Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 11:01 pm

PlainsAspie wrote:
Anyway, I think ASAN falling would be a major setback for us.

Even though it happened before I knew I was on the spectrum never mind had any knowledge of the Autism rights movement "Aspies for Freedom" imploding was a major setback also. The slur was specifically against Aspies in particular not Autistics in general so why am I surprised ASAN is not so enthusiastic about going after people who slurred people who received a defunct diagnoses that they wanted gone in the first place?

While the blacks and gays had their factions there was not divisions on core non negotiable issues like we have.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 2:52 pm

I don't think AFF was really developed into much beyond a message board at their peak.

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jan 2015, 3:56 pm

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 4:07 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
PlainsAspie wrote:
While the blacks and gays had their factions there was not divisions on core non negotiable issues like we have.

Really? Cause Malcom X, Marcus Garvey, and Martin Luther King totally agreed on everything.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 5:03 am

Ganondox wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
PlainsAspie wrote:

Really? Cause Malcom X, Marcus Garvey, and Martin Luther King totally agreed on everything.

It was me who said that not Ganondox. They had disagreements on some deep and important issues. I wrote "core non negotiable issues". I don't believe any of them disagreed on matters as fundamental such as such as is being black is a disease or a difference?, should blacks be cured and made white? . We do have these differences

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 5:34 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
PlainsAspie wrote:

It was me who said that not Ganondox. They had disagreements on some deep and important issues. I wrote "core non negotiable issues". I don't believe any of them disagreed on matters as fundamental such as such as is being black is a disease or a difference?, should blacks be cured and made white? . We do have these differences

If you define "core non negotiable issues" that way, no, but generally there WERE fundamentally contradictory attitudes in the civil rights movement of what direction it should go, you can't have both separatism and integration. It doesn't make any sense to make this comparison with blacks never having to decide if blacks should be cured as being black has never been viewed as a disease.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 9:47 am

Martin Luther King and Malcolm X had the same objective: raising people of African descent from the depths of racism.

What they disagreed on was the methods by which this would be accomplished. Later on, however, Malcolm X became more conciliatory. He converted to a more "conventional" sect of Islam right before he was shot.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jan 2015, 5:52 pm

DevilInPgh wrote:
Those self-serving pricks have done nothing for anyone but themselves.

You have no idea how hard I laughed at this. Self-serving is the entire point of self advocacy. That's what you do when you self advocate, you advocate, for yourself, it's not supposed to be for other people. It's also desperately needed when we don't have much of a voice, are heavily disenfranchised, don't have a place in society, and have an egregious 80% unemployment rate. Munchkin...

DevilInPgh wrote:
I ask for help, they ignore me. ....blocked from Facebook and Twitter.

So, your valid criticism entails them not returning your phone call, and getting blocked after you get huffy with them. Ok.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2015, 2:12 am

Ganondox wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
PlainsAspie wrote:

If you define "core non negotiable issues" that way, no, but generally there WERE fundamentally contradictory attitudes in the civil rights movement of what direction it should go, you can't have both separatism and integration. It doesn't make any sense to make this comparison with blacks never having to decide if blacks should be cured as being black has never been viewed as a disease.

Blacks did not, but gays did

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Jan 2015, 10:09 pm

All I know is that I live relatively close to one of their local chapters, and I volunteered my help and services to them. They never got back to me ... no email ... nothing. And as I had discussed to another person my wish to serve as an advocate, I was told to get in touch with them as they would appreciate my services. Nothing.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 1:24 pm

glider18 wrote:
All I know is that I live relatively close to one of their local chapters, and I volunteered my help and services to them. They never got back to me ... no email ... nothing. And as I had discussed to another person my wish to serve as an advocate, I was told to get in touch with them as they would appreciate my services. Nothing.

The lack of its reply to your offers suggests a lack of leadership. Contact the national office. You would be a great chapter leader.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

absatlow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jun 2015, 1:23 pm

I support 75% or so of what ASAN advocates for. Do not really like the staff. They have ignored my emails as well. Lydia Brown, one ASAN worker, unfriended me ignored a lot of my Facebook chats. I think they make up maybe 10% of ASD as a whole and try to advocate for stuff that would help their piece of the pie. I feel that ASAN also destroyed the image of self advocacy to society by doing such. My goal is to try to advocate for all of ASD (including people with intellectual disabilities) not a small segment like ASAN does. From having more acute ASD myself (with a learning disability and more visible symptoms), I am well aware that what ASAN advocates for won't work for all. I also think they are biased because of where they get their funding from.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2015, 10:59 pm

absatlow wrote:
I also think they are biased because of where they get their funding from.

Where does their funding come from?

Also
Questions for Ari Ne'eman: Partnering with participants - Simons Foundation Autism Research Initiative

absatlow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jun 2015, 5:57 am

I don't know but have guesses. From being an entrepreneur for 10yrs, I'm pretty good at reading infrastructure (and funding is part of it)

Important: These are guesses not facts

Main ones:
1. The ARC
2. P&A groups
3. Maybe other adult transition services

Side ones:
1. Memberships
2. Annual Fundraiser

You can possibly check yourself. Google Guide Star and look for ASAN's 990 tax forms on their site. You will need to create a free membership with Guide Star to obtain this info. This info is open to the general public. If you find out anything, let me know.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2015, 11:25 am

Top Funders:

Mitsubishi Electric America Foundation- $243,281
Special Hope Foundation- $75,000
National Disability Institute - $57,699

absatlow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jun 2015, 2:40 pm

Whee did you find this info?