Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 6:38 pm

Hey everyone, I know there are ten thousand different "diagnose me" threads that usually end up in the conclusion "we can't diagnose anyone", but I really want to ask this.
The thing is, I have cycles of moods that usually last for some hours-some days. In one mood I feel hyper agitated, confident, and I have a feeling that I can do anything, and super productive and workaholic, and anxious, with racing thoughts and emotions. In other times I feel completely down and depressive, not productive, without energy and motivation, sometimes even very sad for no reason. I know most people have mood swings but mine are really extreme, really overrreacted and over the top and unstable.
For instance, if someone says something rude to me and I am in a down mood, I cry and get hyper sad, no one cares about me, I suck etc. If I am in the agitated mood I am like "who cares? I am AWESOME!! !". And I usually can't identify triggers for the swings or my moods, they just happen.
I searched the web for Cyclothmia and it seems to fit, I did some tests and all were positive (even if they are not so reliable) and so on. But I talked about that to my psychologist and she said that people on the bipolar spectrum are necessarily intrusive and impulsive and my personality is not like that so I can't have it. Well, what do you think? Is it true that people on the bipolar spectrum are necessarily intrusive and impulsive?

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 6:58 pm

i'm bipolar and i'm not impulsive or intrusive. those things aren't in the diagnostic criteria. some people are like that when manic, but it's not universal. also, you may be hypomanic rather than full-blown manic when you're "up". what you describe sounds like rapid cycling bipolar disorder. i can't diagnose you, but a second opinion from a shrink might be in order.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 7:09 pm

Your description seems to me to be classic bipolar depression. But, I admit that there might be some other reasons for your characteristics and merely mimicking depression. Something as simple as eating right and at regular times can result in similar characteristics.

Good luck, either way.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2014, 5:08 pm

I don't know what your psychologist means by intrusive and impulsive. People can be impulsive when in a hypomanic or manic state, but I don't think it's a prerequisite. What you describe sounds like cyclothymia/bipolar but could also be borderline personality disorder, or even neither depending on how strong your symptoms actually are. Without further information and clinical experience it's impossible to make a diagnosis.

However, I wouldn't dismiss bipolar due to you not being intrusive or impulsive enough. After creating the Bipolar/AS chat thread (reading other people's experiences) and also going by my own experiences, the external manifestation of bipolar symptoms can be different in people with AS to people without AS. In my opinion, the external manic symptoms I exhibit are less obvious and less extreme (in terms of impulsive behaviour) than the internal emotions and thoughts I experience. My rigidity and black and white thinking when it comes to observing rules and laws, and my need for maintaining routine, actually safe-guard me from carrying out multiple impulsive wild ideas that come into my head when I am in a hypomanic state. I get intense desires to do things but I get an equally intense desire not to break rules/laws or break routine, so in many situations they balance each other out.

Another thing I've noticed (from reading other people's experiences, as I am naturally extroverted) is that when in a manic state, introverted people with AS suddenly start become extroverted in social situations. This symptom is often not picked up on by the psych because their extroverted, social behaviour is viewed as "normal" behaviour. Basically, people with AS/bipolar have a different behavioural 'baseline' to people with bipolar but without AS.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 3:50 pm

Thanks everyone for the help!

Quote:
you may be hypomanic rather than full-blown manic when you're "up". what you describe sounds like rapid cycling bipolar disorder

I did some research and I think you are quite right! If I am in the bipolar spectruum it's probably rapid cycling with hypomania.

sunshower wrote:
I don't know what your psychologist means by intrusive and impulsive. People can be impulsive when in a hypomanic or manic state, but I don't think it's a prerequisite. What you describe sounds like cyclothymia/bipolar but could also be borderline personality disorder, or even neither depending on how strong your symptoms actually are. Without further information and clinical experience it's impossible to make a diagnosis.

However, I wouldn't dismiss bipolar due to you not being intrusive or impulsive enough. After creating the Bipolar/AS chat thread (reading other people's experiences) and also going by my own experiences, the external manifestation of bipolar symptoms can be different in people with AS to people without AS. In my opinion, the external manic symptoms I exhibit are less obvious and less extreme (in terms of impulsive behaviour) than the internal emotions and thoughts I experience. My rigidity and black and white thinking when it comes to observing rules and laws, and my need for maintaining routine, actually safe-guard me from carrying out multiple impulsive wild ideas that come into my head when I am in a hypomanic state. I get intense desires to do things but I get an equally intense desire not to break rules/laws or break routine, so in many situations they balance each other out.

Another thing I've noticed (from reading other people's experiences, as I am naturally extroverted) is that when in a manic state, introverted people with AS suddenly start become extroverted in social situations. This symptom is often not picked up on by the psych because their extroverted, social behaviour is viewed as "normal" behaviour. Basically, people with AS/bipolar have a different behavioural 'baseline' to people with bipolar but without AS.

That's interesting! I would like to know more about how bipolar presents itself in people with ASD but I couldn't find many information about it, specially not useful for my case. I read that bipolar is common in people with ASD (I already knew that) and I found something about mixed state (which apparently has nothing to do with me). I wanted to know more about it.
When I am in the agitated state I don't get wild impulsive ideas, but at the same time I am a kind of rigid person and very strict about rules. However I may do things without thinking, but not necessarily things that people would consider impulsive. It's that usually I overthink EVERYTHING and I am very conscientious and when I am feeling like that I don't and act more "impulsively" (considering my usual state as reference), but that wouldn't be impulsive in average standards, maybe a just a little more like "normal" people.
About getting "extroverted", that's right! I start talking a lot (usually am quiet), but more like just talking talking, not really conversations, and I talk loud and fast and want everyone to pay attention (I usually speak quieter) and I love the attention I get, which is weird because I am usually shy and hate attention.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 3:52 pm

Thanks everyone for the help!

Quote:
you may be hypomanic rather than full-blown manic when you're "up". what you describe sounds like rapid cycling bipolar disorder

I did some research and I think you are quite right! If I am in the bipolar spectruum it's probably rapid cycling with hypomania.

sunshower wrote:

That's interesting! I would like to know more about how bipolar presents itself in people with ASD but I couldn't find many information about it, specially not useful for my case. I read that bipolar is common in people with ASD (I already knew that) and I found something about mixed state (which apparently has nothing to do with me). I wanted to know more about it.
When I am in the agitated state I don't get wild impulsive ideas, but at the same time I am a kind of rigid person and very strict about rules. However I may do things without thinking, but not necessarily things that people would consider impulsive. It's that usually I overthink EVERYTHING and I am very conscientious and when I am feeling like that I don't and act more "impulsively" (considering my usual state as reference), but that wouldn't be impulsive in average standards, maybe a just a little more like "normal" people.
About getting "extroverted", that's right! I start talking a lot (usually am quiet), but more like just talking talking, not really conversations, and I talk loud and fast and want everyone to pay attention (I usually speak quieter) and I love the attention I get, which is weird because I am usually shy and hate attention.

SignOfLazarus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 4:03 pm

Bipolar isn't personality.
I can be kind of hard on psychologists and psychiatrists, admittedly, so if mine suggested that I would probably ditch them, honestly. Mainly because it indicates a complete lack of understanding of the disorder, really?

Um... but you could seek a second opinion. If it is interfering with your life in terms of functioning you may want to just see what another provider might say and then think about the two professional opinions.

If your psychologist is willing to help you deal with what you are experiencing and acknowledge that-bipolar or not- these things are affecting you in some way even if not severely, for now maybe that's all you need?

Kurushimi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Nov 2014, 5:19 pm

Honestly it could be anything from borderline personality disorder to nutrition. I agree that if it interfering in your life you may want to seek a second psyche opinion and talk to your primary care physician as well.

"The sun came out, and I walked on my feet and heard with my ears. I hate the bits, the bits that stay down and I work, I function like I'm a girl. I hate it because I know it'll go away! The sun grows dark and chaos has come again."

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 5:29 pm

Rapid-cycling bipolar disorder is where you still meet the full criteria for the mood episodes, including the time requirement (must have symptoms nearly all day nearly everyday for at least x time: 4 days for hypomania, 1 week for mania and 2 weeks for major depression), but you get 4 or more episodes in a year. It doesn't refer to short-lasting mood swings that don't meet the full criteria for mood episodes.

Now, there is "ultra-rapid cycling," but that is controversial among psychopathologists:

http://www.currentpsychiatry.com/home/a ... 5a07d.html

HinaHantaCutie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Nov 2014, 2:03 pm

Hey! I have the very same issue (somewhat). I have been diagnosed with bipolar II (among other things) and from your description it sounds very likely that you could possibly have rapid cycling bipolar (a.k.a. bipolar II).

What makes your psychologist think that it isn't possible? Has s/he given any reason?

Crazypandalady
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2014, 11:07 am

Even rapid cycling bipolar has four or as many as ten of so per year. Each episode of depression must last two weeks and manic states must last four days.

I have bipolar and was having mood swings like you recently. It turned out to be hormonal based from PCOS.

Good luck I hope you find the problem