Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 10:55 am

I didn't take my medication yesterday. I slept perfectly for 9 hours and I was able to get out of bed. I used to suffer from insomnia and my medication was the only reason I was able to sleep. I suspect that I've changed in a way that I can sleep normally so the medication is just overkill. If I can sleep for 9 hours without it there's no wonder that I sleep for 12+ hours with it. I thought it was depression (atypical) that was making me sleep excessively. Maybe it's really that I no longer have trouble sleeping naturally. I still need the medication for other things but the once beneficial side effect has become a problem.

The only way to find out if I've actually changed in the way I think I have is to stop my medication and see how I sleep for a week. That way I know if it's a fluke or not. Obviously I'm not going to do that experiment so I'll never know.

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Oct 2014, 1:25 am

Some medications do cause lots of sleepiness, so that would make sense. What medication do you take?

Is there any reason why you can't give it up for a week or so?

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 1:00 pm

I quit psychiatric meds, it is not something to begin lightly. Depending on what you're on and how long you have been taking it, you might have some very bad days ahead. But I'm glad I did.
Risperidol especially, that stuff should be reserved for emergency use. A few years on that will turn most people into George Romero zombies.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 5:37 pm

staremaster wrote:
I quit psychiatric meds, it is not something to begin lightly. Depending on what you're on and how long you have been taking it, you might have some very bad days ahead. But I'm glad I did.
Risperidol especially, that stuff should be reserved for emergency use. A few years on that will turn most people into George Romero zombies.

Maybe. I was on Seroquel for way over a year. It's a very similar drug. I don't know if I was on Risperdal for a year. I'm not a zombie though. Neither drug has damaged me very much at all.

And it's not the sedating effect that's making me sleep 12+ hours. I was on it long before I started sleeping so long. It never made me sleep that long in all that time and nothing's changed dosage wise which makes me think the changes to my sleep can't be explained with just the side effect of drowsiness on its own.

stavrogin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Nov 2014, 9:37 am

for the past year I've taken risperidone, and a couple of years ago I've tried seroquel too. indeed, they provoked a compelling tiredness and somnolence (especially the second one previously mentioned: the seroquel, I mean), but I guess that those meds, even with these side effects, are unavoidable, at least until when who is getting them will take back his psychological balance. anyhow, stop taking prescribed medication suddenly is highly irresponsible and ill-judged

B19
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 2:35 am

OP, check out these on the net:

adrenal fatigue
hypothyroidism
anaemia

If any seem to fit you, get some blood tests done.