having anti-psychotic meds sublimate those impulses, perhaps irreversibly.

I've never "served time" in a mental hospital; but I've visited other people in these places, and I hate how zombified many patients seem as a result of their medications.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 9:26 pm

My depression and autism have made me more spiritually in-tune. I hate my disabilities, but I love them.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2014, 1:29 am

Protogenoi wrote:
Funny how Jung would disagree with you.

Well, a quack naturally would.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2014, 1:33 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
... I hate how zombified many patients seem as a result of their medications.

It's usually what puts the people there that makes them appear how they do.

And if they need a good dose of anti-psychotic, then being sedated like a zombie is most likely far better than without.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2014, 4:20 am

Dillogic wrote:

Amen!

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2014, 10:12 am

I'm definitely an advocate of science, truth, etc over superstition.

I also believe there are, potentially, positive aspects to both mental illness and autism. I believe drugs, potentially, sublimate the "essence" of people. Drugs have their purpose--but they have to be used with care so that they don't cause lobotomy-type results.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2014, 12:24 am

When the neurologists and technicians begin to understand how the brain really functions, then we won't need psychology, and that will be a very good thing.