Page 5 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

riley
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2014, 11:51 pm

o0iella wrote:
Quote:
So, in reality.. are some people with HFA insisting we don't acknowledge the existence of those with very disabling autism because they make them look bad? Nice.

No. You focus on the parts of their condition that are disabling and are detrimental to their quality of life. I think all people on the autism spectrum should be a part of the autism rights movement, and I resent your implication that I don't believe this.

I have seen some with HFA say that severe autism with ID "doesn't count" as autism and that their ID is separate. This is not correct. The problem is the severe autism inhibits learning as the sensory overload is too much to deal with which does make the ID a result of the autism.
Quote:
What you seem to be insinuating is that Autism as a whole is a disability, when in reality it's a neurological divergence that can sometimes be disabling.

I resent that you have chosen to ignore where I have made a distinction between HFA and severe autism.
Quote:
If you see autism as a whole as a disability, then that implies that the whole of autism is something negative that needs to be cured or overcome. This excludes people on the spectrum who don't see it that way and plays into the hands of Autism Speaks and other curebie groups.

Ah the "curebies". There are some forms of autism that are so severe that the condition creates genuine and extreme suffering. I see nothing wrong with wanting to alleviate this and when autism is that severe it is not merely a neurological "divergence" as you suggest. I DO see something immoral when people actively campaign against treatments for severe autism.

Quote:
A friend of mine has a physical condition where his joints cause lots of pain and wear down easily. He's already had two hips replaced by the age of 25. It has an entirely negative impact on his life and he sees it as an obstacle to be overcome rather than a part of who he is. If someone came along with a cure for his condition, he would take it in a heartbeat. If someone came along offering a "cure" for my condition, I wouldn't take it. We both have differing goals, and it would be pointless putting us in the same category.

I wouldn't expect you to accept a cure.. but I wouldn't agree you have a right to deny it's availability to others or advocate for it not to be researched. Some people may truly need it and I think it's unfair that real treatments may be denied because people want to treat it like a club.

o0iella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Dec 2014, 8:12 am

You say this:

Quote:
I resent that you have chosen to ignore where I have made a distinction between HFA and severe autism.

But then you also say.

Quote:
I do not deny that there is discrimination against people who have ASD. Many people with various disabilities suffer through the same experiences.. and disability stigma does not help.

This is putting all forms of autism under the umbrella of disability, which is unhelpful and inaccurate.

Quote:
I have seen some with HFA say that severe autism with ID "doesn't count" as autism and that their ID is separate. This is not correct. The problem is the severe autism inhibits learning as the sensory overload is too much to deal with which does make the ID a result of the autism.

That's still debatable. It might be true, but then again it might not be.

As for the rest of your argument, I do agree with you. If the autistic individual feels that some elements of their autism causes them to suffer, then of course they should seek treatment if they feel is necessary. I wouldn't want any research to be stopped. I feel that that a lot of "treatments" for people on the spectrum is to make the person more agreeable for neurotypicals, rather than improving the well-being of the autistic person.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Dec 2014, 8:07 am

I view an enemy of the autistic community as a person(s), autistic or NT, that makes it a part of their personality to act superior and/or put others down by making condescending remarks. These people often come across as an individual who seems to be isolated from the rest of the community, but is not hesitant to infuse disrespectful comments that don't quite cross the line of the rules of that community.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 3:00 pm

glider18 wrote:
I view an enemy of the autistic community as a person(s), autistic or NT, that makes it a part of their personality to act superior and/or put others down by making condescending remarks. These people often come across as an individual who seems to be isolated from the rest of the community, but is not hesitant to infuse disrespectful comments that don't quite cross the line of the rules of that community.

Can that be extended to include a handful of chronic nitpickers whose apparent mission here is to demonstrate that nitpicking automatically makes them smarter than their targets? The nitpicks tend to poison the wells of otherwise interesting and intelligent debates.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Dec 2014, 6:17 pm

B19 wrote:
glider18 wrote:

Can that be extended to include a handful of chronic nitpickers whose apparent mission here is to demonstrate that nitpicking automatically makes them smarter than their targets? The nitpicks tend to poison the wells of otherwise interesting and intelligent debates.

Yes, I definitely agree with that.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 7:22 pm

I think this article on nitpickers makes some realistic points:

http://thehathorlegacy.com/activism-101-the-nitpickers/

TheWadeSmellbringer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Dec 2014, 11:36 am

andrethemoogle wrote:
A good amount of Youtubers that do let's plays (those who play video games and post videos) would be as well. With the constant use of the "R" word, insults to those with special needs and a general negativity to those who are different.

Hey, as a Let's Player I take offense to that.

My Youtube Channel

My V-Log Channel

[url=thewadesmellbringer.tumblr.com]My Tumblr Blog[/url]

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Dec 2014, 1:45 pm

I believe the education system itself is probably the biggest opponent of the autistic community. It constantly propagates the image on an extroverted neurotypical person, and if you're an autistic person in middle and high school, then good luck. The kind of s**t that goes on in a typical school is living hell for an aspie. I can't imagine how many aspies have been screwed over by the education system. Worse, the "help" is more or less meant on integrating us into a system we hate.

Unlike Autism SpeaKKKs which mostly does hate speeches, the education system actually does bodily and psychological harm, and promotes the stigma even more directly with ghettoization.

AlienorAspie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Dec 2014, 5:15 am

SpirosD wrote:
Well, I'm going to be controversial here (start throwing rocks at me) but for me and throughout history the biggest enemy of autism has been religion, two faiths in particular, one being the results of the separation of the first. When they burned people at the stake and killed hundred of thousands people for witchcraft, being possessed, for not being normal or for not conforming to society, who do you think these people where? Autistic people or people with other disorders. Later on these same people where simply locked up, it's only at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century that prosecution toward "different people" stopped, what represents the time when countries started to go secular.
Sadly some religious groups are still living in the dark ages and still consider us has evil, mostly the baptist nuts. Her is an example of what they say about us (WARNING, what they say is very hard to take and read, especially if you have autism)
http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=69903

I thought this must be a troll/joke website but there really are lots of people like this?! I am so angry I'd actually condone someone ruining their lives/bank accounts (Wish I had the tech knowledge!).

Or someone should get started raping them all http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthre ... post921903 . After all, the bible said an eye for an eye ;)

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 11:54 am

The potential danger of the exacerbation of the us vs them ideology clearly explained.

In one word.

Scary.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 12:08 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
SpirosD wrote:
Well, I'm going to be controversial here (start throwing rocks at me) but for me and throughout history the biggest enemy of autism has been religion, two faiths in particular, one being the results of the separation of the first. When they burned people at the stake and killed hundred of thousands people for witchcraft, being possessed, for not being normal or for not conforming to society, who do you think these people where? Autistic people or people with other disorders. Later on these same people where simply locked up, it's only at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century that prosecution toward "different people" stopped, what represents the time when countries started to go secular.
Sadly some religious groups are still living in the dark ages and still consider us has evil, mostly the baptist nuts. Her is an example of what they say about us (WARNING, what they say is very hard to take and read, especially if you have autism)

The Landover Baptist Church is not real. It is a satirical website that mocks the Christian Right. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landover_Baptist_Church http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_right.

It really bums me out that they put their fictional churches location as Iowa. I live in Iowa.

blast335
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jan 2015, 4:40 pm

SpirosD wrote:

Ok the witch trials the whole not being normal means you get executed was NOT carried out with religious intent, but instead by politicians using a twisted version of the bible to justify their rule and to suppress any revolutions against them.

I speak on behalf of no-one but myself. For how can I represent anyone else? If someone shares my opinion on a topic, are we now the same person? With the same opinions on all topics? No, of course not.
-Blast335 (me)

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 12:19 am

blast335 wrote:
Ok the witch trials the whole not being normal means you get executed was NOT carried out with religious intent, but instead by politicians using a twisted version of the bible to justify their rule and to suppress any revolutions against them.

I think I had already pointed out it was mostly done by secular authorities. And that the writer of the Witches Hammer was considered a nut case by his immediate church superiors. Additionally it is highly unlikely that his co-author actually helped write the book, or was even aware of the project to write it to begin with, since from what I have read in the introduction from translation of the book I own he was not even interested in witches.

But suppressing revolts, not really. And the political leaders of that time had no trouble prosecuting protestants/catholics without having to call them witches at top of that. That does not mean that the religious authorities of the other side where not demonized (like spreading the story that Luther has the devil as a father), but I do not remember them being called witches.

No it was more part of the general heightened tension and unrest of the time leading to what can be called paranoia.

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2015, 4:06 pm

Why in hell's name are we still discussing Landover Baptist Church, a parody for heaven's sake? (No pun intended)