anti psycothic vs asperger is it good vs asperger^^

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

bl44d3lf
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Nov 2014, 11:18 am

well ive had depression and it got cured by anti depressant that worked concentration and suicide sadness thoughts. . but I feel Asperger it self has some psycothic instable effect will a bit anti psycothic remove that.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 1:36 pm

Asperger's does not involve psychosis.

Psychosis definition: Perceiving things without sensory input, such as hearing voices with no one talking, seeing things that aren't there. Or, believing things that don't make sense; for example, believing you are the King of England even though you are Mexican without English ancestry. Sometimes people are diagnosed with psychosis because their thinking is confused, skipping randomly without any logical connections.

People with Asperger's can have psychosis, but when they do, it's not because they have Asperger's; it's because they have something else, too. Schizophrenia is the most common cause. Delirium, a related condition, is a lot like psychosis except that it is caused by physical illness interfering with the brain; and dementia is a progressive loss of cognitive skills, usually experienced in old age by people with repeated strokes or Alzheimer's. All of those can happen to people with Asperger's, but that's because they can happen to anybody.

Antipsychotics have a side effect that they're sometimes used for even in people who aren't psychotic. They calm you down--they make you tired, less anxious, less active. They're sometimes called "major tranquilizers", and some old antipsychotics like Haldol and Thorazine are used primarily as tranquilizers. Only one antipsychotic, risperidone, is approved for use in autistic people, and it's not to treat the autism--it's to calm autistic people who have repeated uncontrolled meltdowns. But many others are used, and overused, off-label on autistic people, especially those in institutions, because they make someone more docile and easily controlled. Some people benefit from the tranquilizer effect of these antipsychotics; others do not; yet others are harmed. They are not medications that should be prescribed lightly.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Nov 2014, 3:24 pm

bl44d3lf wrote:
well ive had depression and it got cured by anti depressant that worked concentration and suicide sadness thoughts. . but I feel Asperger it self has some psycothic instable effect will a bit anti psycothic remove that.

Antipsychotics can be bad news due to side effects. I've been on different kinds. They generally cause dramatic weight gain due to increasing your appetite. Zyprexa and Rispradol are the worst in that department (according to my psychiatrist). Geodon does not usually cause weight gain but can produce terrible akathesia, which is the worst thing I've ever felt. For anxiety, I've found a light benzodiazapine, such as colonzapam is the best remedy. The only real side effect is that it can be addictive. I take the lowest dose possible (.5 mg). My doctor prescribes it four times a day as needed. I don't feel addicted. I only take it when I have anxiety and I don't experience my tolerance increasing. If it were, I'd need more of it than originally prescribed. I've been on it for 5 or so years and haven't needed an increase in dosage. I find I also experience less anxiety if I avoid stimulants such as caffienated beverages.

What is it that makes you think you're experiencing psychosis?

bl44d3lf
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Nov 2014, 1:05 pm

noodler wrote:
bl44d3lf wrote:

Antipsychotics can be bad news due to side effects. I've been on different kinds. They generally cause dramatic weight gain due to increasing your appetite. Zyprexa and Rispradol are the worst in that department (according to my psychiatrist). Geodon does not usually cause weight gain but can produce terrible akathesia, which is the worst thing I've ever felt. For anxiety, I've found a light benzodiazapine, such as colonzapam is the best remedy. The only real side effect is that it can be addictive. I take the lowest dose possible (.5 mg). My doctor prescribes it four times a day as needed. I don't feel addicted. I only take it when I have anxiety and I don't experience my tolerance increasing. If it were, I'd need more of it than originally prescribed. I've been on it for 5 or so years and haven't needed an increase in dosage. I find I also experience less anxiety if I avoid stimulants such as caffienated beverages.

What is it that makes you think you're experiencing psychosis?

I feel im unstable .... no stability ....its not the concentration ... but mentally control.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 3:43 pm

If you're not violent, suffering extreme paranoia, or suffering hallucinations, I wouldn't recommend that route.

Personally, antipsychotics made me the craziest I've ever been. No control over my mind, no ability to think, no ability to plan or organize tasks, basically no function. Plus med-induced psychosis (believing, to the bottom of my brain, that normal people could know what I was just by looking at me plus delusions of universal persecution, to the point that I could not leave the house).

That was me. YMMV, but if you proceed with that route, please proceed with extreme caution. Those things aren't candy. They aren't Tylenol. And they aren't antidepressants, either. They are not to be played with lightly.

noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Nov 2014, 3:47 pm

I'm no doctor, but if you're referring to mood stability, then antipsychotcics help with that. They prescribe antipsychotics for bipolar disorder. Actually, I think antipsychotics are the only thing they use for mood instability. Sometimes I feel manic (which can feel good- like a high), but other times I get angry about stuff for little reason (which I believe is another form of mania). I'm extremely open with my psychiatrist about my problems, and in return I get a great deal of support from him. Talk to your psychiatrist about it, if you feel comfortable doing so. He's really the only one who can help if you feel you need medication. The side effects i referred to before are only severe if you're on a higher dose. Hopefully, you won't have to experience them, if you decide to try an antipsychotic.