Do certain words make you laugh??

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2014, 3:17 am

If I have ever laughed it was today. Thank you, Kip.
Umpimähkäistyttämättömyyksinssäkäänköpähän.

Ask Moomingirl. Her Finnish surpasses mine.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2014, 12:10 am

another word that makes me laugh: Ryyppyyn.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

HamtaroCappy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Nov 2014, 6:59 pm

I made up a word in school today: squinklepuff. I can't say it without laughing for some reason. It sounds like something out of Jabberwocky.

Arlo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Nov 2014, 7:06 pm

Cattywampus

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 7:26 pm

i made up a word when i was 6 when i could not find another adequate word in my tiny lexicon to describe the subject at had (i think a card game).

Scribbichibby.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

FracturedRocket
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 8:55 pm

I can't say "buckles" without cracking up. :D

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 12:23 am

"cubbies" does not make me laugh.
it makes me cringe. it's just something about "ubi" sounds all together that is unpleasant.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 4:57 am

infernal inflatulance Image Image

Matthaeus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 2:23 pm

Booyakasha wrote:
Dunno - that gogogoch in the end just made me laugh out loud for some reason. Long words somehow sound funny to me.

Try floccinaucinihilipilification, lol

Web Page Name

Sometimes I burst out laughing for no reason, though, too.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 2:29 pm

Matthaeus wrote:
Booyakasha wrote:
Dunno - that gogogoch in the end just made me laugh out loud for some reason. Long words somehow sound funny to me.

Web Page Name

Oh lol, yes that's a funny one. it would be funny to see someone actually using it.

Matthaeus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 2:32 pm

It's so musical one could almost dance to it. :D

How about this one?

pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

:P

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 2:35 pm

"an obscure term ostensibly referring to a lung disease caused by silica dust"??? :lol:

Where are you finding these words????

Matthaeus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 2:40 pm

Sorry, should have provided the link.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... ntarianism

You can listen to it being said, too.

It elicited some boisterous laughter from me. LOL

the pneumo... word, I mean

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 3:21 pm

lol thanks for the link. that's some mighty funny word!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 3:21 pm

Booyakasha wrote:
Matthaeus wrote:
Booyakasha wrote:

Web Page Name

Oh lol, yes that's a funny one. it would be funny to see someone actually using it.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords...
Back in the eighteenth century, Eton College had a grammar book which listed a set of words from Latin which all meant ?of little or no value?. In order, those were flocci, nauci, nihili, and pili (which sound like four of the seven dwarves, Roman version, but I digress). As a learned joke, somebody put all four of these together and then stuck ?fication on the end to make a noun for the act of deciding that something is totally and absolutely valueless (a verb, floccinaucinihilipilificate, to judge a thing to be valueless, could also be constructed, but hardly anybody ever does). The first recorded use is by William Shenstone in a letter in 1741: ?I loved him for nothing so much as his flocci-nauci-nihili-pili-fication of money?.

A quick Latin lesson: flocci is derived from floccus, literally a tuft of wool and the source of English words like flocculate, but figuratively in Latin something trivial; pili is likewise the plural of pilus, a hair, which we have inherited in words like depilatory, but which in Latin could mean a whit, jot, trifle or generally a thing that is insignificant; nihili is from nihil, nothing, as in words like nihilism and annihilate; nauci just means worthless.
The word?s main function is to be trotted out as an example of a long word (it was the longest in the first edition of the Oxford English Dictionary but pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanocon... edged it out in the second). It had a rare public airing in 1999 when Senator Jesse Helms used it in commenting on the demise of the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty: ?I note your distress at my floccinaucinihilipilification of the CTBT?.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 3:31 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Booyakasha wrote:
Matthaeus wrote:
Booyakasha wrote:

Web Page Name

http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords...
Back in the eighteenth century, Eton College had a grammar book which listed a set of words from Latin which all meant ?of little or no value?. In order, those were flocci, nauci, nihili, and pili (which sound like four of the seven dwarves, Roman version, but I digress). As a learned joke, somebody put all four of these together and then stuck ?fication on the end to make a noun for the act of deciding that something is totally and absolutely valueless (a verb, floccinaucinihilipilificate, to judge a thing to be valueless, could also be constructed, but hardly anybody ever does). The first recorded use is by William Shenstone in a letter in 1741: ?I loved him for nothing so much as his flocci-nauci-nihili-pili-fication of money?.

A quick Latin lesson: flocci is derived from floccus, literally a tuft of wool and the source of English words like flocculate, but figuratively in Latin something trivial; pili is likewise the plural of pilus, a hair, which we have inherited in words like depilatory, but which in Latin could mean a whit, jot, trifle or generally a thing that is insignificant; nihili is from nihil, nothing, as in words like nihilism and annihilate; nauci just means worthless.
The word?s main function is to be trotted out as an example of a long word (it was the longest in the first edition of the Oxford English Dictionary but pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanocon... edged it out in the second). It had a rare public airing in 1999 when Senator Jesse Helms used it in commenting on the demise of the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty: ?I note your distress at my floccinaucinihilipilification of the CTBT?.

Now that's very interesting, thanks for the info!