Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Maytrix
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Nov 2014, 7:53 am

Hi,

I am new here and have come to this forum hoping for some answers on what may be affecting my Stepson. He was diagnosed with ADHD some 20 years ago. I do not believe he has ever taken medication for this on a regular basis.

His father and I have almost given up any contact with him because he is so argumentative and abusive if you do not agree with him or interrupt him from his LOOOOOOOONG train of thought.

Some background history, right.

y:
Father and mother divorced when he was 11 years old. He was extremely bright and Father and son got along great.
The problems began in early adulthood around the time he entered college. He is a graduate of Wharton Business School and a Masters from NYU in Business. He is extremely good looking and has gotten a lot of passes in life because of his looks.
So one would think with all this going for him he would be "Golden"

Well he is now 50 years old , divorced with 2 beautiful little girls, wife remarried and living in another state. They were married in 1998 and during their entire marriage they lived in NYC until their recent divorce in 2012. Now he lives in Florida.
He has NEVER been able to hold a job. I cannot even begin to tell you how many he has gone thru, so he must interview as a charmer.

Recently he has been evicted. He asked to live with us but he is so combative with his father that it is impossible, so my husband has agreed to give him money for a room until his "Fantasy Deals " come through. I say fantasy because he borrows money and always says he will pay it back when theses DEALS go through. Guess what NOT one deal has gone through in 2 years. The only job he can get is one based on total commission.

He had many opportunities to work for some brilliant Financial Institutions, but lost the job due to his inability to take for directions from others. He has actually gotten fired for his "sense of humor" which can be very condescending and sarcastic.

He is 50 years old, no job, no home, late on support payments to his ex, and continues to live in the moment, thinking these deals will come through.
The following is a brief list of problem behavior:

Hates when people do not agree with him
Hates his father because he thinks he wants to control him.
Will not let anyone interrupt him when he is on a roll, because he will lose his thought. He actually will scream at the person to let him finish and do not interrupt him.
He avoids eye contact when he speaks.
Feels an exaggerated amount of entitlement.
He hates his father but says he wants to have a relationship with him.
He is VERY emotional to the point of throwing himself on the bed and crying , when he feels a deep hurt from his father. Well that was at his wedding in 1997 so he may have grown out of that .
It is so very hard to think of him as an adult, because his behavior suggests he is still in his teens or younger sometimes.
He and I have literally NO relationship--he sees his father always alone if I can help it.
He and I have had such battles because I suffer from Dysthymia, take meds and have tried to convince him to seek help, and to keep him away from his father because he upsets him very much. (My husband has a heart condition and his Blood pressure goes through the roof after a meeting with him)
Since 1997 and the scene at the wedding his father has asked him not to contact him--only emails are exchanged . His emails are extremely hostile , since his father seldom agrees with his logic.

All and all I am at my wits end. He is 50 years old, no job, no home, divorced with support to pay, his wife refuses to get a job (she is remarried) , and home schools the children they both should be in a public high school, as their social interactions with people are quite stunted......and my husband is now 73 and cannot have this aggravation in his life.

Does this sound remotely familiar to anyone here and have they identified the mental condition this behavior represents?? HELP!! !!

Sincerely,
Maytrix

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

18 Nov 2014, 8:31 am

My suggestion would be to troll through a different website called outofthefog. Maybe they can make more sence to you.

Maytrix
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Nov 2014, 10:55 am

Thank you, Alex. That website sounds perfect and I would never have found it without your help.

Best wishes

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 11:04 am

Well, I don't know him in person, but to me it Sounds like the ADHD diagnosis is correct and most of his problems can be explained because of that. ADHD can be more severe than most ppl think. Other than that, just a psychiatrist who sees him in person can tell.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

18 Nov 2014, 8:52 pm

Alex who?