Eye flicking, Hand licking, Wrist biting, Self scratching

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

InYourHead
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Oct 2014, 5:23 am

Hello. I need help understanding Eye flicking, Hand licking, Wrist biting, Self scratching. Are there any people here who may do those things that can please help me understand why my daughter is doing that, and what I can to do help -- as honest and forward as possible please.

Her eyes and hands are very swollen -- hands and adjacent potions of arms are red, puffy, and have open wounds that are continuously bitten open.

I want to know anything from anyone who might have an idea about what's going on. Giving her headphones to listen to seem to help a lot. I think she's either in pain or seizing too.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 8:33 am

If headphones "help a lot," then your daughter probably has sensory issues. She might be overly sensitive to one or more of the senses (especially hearing, since the headphones helped).

Has she been diagnosed with anything?

How is she developing otherwise?

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 11:55 am

Have you ruled out allergies/eczema?

I only mention these because my hands and eyes get VERY itchy because of allergies and dry skin. I will often bite my fingers, hands and sometimes my wrist to deal with the itch - kind of like how an animal will bite themselves when they have an itch. It often works better than scratching. Sometimes, I will rub my finger against my teeth. I have flicked my eyes occasionally, but not much (usually I rub them instead.) But, I will flick if it seems like something is stuck on my eyelashes or in the outside corner of my eye.

unit_00
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Oct 2014, 2:25 pm

well if she's the one doing it to herself, and you can rule out the possibilities of allergies like the other posters said, then how is her environment? how old is she?

when i was a bit younger and very stressed sometimes certain noises were just unbearable, i'm not sure how to explain it, like they physically hurt my brain. i did stuff like that to cope. although i thought it meant i was crazy. maybe it helps when you give her headphones cus it blocks stuff out?

does she do it in front of you? also you said she maybe be "in pain or seizing too." do you mean like seizures?! that's no good