Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

InfoPunkie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Nov 2014, 1:53 pm

Anyone else have a problem with drinking water because it tastes different or horrible each time? I have that problem and often times I cannot stand the taste, I've taken to buying bottled water as I can drink that, although not Evian as that tastes horrible too.

Anyone have a similar problem and if so do you have a solution to this besides just buying bottled water?

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 3:50 pm

Certain water I like, and certain water I don't. This could be from well, tap, or bottle. I generally will put up with the taste if I mildly dislike it, but if I hate the taste (mostly if it is either too metallic or too "dry"), I will not drink it.

I have my favorite brands of bottled water and will only buy those unless I have no choice. At home, we have a well and the water is pretty good. My parents have a well, but their water is a bit metallic-tasting. It is OK if it has been through the Britta filter.

I can definitely taste the difference between waters! LOL.

I also can identify many different brands of the same flavor of soda just by taste. I have been told I can do this remarkably well, when most people I know don't really notice a difference. Cola is cola to them (or lemon-lime, or whatever.) Not to me!

superpentil
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Nov 2014, 4:09 pm

I can taste a difference in the water and if it taste very bad, then I will not drink it. I remember tap water, and then the taste after I put it through a Brita filter. HUGE difference. Tasted so much better. Voss, Fiji, Dasani, Arrowhead, and Aquafina are my favorite brands when it comes to bottled water. There are different ways water is treated. Distilled water is pretty pure, but can be kinda nasty without added minerals. You have just spring water. You can have tap water that is treated (which I find cheap). There are a lot more.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 175 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 37 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

14 Nov 2014, 4:55 pm

I drink mostly water but not tap, tap can vary a lot in taste and I've had some bad experiences with it to say the least. I drink mostly bottled spring water, Arrowhead usually.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 6:36 pm

InfoPunkie wrote:
Anyone else have a problem with drinking water because it tastes different or horrible each time? I have that problem and often times I cannot stand the taste, I've taken to buying bottled water as I can drink that, although not Evian as that tastes horrible too.

Anyone have a similar problem and if so do you have a solution to this besides just buying bottled water?

Problem would be a big word but then it's been like that for as long as I can remember and i suppose I've learnt to live with it.

Evian tastes disgusting.
I think the taste is determined by the minerals present and the calcium/magnesium ratio seems to affect taste iirc from looking into the technical side of this years ago. Bit of an armchair chemist though so never did much more with the thought :lol:

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 5:44 pm

Where I live the water is soft I think and it tastes very good, it's like drinking very good bottled water. American water is weird because they add stuff into it. English water is hard water which has more minerals and stuff in it than soft water and it tastes weird too.

FedUpAsp
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Nov 2014, 12:42 am

I only drink filtered water. Can't stand the taste of tap water at all.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 3:34 am

tap water where i live happens to be good tasting, but there is a lot of variation indeed, some i dont like.
however, i have not yet found a brand of bottled that i like the taste of; most water bottles i buy, i will empty and refill with tap.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 9:07 pm

I only drink filtered water. The last time I remember tap water tasting OK was in the late eighties or early nineties. Then there were all the news articles about what is in water from the tap (a lot of pharmaceuticals, it turns out), and that was it for me.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 1:14 am

in mexico: don't drink the tap. perhaps i may be off from where i've gone (jalisco) but it does not seem safe.
tap water here tastes like absolute s**t. it tastes too "soft". regarding bottles water i can not discern between different brands.

filtered water also tasted the same to me as bottled water, if it is indeed THE same. we always get ours from the Glacier brand machine right across the street.

the award for worst water however, will have to go to that junk that comes out of the fridge. then again i don't think we've replaced the filter since we've bought it! :oops: :oops:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 2:18 am

living in the wilds of mason county, the local water tastes to me like swill- mealy, a bit chalky, a bit leady. I did an experiment a while back, I put tap water into the fridge and looked at it a week later, it was slimy and nasty. from that point on I started using a water filter. :eew:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 2:30 am

Well I like some water and some I do not like so much...I usually like natural spring water, fiji, stuff imported from norway that comes in a box which I cannot remember the name of and other random imported spring water when I have the funds. Perhaps I take my water a little too seriously. Purified and/or filtered water(if its actually a good filter) are alright not particularly great though the others taste better, and do tap water is just gross a lot of places unless its like a rural area and its uncontaminated well water or something.

But yeah I don't really recommend the tap water where I live...something about it makes it not even seen refreshing its kind of weird.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 6:28 am

some folk are lucky to live in places with excellent public water.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

23 Nov 2014, 7:00 am

Back when I was real young, 400k people in my city got sick from crytosporidium in the water. It killed 104 people and 4400 people were hospitalized;mostly the elderly and immuno-compromised. Me and my younger brother who wasn't even a year old got it, I believe my dad did as well but luckily my mom didn't who was pregnant with my youngest brother at the time. They spent hundreds of millions afterward trying to make sure it could never happen again but I've always made an effort to avoid tap water as much as I can and this wasn't too uncommon amongst people I knew that also lived thru this. This isn't something you think can happen in major American city but it did.

Crocodylus Porosus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Dec 2014, 8:29 pm

Most water I can't stand the taste of, but where I used to live I had rainwater tanks (tropical north Queensland, Australia), and it was beautifully tasting. The water from the creeks there was great too, nearly all the creeks and rivers were crystal clear and cool, with sand and leaf-litter bottoms.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 9:10 pm

I prefer to have a filter on my faucet. I think filtered water tastes a bit better, a bit "cleaner" than any bottled water I've ever had. Tap water is nasty and makes my stomach feel weird.