Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

jbw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Oct 2014, 7:34 am

A question for extroverted aspies: What is your dominant learning style?

I am an introverted aspie, and my dominant learning style is autodidactic: direct observation of the physical world and conscious pattern detection and pattern refinement.

From what I have read and observed, the dominant learning style of typical humans seems to be social learning: intuitive copying of behaviour and subconscious processing of non-verbal signals from others.

How do extroverted aspies learn?

Based on comments made by extroverted aspies on WP I strongly suspect my dad may be an extroverted aspie. Now I am really curious about this question.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 11:39 am

Autodidactic learning is like pioneering without a guide. Social learning seems to need the guide.
My husband used to be a teacher. He told me once that some of his autodidactic learners hated criticism even if it was constructive only due to the fact that they were still observing and felt as if someone told them the ending to the movie they were watching. They wanted to draw their own conclusions. My son is an extroverted aspie. He is mostly an auditory learner. He learns by doing as well. I can't remember the term for this. Pictures and graphs are meaningless to him.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 11:50 am

I'm a repressed extroverted Aspie.

I learn by reading or by doing. I have a hard time learning from videos. If I learn from watching and working with someone else, I might remember how to do it and I might not. Mostly I have to teach myself anything I want to remember.

jbw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Oct 2014, 2:14 pm

Thanks! Very interesting, so learning by reading and doing is also an important or even dominant learning style for at least some extroverted aspies.

Any further confirmation in this direction?

Any counter examples?

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 6:21 pm

I'm an extroverted Aspie and I learn best by having someone show me how to do something. I can also learn from watching a video of someone demonstrating something. If those two best options aren't available, I get a children's book from the library if I wanna learn how to do something.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2014, 11:07 am

I'm extroverted and I learn best through hands-on performance; auditory is my second-best learning style. However, when I am in surroundings with too many different stimuli, I find it hard to learn via any method, because I can only direct my attention to one stimulus at a time.

It's relatively hard to find auditory materials for some types of self-learned topics. So when I have to self-learn something, I usually have the computer read stuff to me (if I read out loud on my own, I get too distracted by the act of translating visual to auditory to actually understand the meaning of what I'm reading). I process best when I can talk things out loud and perhaps even act them out. Social situations are particularly conducive to that. Switching from one modality to another takes too long so I'm not good at reading a question and answering it out loud, for example.

Even though I'm somewhat of a visual thinker, I'm a very poor visual learner, socially and otherwise.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.