Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 1:35 pm

I just saw a psychiatrist, who was my psychiatrist when I was psychotic at age 14, and he thinks I definitely do not have bipolar disorder. I talked to him about how my therapist was questioned by the disability company on why my functioning is getting worse while having autism, and the therapist said he didn't have a good answer, so he put bipolar disorder down and exaggerated some of my symptoms (getting off-topic) to make them look manic, even though I knew dang well I was not anywhere near mania; he used my tendency to get off subject to mark "flight of ideas" and "pressured speech." I know I definitely was not exhibiting the latter. I called him up to say I thought he had gone too far, but he has not responded. I told him that it would have been better to go with schizotypal disorder, probably, especially considering the pattern of my decline in functioning.

Anyway, he took notice of my recent decline in functioning, which has caused me to go on SSDI, and said the waxing and waning sounds more like schizotypal disorder, and the psychotic episode I had at 14 seems to suggest a temporary worsening when I had serious adjustment issues at that time.

He impressed me, more than my current mental health professionals, because he had actually heard of the Examination of Anomalous Self-Experience. He explained it as a manual that lists odd experiences that aren't quite psychotic but are moving in that direction, which he told me without my explaining what it was. A link to it can be found here:

http://tinyurl.com/o2mx9hg

My other mental health professionals had no clue about it, and he also seemed to have a deeper knowledge of psychopathology in general than they. He asked me about some of my experiences, and I told him. He remarked that I probably wouldn't have had the words to describe them when I first experienced them. I agreed, and said reading about them finally gave me the words to describe them.

He says he will talk to and write my current mental health professionals this information and I signed a release for him to do so.

It's time for my mental health professionals to get up to speed on this question of psychosis.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 9:24 pm

Your post is quite interesting. However the link that you put there leads to a download that I had to quickly quell.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 10:00 pm

alpineglow wrote:
Your post is quite interesting. However the link that you put there leads to a download that I had to quickly quell.

It's a PDF file. It's safe. It's the Examination of Anomalous Self-Experience in full.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 10:07 pm

okay, thank you , I am rather suspicious. Reading it now.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 10:13 pm

it is too long to discern which part you might be referring to?

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 2:46 am

Hello beneficii,

I'm reading your postings since a while and you seem to know a whole bunch about psychiatry and you think since a very long time that the bipolar disorder dx is incorrect and that you're somewhere on the Schizotypal spectrum instead. Now you've found a mental health professional, who has the same opinion. :D

I think you're right. You've thought about it for a long time and put a lot of research into it.

I know how this is, having something else dx.
I still think, we know ourselfs best and put a lot of effort into it, in gathering information. It seems to be a very autistic way to deal with this. In the past, I thought, I could have something else instead, but over the years it got more and more clear to me that I'm somewhere between autism and Schizotypal PD. That's all I need to know.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 6:12 am

Thanks, Raziel. :)

alpineglow wrote:
it is too long to discern which part you might be referring to?

Well, I did read off some of the items that I thought matched my experiences, namely 1.8, 2.1, 2.2.3, 2.4, 2.6, 2.12, 2.15, 2.18. I match more, but those are what I discussed. A lot of the items in Domain 2 would seem to sorta fit together, wouldn't they?

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 3:40 pm

I left messages for both my current psychiatrist and psychologist regarding this doctor's diagnostic impression, but did not tell them what it was. I'll let the doctor in question explain that.