Page 4 of 13 [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 6:51 pm

outlander wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
had irlen filters existed when I was a kid I would likely have gone to college and would be a federal judge or something.its to late at this point because im used to living day to day with the visual assault and my low paying job doesn't require reading

Your profile gives no indication of your age, however in my own case, at the age of 41 I quit my job designing nuclear reactors, packed up the wife and 4 kids and moved from Virginia to Nebraska and spent 4 years reinventing myself with a PhD. after which I taught at two different universities. So don't throw in the towel on major career changes.... It can be done.
I have my birthday listed.7-9-75 so im 39

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 7:56 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:

I've been to two colleges, neither of them would let me wear sunglasses. One was a private college and I don't know about it's financial situation.
The other is a public institution that has faced several lawsuits about it... They have said that they will update their policies accordingly, but it's been a few years and they haven't published those changes if they made changes. Either way, I still am not allowed to wear sunglasses and may be arrested by campus police if I am found to be wearing them in a building or around the outside of the building. They will only let me wear sunglasses if for a "medical reason" not a "psychiatric reason." They justify this by claiming that it is a security risk for people to wear sunglasses.
teachers in college don't control what you wear,as long as your not almost naked or wearing a tee shirt that says something hatefull or threatening

That isn't really true. The administration has specific dress code policies. Most colleges have these codes, some are strict others aren't. And many of the teachers here actually follows those policies and therefore enforce them on the students.
My current school has a locked door policy too. Where if you arrive 30 seconds late, it's supposed to be "too bad." Because the teachers are supposed to lock the doors as soon as class starts and not open the doors until the end of class.
And many of these crazy policies apply for all community colleges in Virginia.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 9:28 pm

Protogenoi wrote:
Because the teachers are supposed to lock the doors as soon as class starts and not open the doors until the end of class.

What are people supposed to do if they need to use the restroom during class?

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 9:56 pm

starkid wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:
Because the teachers are supposed to lock the doors as soon as class starts and not open the doors until the end of class.

They can leave, but not come back.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

outlander
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Dec 2014, 10:56 am

Protogenoi wrote:
And someone thinks this is a proper way for teachers and students to behave at a college level ?!?!?!?!?!

At at least one university where I taught attendance was not required except for Laboratory/class participation classes. If you arrived late you were responsible to not disturb the class. However given the degree to which my exams depended on lecture presented material and solution techniques you were at grave risk for failing if you did not attend regularly.

Of course there is the idea that they are trying to keep out crazy maniac killers with their locked door policy which really means that they are restricting the massacre to just one class room per maniac. So again it may just be that the security people are now running the campus instead of serving it. It goes right along with the no sunglasses policy, and of course security personnel never met a restriction on freedom that they did not like.

Protogenoi wrote:
Amen with the word "CRAZY" bold underlined and all caps. I find some irony that the state seal of Virginia is the only state seal that depicts a human corpse! 8O

The slayerwith stands with a spear in hand and one foot on the corpse and the motto on the seal is "Sic Semper Tyranus" (Thus Always to Tyrants). Yet, the state is becoming a tyrant with all its "Security" measures suitable only for reducing the population to sheep.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 1:18 pm

outlander wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:
And someone thinks this is a proper way for teachers and students to behave at a college level ?!?!?!?!?!

At at least one university where I taught attendance was not required except for Laboratory/class participation classes. If you arrived late you were responsible to not disturb the class. However given the degree to which my exams depended on lecture presented material and solution techniques you were at grave risk for failing if you did not attend regularly.

Of course there is the idea that they are trying to keep out crazy maniac killers with their locked door policy which really means that they are restricting the massacre to just one class room per maniac. So again it may just be that the security people are now running the campus instead of serving it. It goes right along with the no sunglasses policy, and of course security personnel never met a restriction on freedom that they did not like.

Protogenoi wrote:
Amen with the word "CRAZY" bold underlined and all caps. I find some irony that the state seal of Virginia is the only state seal that depicts a human corpse! 8O

The slayerwith stands with a spear in hand and one foot on the corpse and the motto on the seal is "Sic Semper Tyranus" (Thus Always to Tyrants). Yet, the state is becoming a tyrant with all its "Security" measures suitable only for reducing the population to sheep.

We've barely scratched the surface of crazy here...
Last year, we got an ACLU backed lawsuit...
Well, here is the ACLU's letter. - [url=acluva.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/140324-PR-Ltr.pdf]Link[/url]
It's a PDF, so it should appear in your downloads folder.

Anyways, what the letter doesn't go into much detail is that the "preaching" described in the letter was between a small group of 4-5 people. He wasn't really extending the conversation beyond a small circle of friends who were taking turns sharing what they believed. In other words, a small group of students peacefully discussing religion. Twice the campus police came and threatened to arrest them. Or at least that's what happened the last time, I saw it happen.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 1:41 pm

It could be worse, the University of California is now facing a lawsuit by requiring students claim to subscribe to certain viewpoints before allowing them to enroll in classes.

But as far as attendance goes, it's 10%+ of the grade here. Miss more than 12 classes and you get also get booted out of the class as either a withdrawal or an automatic F. That seems to be pretty universal nowadays. Most colleges have now adopted severe attendance policies despite no studies showing that an attendence policy increases students success rates (actually studies show that attendance policies tend to have a negative overall affect... Besides, at the college level the student should be allowed to take the risk of missing critical information in a class.)

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 6:07 pm

You know, I don't have a problem so much with us being "different", but I personally find it offensive how we try to make others aware of our differences (unlike when people encourage others to be "color-blind" about race). I think this might have caused a lot less bad press on Autism.

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2014, 6:43 pm

I'm just all in for not having the government have to get into every god damn part of my life and treat me as if I have no control over my basic cognition, and the education system being actually individualized, rather than the segregating system that is in effect today.

Eh, in my opinion autistic people are essentially "the new blacks". Just an opinion though. (Don't take that saying with offense, either)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 5:58 am

K_Kelly wrote:
You know, I don't have a problem so much with us being "different", but I personally find it offensive how we try to make others aware of our differences (unlike when people encourage others to be "color-blind" about race). I think this might have caused a lot less bad press on Autism.

There was plenty of bad press before Autism advocacy. Since it has been mixed. http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/05/politics/ ... -decision/

Racial differences do not result in miscommunication, Neurological does. So that leaves us with two options.

1. Basically do what we did until recently, keep quiet about the differences which means we can only be ourselves when we are by ourselves. The cliche of doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different results being a definition of insanity applies to this choice. The results have been lower employment and higher suicide ideation then other disabilities
2. Explain the differences and hope we get accommodations or at least consideration.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2014, 2:03 pm

At the same time though, do people really want those "accommodations"? For me they're actually quite burdensome and completely miss the point on what I actually need.

Not to mention that there seems to be very little disambiguation between many of those who receive these services (like me). As far as "accommodations" I really only need to be homeschooled and probably medicated as well (seems there's a massive fear of homeschooling though, but if I were homeschooled it would've saved my mental health).

Just food for thought. I don't want to be asked "do you need help with this?" even though I'm a high-functioning human being anyway. Might as well help the typical NTs that struggle with their homework and barely have much conscious in the first place and "accommodate" them.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 2:37 pm

Protogenoi wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:

I've been to two colleges, neither of them would let me wear sunglasses. One was a private college and I don't know about it's financial situation.
The other is a public institution that has faced several lawsuits about it... They have said that they will update their policies accordingly, but it's been a few years and they haven't published those changes if they made changes. Either way, I still am not allowed to wear sunglasses and may be arrested by campus police if I am found to be wearing them in a building or around the outside of the building. They will only let me wear sunglasses if for a "medical reason" not a "psychiatric reason." They justify this by claiming that it is a security risk for people to wear sunglasses.
teachers in college don't control what you wear,as long as your not almost naked or wearing a tee shirt that says something hatefull or threatening

That isn't really true. The administration has specific dress code policies. Most colleges have these codes, some are strict others aren't. And many of the teachers here actually follows those policies and therefore enforce them on the students.
My current school has a locked door policy too. Where if you arrive 30 seconds late, it's supposed to be "too bad." Because the teachers are supposed to lock the doors as soon as class starts and not open the doors until the end of class.

Guess that sucks if someone needs to use the bathroom during class...

RichardJ
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 3:06 am

Fruglepug wrote:
Fnord wrote:
So ... if you don't believe in Neurodiversity, then how do you account for the obvious diversity in human neuropathy?

I don't question neurodiversity in itself - human development is a vulnerable and complicated process, and accidents happen. What I do question is the staunch view that the world has to acommodate people with ASD, rather than people with ASD adapting to the rest of the world. The first step in solving a problem is admitting that it exists - and some autism activists h ave a long way to go.

I could tell you were new here before I even saw your post count because you didn't know Fnord was joking. :lol:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 4:38 pm

Protogenoi wrote:
starkid wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:

They can leave, but not come back.

Gosh no wonder some wear diapers to class and I thought they had lot of tests and they weren't allowed to leave during the exams.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 5:05 pm

I think we will continue to be viewed as needing to modify ourselves to fit into society. Why would people spend time trying to understand and relate to us when autistic people probably won't exist in a hundred years. We're an endangered species and unless we can somehow prove that autism gives us special value, no one's going to want to bother preserving us.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 2:14 am

androbot01 wrote:
I think we will continue to be viewed as needing to modify ourselves to fit into society. Why would people spend time trying to understand and relate to us when autistic people probably won't exist in a hundred years. We're an endangered species and unless we can somehow prove that autism gives us special value, no one's going to want to bother preserving us.

why would you think autism wont be around in a hundred years,it may mutate and change but likely wont change