Page 3 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Samniss Arandeen
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Nov 2014, 11:02 pm

SpirosD wrote:
Well, I'm going to be controversial here (start throwing rocks at me) but for me and throughout history the biggest enemy of autism has been religion, two faiths in particular, one being the results of the separation of the first. When they burned people at the stake and killed hundred of thousands people for witchcraft, being possessed, for not being normal or for not conforming to society, who do you think these people where? Autistic people or people with other disorders. Later on these same people where simply locked up, it's only at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century that prosecution toward "different people" stopped, what represents the time when countries started to go secular.
Sadly some religious groups are still living in the dark ages and still consider us has evil, mostly the baptist nuts. Her is an example of what they say about us (WARNING, what they say is very hard to take and read, especially if you have autism)
http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=69903

You know what? I'm glad they're saying this on an Internet forum, for two reasons.

First, it means we know who they are, and can avoid them.

Second, if they were to say things like that to my face, this would probably happen.

Either way, it must really, REALLY suck to be a child of one of these crazies.

EDIT: apparently that's a parody shock site. Holy hell. I don't doubt real people of this persuasion exist, however.

"Now I've got something I want to protect. It's you." -Howl Pendragon
"I must be on another planet." -Daria Morgendorffer
"I volunteer! I volunteer as Tribute!" -Katniss Everdeen

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 8:53 pm

SpirosD wrote:
Well, I'm going to be controversial here (start throwing rocks at me) but for me and throughout history the biggest enemy of autism has been religion, two faiths in particular, one being the results of the separation of the first. When they burned people at the stake and killed hundred of thousands people for witchcraft, being possessed, for not being normal or for not conforming to society, who do you think these people where? Autistic people or people with other disorders. Later on these same people where simply locked up, it's only at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century that prosecution toward "different people" stopped, what represents the time when countries started to go secular.
Sadly some religious groups are still living in the dark ages and still consider us has evil, mostly the baptist nuts. Her is an example of what they say about us (WARNING, what they say is very hard to take and read, especially if you have autism)

And you took those numb nuts seriously? Landover Baptist is a satire site! It's satire in very poor taste, but it's still satire.

Awilder
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 2:44 pm

I start off by saying this, I'm in no mood nor care for person(s) whom have this silly & absurd notion of trying to cure autistic people by any medical means. Actually, on a very dark note eugenics is something that most people feel is only a theoretical construct however, back in 1930's Germany a great many children were eradicated and it was not on the sole basis of ethnicity nor race but, intellectual difficulties therefore, autistic persons must not let a fringe group speak for all of the entire spectrum as a whole referring to autism speaks and it's subordinates..

Just my thoughts..

We are like the wind,
Wrapped, luminous wind,
We make a road for the spirits to pass over.
For the Spirits to pass over.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 8:10 pm

Why don't we just show sympathy for NT's rather than paint them as our "enemies", please? And I don't honestly think because some Youtubers use the "R" word or make jokes necessarily makes one a truly wicked person. They can be good people at what they do. I don't hate on anyone. It is making our community look bad because how easily offended we can get and we are setting a target on ourselves. Doesn't anyone agree with me here?

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 10:17 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
Why don't we just show sympathy for NT's rather than paint them as our "enemies", please? And I don't honestly think because some Youtubers use the "R" word or make jokes necessarily makes one a truly wicked person. They can be good people at what they do. I don't hate on anyone. It is making our community look bad because how easily offended we can get and we are setting a target on ourselves. Doesn't anyone agree with me here?

Yeah, just like the way the members of the American Library Association gets their nose bent out of joint when the old librarian stereotype get dragged out in the media. You know what I'm talking about: the old grey haired spinster with her hair in a bun forcing everyone to be quiet.

Instead of getting their collective noses out of joint, why doesn't the ALA just not comment on whoever drags that stereotype up for whatever reason? (I know, because my master's is in library science, and it always irks me then the leadership of the ALA start spending my dues (when I was still a member) to combat the stereotype, when it could be put to better use.

o0iella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Nov 2014, 5:25 pm

1: The average Neurotypical

2: Autism Speaks and all those who follow a similar ideology.

3: Autistic people condemning anyone who criticises the way neurotypicals behave towards Autistics.

4: Autistic people who start petitions calling for censorship of anyone who speaks critically of Autistics, even if it is obiously satire.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 11:07 pm

Hmmm the enemies....

simplistic theorists who want to make a career on the backs of people on the spectrum:

a fair few of them hang out in the social sciences:

- reductionists (in science, in psychiatry, in theories of causes of autism)
- anyone working in mental health who takes a disability view of autistic people
- psychologists who divide difference into normal and abnormal arbitrarily
- any academic who is more wedded to defending his or her own theories and reputation than acknowledging opposing evidence which contests the theories (yes you, Baron-Cohen, and Una Frith, though others too)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 4:56 am

o0iella wrote:
1: The average Neurotypical

2: Autism Speaks and all those who follow a similar ideology.

3: Autistic people condemning anyone who criticises the way neurotypicals behave towards Autistics.

4: Autistic people who start petitions calling for censorship of anyone who speaks critically of Autistics, even if it is obiously satire.

I am on an enemies list, Whoopee, I never though I would be that important.
Never thought 95% of that people I have ever known including all sorts of family members were that important either.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

o0iella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Dec 2014, 7:42 am

5: People on the spectrum who are who (usually falsely) accuses anyone who criticises some neurotypicals of a: criticising all neurotypicals and b: being bigoted, while ignoring (or denying) the massive discrimination by the average neurotypical towards the average person on the spectrum.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 3:01 pm

APOM, you are in excellent company, with my humble self :)

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 6:44 am

SpirosD wrote:

But that website is fake right? Satire or something? It can't be serious.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 7:15 am

Ah, as someone else posted it is indeed satire.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 3:53 pm

You seem to think that satire is an absolute justification for targeting minorities offensively. I think it's just immature and offensive.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 4:56 pm

There seems to be a lot of confusion on threads, including this one, about the difference between satire and parody.

"Animal Farm", a novel by George Orwell, is a prime example of what satire is: a humorous exposure of the misuse of power by the more powerful.

Parody is making fun of a target, sometimes with malice disguised as "just humour" - like the website cited in this thread.

Typically, parody bullies try to justify their malice by saying "oh it's just satire, don't you understand that?"

o0iella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Dec 2014, 6:45 am

The website is still satire. They are satirising the crazy and bigoted opinions of religious people.

6: People on the spectrum who take troll websites seriously, and play into the hands of trolls.

7: Trolls themselves (although they wouldn't have any power without troll-feeders).

riley
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2014, 10:14 am

o0iella wrote:
5: People on the spectrum who are who (usually falsely) accuses anyone who criticises some neurotypicals of a: criticising all neurotypicals and b: being bigoted, while ignoring (or denying) the massive discrimination by the average neurotypical towards the average person on the spectrum.

The thing is I haven't seen people use the term some neurotopicals.. and neurototypical is often used as a slur which is indeed bigoted.

I do not deny that there is discrimination against people who have ASD. Many people with various disabilities suffer through the same experiences.. and disability stigma does not help. It is a shame that some on WP are also no more tolerant of disabilities than neurotypicals as apparently seeing some forms of autism a disability would put me on the list. Why? Is having a disability something people should feel ashamed of?

"You are either with us or against us"? :roll:

I feel like this whole thread is just trying to suck people into hateful group think.