Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2014, 9:26 pm

Does anyone here practice Islam or identify as a Muslim>

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 10:17 am

Probably no one who would openly admit it, as the abuse that they would likely endure is not worth outing oneself for.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Oct 2014, 10:36 am

There are a few not seen them around for a while.

The guy who has a lion for a profile picture is one, then there are a couple who I'm not actually sure if they are religious or what but are from the Middle East and know a lot about Islam. Face Of Boo is one, MCalavera is another (the latter in particularly often takes skeptical positions but I can't remember if he's an atheist or just an unconventional liberal Muslim).

SpirosD
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Oct 2014, 4:25 pm

Not sure you will find much Muslims on wrong planet.
I also notice outside in the world that they are no Muslims with ASD or Asperger's, it's feels like it something very taboo in their religion and culture that they don't talk about it, don't do any diagnosis and parents and families in these communities don't notice anything because of the culture and way of seeing stuff that comes with Islam.
And it's not like I live in Oklahoma where there is maybe 10 Muslims, I live in France where Muslims are 13% of the population, so I run into them every day.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Oct 2014, 5:04 pm

SpirosD wrote:
I also notice outside in the world that they are no Muslims with ASD or Asperger's,

I know one and I'm fairly sure I've met others.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 5:06 pm

There was one here about 3-4 months ago. He was a 15-year-old Turkish kid.

SpirosD
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Oct 2014, 5:41 pm

I maybe didn't make myself understood, I mean the percentage of people with Asperger's among Muslims is the same like all over, what I was saying is that the amount of Muslims diagnose with it is very very low, even in the west where lots of them live.
Maybe Turkey being more modern and being officially a secular country might have a little more people diagnose but I would say the amount in Turkey is the same has in the west, it also depends the origins of these Muslims, Turkey is not the same has Algeria, Lebanon, Iran, Saudi Arabia or Indonesia (biggest Muslim country in the world).

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 7:44 pm

There was that fellow named Azaam (sp?) who was quite militant about it. There were a few others (not necessarily militant in their Islam). Boo is a secular athiest Lebanese who knows muslim middle eastern culture upclose. But except for Boo, these folks dont seem to show on a regular basis.

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Oct 2014, 2:12 am

The last one around here that I recall had some monstrous ideas of justice. He considered it "merciful" to have one's hand cut off in the event of conviction for a crime, as opposed to a stint in jail. :roll:

tern
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Oct 2014, 5:11 am

I wrote to Talha Ahsan when he was in jail here, you remember he's an aspie. No conversion pressure but I got a card for the Muslim festival Eid, which was a nice sentiment.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2014, 8:29 am

naturalplastic wrote:
There was that fellow named Azaam (sp?) who was quite militant about it...

Azaam seems to lurk here once a week. He may even see this thread and respond to it. His militancy seemed more trollish than reasoned, so it may be more than mere coincidence that he stopped posting soon after people stopped responding to his posts.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2014, 11:29 am

Theres Muslimmetalhead!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2014, 5:59 pm

I'm heading towards Islam but don't call myself a Muslim yet as I haven't taken shahadda. Not something to be ashamed of.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 4:25 am

Im no muslim nor christian I am an infidel i mean um athiest I dont believe in imaginary invisible men nore allow such make believe friends dictate my life!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Liveirarica
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Nov 2014, 2:31 pm

chrisc1995 wrote:
Does anyone here practice Islam or identify as a Muslim>
I am a Muslim. I'm pretty knowledgeable and practice it. Feel free to ever ask questions or debate me, I am open for lecturing and arguing.

To the other poster speaking about diagnosis of Muslims; I am sure of there are many, they just aren't medically diagnosed due to the ignorance of what Autism is, most consider it just for a child being an immature child, and elderly adults are likely not to be diagnosed for various reasons, it's mostly the new generation that are known to be diagnosed.