Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 6:31 pm

Rarely

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 10:41 pm

I usually don't smile that big, but sometimes I do.

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 12:38 am

I don't really smile, so...No?

Lahonq
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Nov 2014, 2:54 am

When I smile, no.
When I laugh, yes.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 3:36 am

Always.

I was a bit surprised to see the poll at such a high No vote. I suppose this may be a bit of an AS identifier. Interesting.

FYI, my friend on the spectrum also shows teeth. So do many others I know w/ ASD traits. The only one I can think of that pretty much never shows his teeth when he smiles (except for when laughing) is my twin brother. That's one way you could always tell us apart in pictures. But we still look so much alike that when I had one pic of me and one of him, my classmates said it was a pic of me smiling and one of me not smiling lol and that's why I had taken a 3rd photo with me that had both of us in it.

jfc_csc
Raven
Raven

24 Nov 2014, 11:57 am

Nope.

untilwereturn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2014, 12:30 pm

You need to add a "Sometimes" option to the poll, I think. In general, if I'm told to smile for a photo I don't show my teeth. And if I do force a toothy grin, people think I'm giving a menacing look. I can't seem to find that happy medium that doesn't look fake.

In spontaneous situations, when I'm not self-conscious of my actions, I think I do tend to naturally show some teeth part of the time. :D

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Nov 2014, 12:53 pm

No I do not... however, for this poll to really mean anything you need an NT control poll to see if it is indeed an autism thing. This goes for most of the, "Does anyone else" threads.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 1:14 pm

I taught myself to smile without looking like Sheldon Cooper's forced smile, when I started in politics. But, I prefer just a happy, closed-mouth grin. If I am grinning, you have my attention and my respect. My toothy smile is usually masking.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

d20
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Nov 2014, 3:36 pm

Kiriae wrote:
It depends.
If I am really happy at a moment I will smile and show all my teeth and even gums - thats my natural smile, I can't control it.
But if I am forced to smile for a photo I will just smile with my lips closed.

Same for me. If I'm posing for a picture, I won't show teeth. And if everyone else is showing theirs, and the photographer wants me to? Tough [or, I'll try, but it'll feel terrible]

But, as my girlfriend likes to say, I have a bit of a cheeky grin, and I assume that usually shows some grin. Plus, there is one picture out there showing it :lol:

Awilder
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 4:29 pm

I tend not to since, I have messed up teeth.. :|

We are like the wind,
Wrapped, luminous wind,
We make a road for the spirits to pass over.
For the Spirits to pass over.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 9:56 am

I have never, ever been able to smile with teeth. It just feels unnatural to me and when I force it I look...strange, to say the least. I would have never assumed it could possibly have something to do with AS.

FautheralLoather
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Nov 2014, 12:02 pm

I don't smile.

gamerdad
Toucan
Toucan

25 Nov 2014, 8:03 pm

I didn't used to. People always gave me a hard time about it in pictures. Then I learned a trick. Press your tongue into the back of your upper teeth to do a convincing smile showing your teeth for photos.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 4:18 pm

gamerdad wrote:
I didn't used to. People always gave me a hard time about it in pictures. Then I learned a trick. Press your tongue into the back of your upper teeth to do a convincing smile showing your teeth for photos.

Well, your little trick does indeed work, though the result wasn't the most natural looking smile I have seen.
I am quite happy the way I smile with lips closed, and funny enough, my whole life I have had people telling me what a lovely smile I have.

noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Nov 2014, 5:17 pm

I rarely show my teeth when I smile. Maybe when I'm laughing hard. I don't know. I think it's partly because my face is built different. My cousin looks a lot like me. He doesn't show much teeth either. Is it because we have thin lips? My ex showed her teeth and gums whenever she smiled. Sometimes all I saw were gums when she smiled. Her face was just built different than mine.