This requires urgent attention.Warning: extreme hate speech

Page 3 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 5:02 pm

I thought it was making fun of all the stereotypes about it and the misconceptions. I noticed they had Chris Chandler on there. There are people out there that think he is a poster child for autism and think that is what autism is so someone put him on there. That is how I read it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 5:38 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I thought it was making fun of all the stereotypes about it and the misconceptions. I noticed they had Chris Chandler on there. There are people out there that think he is a poster child for autism and think that is what autism is so someone put him on there. That is how I read it.
you may be right,it was almost too in your face to be taken literally

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 11:45 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
you may be right,it was almost too in your face to be taken literally

I don't take anything on that site seriously.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 1:29 am

B19 wrote:
https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Asperger

Don't read this if you are in a fragile state today. It is really ugly stuff taken to the ultimate extreme.

I have put the link here because I have faith that someone in our community who has the remarkable skills of being able to hack/corrupt/change or take down and block websites will read the link and decide to act.

Generally I am not a person who is much into banning stuff. This is the exception.

My own response to it is that it is the worst article I have ever seen. REALLY the worst.

Does this offend you? Warning, this is one of the most repulsive webpages I have ever seen: https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Offended

That is how seriously they take their site, so I wouldn't take the article on Aspergers seriously either.

The_fire_rises
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Nov 2014, 2:41 am

I've been on chans since I was in the 8th grade I've always loved the humor and community as I got older I've gravitated to /pol/ though. the "fun" posting in /b/ and other places is funny for a bit but gets old, I do love this site. its wonderful.

also 8chan is better because its full of users "too extreme for 4chan."

evilreligion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2014, 4:52 am

The site is clearly satirical
The people that made this content do not believe the things it says about aspies
No one who reads it believes it either
Neither is it intended to denigrate aspies in anyway.
Its just taking the piss out of something in a blatantly taboo way and so is "naughty" and therefore funny.

Its not hate speech its just humor.
If you don;t find it funny don't read it. But no one reading this is going to take it seriously and as such it isn't going to negatively affect aspies or other autistic people in any way. Focus your energy on the nasty and destructive stuff written about autistic people that IS taken seriously by both those that write it and read it. For example I'd be far more concerned about all the BS on the internet about how autism is brain damage caused by vaccines, heavy metals or pesticides. That stuff is believed by millions of people and hidden within each of those nonsense "causes" of autism is the implicit message that you are all damaged, that your brains are defective due to some "toxin". That's destructive, that's harmful that is hate speech. I worry far more about the content on Age Of Autism than this site. People take the bollocks on Age of Autism seriously.

VioletYoshi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2014, 2:20 pm

Sees Encyclopedia Dramatica is being discussed again...

TheRedPedant93
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2014, 5:47 pm

I'ts a politically incorrect satire enterprise so it would obviously be unequivocally inaccurate and unpalatable on many viewpoints about AS; but then again, that's freedom of expression for you.

Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 1 out of 200
Alexithymia Questionnaire: 166/185 AQ: 49/50 EQ: 9/80

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 9:15 am

Actually, I have that bookmarked.

I go there when I'm feeling really, really down on myself.

Because satire, sarcasm, and black humor make me feel better. Of course, this may or may not be why I'm STILL in therapy.

I do also note that a majority of people find my sarcasm and black humor offensive, and that I have to be really careful about who I use it around.

Hell, he's been MARRIED TO ME for sixteen years, and my HUSBAND still doesn't understand or appreciate it.

I can see it being offensive.

What I can't see is anyone actually believing that it's a professional, medical opinion.

Offense is the risk, as others have said, of free speech.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 12:59 pm

B19 wrote:
The fact that it's satire excuses it, in your view? Not mine. Under the guise of satire, any hate speech aimed at any group is ok? I don't think so. We disagree here, but ok.

I am quite capable of writing satire myself, for example, praising rapists who rape infants and then murder their victims. Would satirical intent make that inoffensive to victims and their families?

Did you read the article? Did it make you laugh? I did, and it didn't.

Satire is often offensive. Much of satire is meant to be offensive.

There are three major kinds of satire. Not all satire is designed for actual laughs.

Horatian - gentle mocking... it takes an affectionate tone and it is the gentlest kind of satire.
i.e. The majority of modern sitcoms, comics, and whatnot... like The Simpsons.

Juvenalian - designed to provoke and cause indignation. Humor is only a secondclass priority in this form of satire.
i.e. Tom Lehrer, South Park, The Onion... and the Encyclopedia Dramatica

Menippean - Can take either of the above tones, but attacks mindsets rather than people or groups of people. It normally more closely resembles
i.e. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy... Alice in Wonderland

Some more specific genres include things like black/dark comedy that yes focuses specifically on the taboo (often extremely taboo. Dark comedy tends to focus on these things: death, depression, suicide, homicide, genocide, cannibalism, sexual perversion (pedophilia, rape, etc.)
So, rapists and murderers are common in this genre.
Not only that, but it is written in a serious manner,
Examples include: Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, Crime and Punishment, Hatred, Ghost World, Super Columbine Massacre RPG...

Andre Breton is credited as founding Dark Comedy as a distinct genre under the subset of surrealism (which he also founded.)
As he said in his Surrealist Manifesto (1924), "The purest surrealist act would be to go into a crowd and fire at random."
^would the survivors of any of the recent rampage killings and/or school shooting be offended by a statement like that? Regardless, they would probably be offended when that is incorporated into a work of art.

So, yes, Satire can be extremely offensive. So what?
Offense is not reason to censor. So what if people find it offensive? The only thing you'd be doing is feeding them.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 3:05 pm

I get the impression you don't understand the purpose of ED. They are trying to be as offensive as possible, that's the only reason the site exists, just ignore it.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 3:50 am

I wonder if it's reverse psychology.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 3:38 pm

So does this article explain how neurotypicals perceive us?

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 3:53 pm

If it does, it's making fun of it.

Or, like someone else said, just trying to generate hits to make more money advertising for mybigblackcock.com.

Which is sick enough in its own right to make me think about not going there any more. I dislike ad-whoring.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 11:00 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
So does this article explain how neurotypicals perceive us?

No, it's not, it's bait.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

24 Nov 2014, 11:39 pm

Splitting, chaos manufacture, and projection to name a few.

The guy just described the way he thinks, not what it is.

It's not even good humor.