Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

lumpyspacegoddess
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Oct 2014, 5:33 am

Up until 2 wks ago I was taking my citalopram everyday. I have been reading everywhere including the leaflet insert with the box that citalopram, as it thins blood, can cause problems with menstrual cycles and make them heavier/irregular.

For nearly a yr and a half I have had to take menafamic acid every month, cos the gp assumed it was my contraceptive implant that was causing my periods to become so heavy. Yet I stay off citalopram for 2 wks, and the period I'm having now is the lightest I've had in ages....

Should I demand that I get put on a different medication? I've discussed this a while bk with professionals but they seemed to be rather dismissive and I was told to stay on them till the local Aspie Team give me an appointment.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2014, 8:46 am

Yes, I'd personally say that's a serious enough side-effect (consider the situation if you were severely cut or seriously injured in an accident) to warrant trying a different anti-depressant.

If the team won't listen (a lot of people seem to prefer medicating the side effects to looking for a different med that will cause less havoc), see if you can get another medical professional or :roll: a well-spoken, educated-sounding NT to take up your case with them.

Lacking all else, be a pain-in-the-ass. But be a pain-in-the-ass without using foul, threatening, or abusive language. Otherwise you could find that they're also being un-cooperative about making you take something a lot worse than citalopram. :x 8O

lumpyspacegoddess
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2014, 12:36 pm

Thank you for that advice Buyer Beware :) my appointment with the aspie team is next month so I'm going to bring it up with them (in my past experience they are very vigilant in making sure the meds balance is right).