Republican 16%  16%  [ 8 ]
Democrat 27%  27%  [ 13 ]
Independent 57%  57%  [ 28 ]
Total votes : 49

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 8:12 pm

I tend Republican just because there really isn't a better choice. I'm not wild about social conservatism but I'm even less wild about magical thinking on government budgets, sanctuary cities, gun bans in urban areas, gutless foreign policy, the 'why solve a problem when you can buy a voting block', etc..

Seems like the 'happy medium' in the middle is neo-conservatism/neo-liberalism which is the worst of both worlds; ie. you get steadily growing government, crony capitalism, a few feigns at solving problems but overall anything that makes its way through congress usually leaves us worse off. It's part of why I've really gotten quite a ways away from politics and have been trying to find ways to light a candle on my own rather than curse the darkness, particularly when the only person I can command or hold accountability for is myself. Panicking over the latest bad legislation, who the IRS is monitoring, which politician or head bureaucrat had all their subpoenaed emails conveniently vanish, etc. would leave me little time to feel well or enjoy life much.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 10:29 pm

I have an R on my voter registration card.
I tend to vote republican but I see them as usually nothing more than the lesser evil.
Most politicians are self serving douchebags or they wouldn't be in politics.

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 6:44 pm

AED121296 wrote:
So I have noticed a GOP minority on this forum so I just wanted to make a safe place for republicans to express their beliefs as well as a place for liberals to discover that us republicans aren't just "rich old white guys" and we come from all walks if life

We just tend to keep our heads down as we're used to being reviled, vilified, straw-manned and despised out here on the interwebs. Not just this forum, but every web discussion board I've ever joined has had a majority of liberal Democrat opinion and very little religious right-leaning Republican thought.

My theory? Most Republicans--especially the rich old white guys--are too busy earning money by engaging in capitalism to spend loads and loads of time surfing the web.

Me, I just don't have the patience to deal with the glaring ignorance and group-think mentality of your average web-Democrat. I get enough of their pap on facebook. I don't enjoy arguing with people who cannot be persuaded so I tend to keep out of political discussions--pretty much everywhere--and religious discussions on the web. You start from a position of most people making incorrect assumptions by identifying as Republican, Christian, white American female and you can't make the slightest dent in the pre-conceived notions that your audience has. You feel like your beating your gums to no avail and soon lose all energy or desire. No matter how many times you repeat your actual point of view, people keep arguing about what they think you believe base on the way liberal think-tanks, cable news networks and/or Saturday Night Live has painted and parodied you.

So usually my response to invitations to get into political or religious discussion on the web is no thank you, been there done that bought the t-shirt and ritually burned it to get the ptsd trauma out of my head. :mrgreen:

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 12:06 am

fwiw you wanted "there" not "their"

Seigfried
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jun 2015, 12:36 am

AntDog wrote:
I am a Republican but I wish the Republican Party was filled with actual conservatives and not RINO's. Sometimes like in the Presidential Elections of 2012 I felt like I was voting for a lesser of 2 evils. Third parties are a waste of votes under our stuck 2 party system.

I disagree with the philosophy of voting for the lesser of 2 evils. If you won't vote for a third party which better represents your political views because it won't make a difference, by that logic your vote won't make a noticeable difference by going to one of the major parties either.
This attitude just cements them in power further, even if a third party doesn't win if it gains a noticeable percentage of votes it will convince people that alternatives are not impossible.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2015, 3:47 am

I don't vote.. I don't believe in it.

Sometimes, I debate political issues on here and imagine "what-if" scenarios of what I would vote for. However, I don't believe in voting and I have only voted once in my life. Never do it again unless they give me a cookie next time.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2015, 9:44 am

Seigfried wrote:
AntDog wrote:
I am a Republican but I wish the Republican Party was filled with actual conservatives and not RINO's. Sometimes like in the Presidential Elections of 2012 I felt like I was voting for a lesser of 2 evils. Third parties are a waste of votes under our stuck 2 party system.

I disagree with the philosophy of voting for the lesser of 2 evils. If you won't vote for a third party which better represents your political views because it won't make a difference, by that logic your vote won't make a noticeable difference by going to one of the major parties either.
This attitude just cements them in power further, even if a third party doesn't win if it gains a noticeable percentage of votes it will convince people that alternatives are not impossible.

Convincing people that alternatives are not impossible can be the worst possible outcome, when all it does is split the electorate on one side of the spectrum.

For me it doesn't matter at all because i live in a winner take all state that is overwhelmingly conservative.

Seigfried
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jul 2015, 10:06 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
Seigfried wrote:
AntDog wrote:

Convincing people that alternatives are not impossible can be the worst possible outcome, when all it does is split the electorate on one side of the spectrum.

For me it doesn't matter at all because i live in a winner take all state that is overwhelmingly conservative.

hmm I never considered that, it could lead to one dominant party with unchecked power

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 10:41 pm

Independent.

Believe it or not, I've voted for both sides.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Jul 2015, 7:11 am

Good to be an independent thinker.

I'm not American.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 2:52 pm

^^^
lucky you.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Jul 2015, 3:05 pm

Yes, I'm starting to think so!

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 3:07 pm

envirozentinel wrote:

I have envied people who lived in the commonwealth ever since I could remember.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 7:40 pm

auntblabby wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:

I have envied people who lived in the commonwealth ever since I could remember.

which commonwealth?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 7:41 pm

NZ/Aus/GB/Canada.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 8:20 pm

auntblabby wrote:
NZ/Aus/GB/Canada.

so British commonwealth. I'm super glade to not been born in any of those.