Paul Revere of Paul Revere and the Raiders R.I.P.

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 11:51 pm

On recent threads I have written about no matter how bad the bullying was in the undiagnosed 60's and 70' s one I got home I could de stress by listening music. A lot of the Top 40 was good and had and upbeat feel. Paul Revere and The Raiders were as much part of this any anybody. But despite or maybe because they were a huge hit maker they never got the critical recognition at the time. As with the Monkees they stated as gimmick with the name and wearing American Revolution garb an over the top reaction to the then ongoing British Music and Culture invasion of the US. By the end of if the 60's with Vietnam and an the protests against it deepening rock was serous and the Raiders seemed out of step. This has nothing to do with the music

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lohb-4Gc-I[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP8G4clUJBY[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3EbtkjtYXM[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8Ba-WYmppk[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggEnGoDPKfg[/youtube]

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 07 Oct 2014, 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 12:03 am

I read about this earlier today, such sad news. R.I.P. Paul

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 2:23 am

the helluva band in heaven is getting some prime talent.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Oct 2014, 2:52 am

Oh how I loved this band! So sorry to hear about this

Bustduster
Toucan
Toucan

07 Oct 2014, 8:44 am

Thanks for the links. I only own a few tracks by them - scattered across several compilations (like Rhino's excellent "Nuggets" box set) - but I'm inclined to want to investigate further now. R.I.P.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2014, 4:46 pm

Geez, when did rockers get to be senior citizens? Goes to show you, as guys like Paul Revere played rock well into his seventies, Rock n' Roll is here to stay!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2014, 10:24 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Rock n' Roll is here to stay!

even if the individual rockers must pass on.

BraveMurderDay
Toucan
Toucan

11 Oct 2014, 10:40 pm

"The last madman of rock and roll"
^My favorite nickname ever given to any musician.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2014, 5:52 am

I just found out. At the moment as I write this, I'm listening to Cinderella Sunshine from their Hot 'N Heavy (with Marshmallows) album.

When I was in high school, my brother and I had pretty much every album they did up to that time.

There was one song that I would find myself singing under my breath for days at a time -- Burn Like A Candle. It wasn't my favorite song by them, but there was something about the song that I loved. I have a copy of that somewhere -- maybe I'll listen to it after the current album. About the only song I do that with even more (and still do) is the vocal version of Charade from Henry Mancini's soundtrack for that movie.

Like many back then, my haircuts were in the same style as the group with bangs down to the eyebrows. I never consciously thought of it as imitating them, just that I liked my hair like that.

---

By the way, I couldn't wait. I found Burn Like A Candle on another album and am listening to it now.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2014, 6:17 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
As with the Monkees they stated as gimmick with the name and wearing American Revolution garb an over the top reaction to the then ongoing British Music and Culture invasion of the US.

Unlike the Monkees, the Raiders formed their own band. They were never any kind of music promotion stunt.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2014, 6:18 am

Also, their number one song, Indian Reservation was from 1971.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2014, 3:11 pm

eric76 wrote:
I just found out. At the moment as I write this, I'm listening to Cinderella Sunshine from their Hot 'N Heavy (with Marshmallows) album.

When I was in high school, my brother and I had pretty much every album they did up to that time.

There was one song that I would find myself singing under my breath for days at a time -- Burn Like A Candle. It wasn't my favorite song by them, but there was something about the song that I loved. I have a copy of that somewhere -- maybe I'll listen to it after the current album. About the only song I do that with even more (and still do) is the vocal version of Charade from Henry Mancini's soundtrack for that movie.

Like many back then, my haircuts were in the same style as the group with bangs down to the eyebrows. I never consciously thought of it as imitating them, just that I liked my hair like that.

---

By the way, I couldn't wait. I found Burn Like A Candle on another album and am listening to it now.

I had the same godawful haircut, too!

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2014, 5:13 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
eric76 wrote:

---

I bet that we looked better in them back then than if we were to try to have the same haircut today.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2014, 6:39 pm

eric76 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
eric76 wrote:

---

I bet that we looked better in them back then than if we were to try to have the same haircut today.

Of that I have no doubt, as I have more than enough hair loss today that I keep my head shaved.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2014, 8:16 pm

i went in the opposite direction and have hair down my back.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2014, 11:11 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i went in the opposite direction and have hair down my back.

To each his own. :)