Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Erlyrisa
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2015, 11:19 pm

KindleHeart wrote:
I don't have OCD but do have some tendencies. My older brother does. He really struggled with it and was bullied. He had a lot of anxiety and difficulty coping. However, when he went to college things changed. He made huge strides and completed his masters degree.

OCD is actually quite curable, but are you sure you want to cure it?
Consider all the time wasted doing all of those "weird" tasks (To me not all of them are weird - I just like things straight/angled -> gets worse if you learn math -> ever lined up multiple objects in a progressive series? - it's like doing modern architecture: and many architects actually are quite anal(AKA OCD) )

Cleaning, I have learnt to not bother with: Live with someone that is always creating the mess, and you will soon learn to give up...but as soon as I am alone , I doo get back into bad habits.

Living with the anxiety of living in squaller (or perceived mess) can be difficult.
The anxiety of being pushed by previous thoughts, that don't stop cropping up into thought processes: I recommend turning your thoughts into an art piece and getting it out. (Then get rid of the art peice: You don't want constant reminder)

OCD is actually cute.

There is the opposite: An OCD type person that is messy. (Hoarder) It's the exact same condition, but in this case the persons compulsion is repeating themselves, in what looks tobe either laziness or an addiction. eg. Eating over the kitchen sink...which many males do. This isn't OCD but actually a practicallity, but when it becomes routine behaviour it's an addiction, but one that has a practical excuse. For typical obsessive compulsives (the cleaners, the liner uppers, the repeaters/counters, the line steppers, the line followers, etc.) The practical excuse can actually be "art".

The fact that you are occupying your time can be an advantage in a world where there is mass un-employment...be thankful that you won't be one of the commoners that cannot occupy themselves and go out to the streets to pillage and rape. (and you would actually be a very good farmer - lining up all those crops in your abode to perfection)

KindleHeart
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Feb 2015, 11:38 pm

Erlyrisa wrote:
KindleHeart wrote:
I don't have OCD but do have some tendencies. My older brother does. He really struggled with it and was bullied. He had a lot of anxiety and difficulty coping. However, when he went to college things changed. He made huge strides and completed his masters degree.

OCD is actually quite curable, but are you sure you want to cure it?
Consider all the time wasted doing all of those "weird" tasks (To me not all of them are weird - I just like things straight/angled -> gets worse if you learn math -> ever lined up multiple objects in a progressive series? - it's like doing modern architecture: and many architects actually are quite anal(AKA OCD) )

Cleaning, I have learnt to not bother with: Live with someone that is always creating the mess, and you will soon learn to give up...but as soon as I am alone , I doo get back into bad habits.

Living with the anxiety of living in squaller (or perceived mess) can be difficult.
The anxiety of being pushed by previous thoughts, that don't stop cropping up into thought processes: I recommend turning your thoughts into an art piece and getting it out. (Then get rid of the art peice: You don't want constant reminder)

OCD is actually cute.

There is the opposite: An OCD type person that is messy. (Hoarder) It's the exact same condition, but in this case the persons compulsion is repeating themselves, in what looks tobe either laziness or an addiction. eg. Eating over the kitchen sink...which many males do. This isn't OCD but actually a practicallity, but when it becomes routine behaviour it's an addiction, but one that has a practical excuse. For typical obsessive compulsives (the cleaners, the liner uppers, the repeaters/counters, the line steppers, the line followers, etc.) The practical excuse can actually be "art".

The fact that you are occupying your time can be an advantage in a world where there is mass un-employment...be thankful that you won't be one of the commoners that cannot occupy themselves and go out to the streets to pillage and rape. (and you would actually be a very good farmer - lining up all those crops in your abode to perfection)

I never said I want to cure it or not cure it. I posted about my brothers experiences. He found ways to overcome and adapt to his OCD. Its rarely an issue for him anymore. My tendencies don't cause anxiety or interfere with my life.

Erlyrisa
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 12:16 am

KindleHeart wrote:

I never said I want to cure it or not cure it. I posted about my brothers experiences. He found ways to overcome and adapt to his OCD. Its rarely an issue for him anymore. My tendencies don't cause anxiety or interfere with my life.

Then he is "cured" coping...ie. Has an occupation, something to keep him well.

OCD can actually be developed later in life: Lonliness/Depression can set it. Some people soon learn that they are repeating their lives, others don't and realise they need help from an institution. Some OCD gets even worse overtime, if there are continual depressive moments in life: The OCD can dissapear and be replaced by schizophrenia/psychotic,/delusional break.

OCD can also be brought on by simply becoming a parent. -> but this is a good thing. (Sadly some of them turn into helicopter parents, the OCD style is alleviated in early rearing, then the soccermom dynamic sets in, then teenage years and worry set in, then the worry that they will never see their bundles of joy sets in...note: sometimes the father actually does all the Hellicoptering via the wife).

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 4:24 pm

I had it worse when I was a child. It was other kids that triggered it, I was obsessed about being clean because other kids said I stunk and was dirty and said I was ugly so that got me started with the need to be clean and fear getting dirty, I was also obsessed about a clean house because other people had a clean house and kids would comment about my family being weird so that got me started to with needing to keep the house clean.

When I was in high school, I was already having anxiety and it was worse that year but then my dad had brought home this puppy and he bought it impulsively because of the sale price and it was a miniature Schnauzer. But that dog liked to pee in the house and couldn't seem to be house trained and he would wait until he was inside to go pee and that caused me tremendous anxiety. I tried to solve my issue by keeping him outside or locked in his cage but my family didn't agree and I had more anxiety and the last resort was trying to be like Frankie by deciding to have ODD to get my way because he always got his way so I tried it and it backfired because my mother threatened to put me in a hospital. I also started getting nightmares about the dog and would dream about him tormenting me and I would also dream about torturing him. I also started to get violent thoughts about torturing him like burning him with hot water, burn him on a stove, and I even started to think about killing him and those thoughts were always in my head. I would always think about drowning him in our pond and making it look like an accident and just say he fell in and drowned and pretend I don't know where he went and then he gets found by someone else and his body is in the water. But instead mother nature saved me because one night he chased after my mom's Saab and he slipped on some ice and fell against the car and died. I did so much better and my OCD and anxiety lessened and the violent thoughts about him an the compelling to kill him went away. I felt I was going literally insane and probably would have eventually killed him TBH because I would have given into the urges and done it because I would be so desperate to get out of this hell hole and being tortured by this puppy and I would have reached a breaking point and snap. But to everyone else, including Frankie, he was just a innocent animal. :roll: Maybe he was innocent because he could have been one of those dogs that likes to piss in the house and because we had just moved house and I was already having more anxiety, we should not have gotten another animal. We should have taken it back to the store or sell it to someone else. I would say my parents were partially to blame too because my parents could have gotten rid of him and it was night the right time for another pet, especially having one that pees in the house and won't seem to toilet train. But back then I just thought he was evil and was defiant and liked doing it to upset me so it was always war between us. I could remember coming home from school one day and he was inside and he saw me and started to lift his leg and I charged after him and he took off running and lifted his leg again and I kept chasing after him and I wrestled to throw him outside and I won the battle. I hated that animal and was relieved when my mother told me he got hit by a car and died. But my brothers were pretty upset but my mom and I were just relieved. She didn't like that dog either because she had to to deal with my anxiety and how crazy I went and it was hell for her too because of me all because of that damn dog she called it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Erlyrisa
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 11:57 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I had it worse when I was a child. It was other kids that triggered it, I was obsessed about being clean because other kids said I stunk and was dirty and said I was ugly so that got me started with the need to be clean and fear getting dirty, I was also obsessed about a clean house because other people had a clean house and kids would comment about my family being weird so that got me started to with needing to keep the house clean.

When I was in high school, I was already having anxiety and it was worse that year but then my dad had brought home this puppy and he bought it impulsively because of the sale price and it was a miniature Schnauzer. But that dog liked to pee in the house and couldn't seem to be house trained and he would wait until he was inside to go pee and that caused me tremendous anxiety. I tried to solve my issue by keeping him outside or locked in his cage but my family didn't agree and I had more anxiety and the last resort was trying to be like Frankie by deciding to have ODD to get my way because he always got his way so I tried it and it backfired because my mother threatened to put me in a hospital. I also started getting nightmares about the dog and would dream about him tormenting me and I would also dream about torturing him. I also started to get violent thoughts about torturing him like burning him with hot water, burn him on a stove, and I even started to think about killing him and those thoughts were always in my head. I would always think about drowning him in our pond and making it look like an accident and just say he fell in and drowned and pretend I don't know where he went and then he gets found by someone else and his body is in the water. But instead mother nature saved me because one night he chased after my mom's Saab and he slipped on some ice and fell against the car and died. I did so much better and my OCD and anxiety lessened and the violent thoughts about him an the compelling to kill him went away. I felt I was going literally insane and probably would have eventually killed him TBH because I would have given into the urges and done it because I would be so desperate to get out of this hell hole and being tortured by this puppy and I would have reached a breaking point and snap. But to everyone else, including Frankie, he was just a innocent animal. :roll: Maybe he was innocent because he could have been one of those dogs that likes to piss in the house and because we had just moved house and I was already having more anxiety, we should not have gotten another animal. We should have taken it back to the store or sell it to someone else. I would say my parents were partially to blame too because my parents could have gotten rid of him and it was night the right time for another pet, especially having one that pees in the house and won't seem to toilet train. But back then I just thought he was evil and was defiant and liked doing it to upset me so it was always war between us. I could remember coming home from school one day and he was inside and he saw me and started to lift his leg and I charged after him and he took off running and lifted his leg again and I kept chasing after him and I wrestled to throw him outside and I won the battle. I hated that animal and was relieved when my mother told me he got hit by a car and died. But my brothers were pretty upset but my mom and I were just relieved. She didn't like that dog either because she had to to deal with my anxiety and how crazy I went and it was hell for her too because of me all because of that damn dog she called it.

Same thing happened to my mum (she's the dog). Took 25 years to drown her. Thankyou Earth. (all started around the Virgin Diaries time) - how did those movies go at the time? Plenty income?