Is it possible to be an aspie and score as neurotypical?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Felinelover
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Nov 2014, 2:02 pm

After realising I'm an aspie, I made my father take the Aspie Quiz because I assumed my traits come chiefly from him. He is socially awkward, shy, recluse, works in IT and very stuck in his ways - has to do certain routines at the same time; also - prone to meltdowns. I could go on and on... a stereotypical Aspie case, I thought..
Yet he scored strongly as a neurotypical!
He claims he answered honestly. Is it possible someone is such a case of Aspergers that they don't even have the insight onto themselves to answer the questions right?
I am very confused. To think that I'm an aspie and my 2x more socially awkward and routine-fixated father isn't, is simply mind-boggling.

Swiper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Nov 2014, 2:17 pm

On my first Aspie Quiz, I scored mixed traits with the NT score being just a tad bit higher than Aspie score. Three months later and after fully accepting my diagnosis, my Aspie score is much higher than the NT score.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 3:00 pm

You realize of course that you pressuring your father to take the test may have made for an awkward social dynamic, right?

Now, to answer your question, yes, I think it is possible for a person not to have insight. For example, if you had asked me ten years ago if I had sensory issues, I probably would have answered no. I may have answered that I'm less likely than average to believe that any of us should put up with it. For example, I don't think a school should have drying paint with strong smell during hours of active operation, and this applies to colleges, too. Now these days, since I've read and thought about and conversed with other people on the Spectrum, I realize there is both an (often minor) health component, as well as a sensory issue component. And I am more bothered by strong chemical smells than the average person in general. I'm also bothered by repetitive sounds that could easily be fixed. For example, it certainly seems possible that someone could fix a buzzing fluorescent light. But, apparently it's not a priority and no one fixes it.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 3:09 pm

Yes, he can. He is intelligent and has observed and learned all his life. He is used to go by intellect and what his "intuition" (=subconcious social reading) can´t do, his intellect will manage.
The problem with tests like Aspie-test is, that the one doing the test may not know how much is intellect.

I got mixed traits as well the first time, until I discovered, that I answered many of the questions by knowledge and not by my real experience - AND I overlooked many words like "naturally" as in: "Are you naturally good at....?", which is quite different from "Are you good at....?"
Things like that.
All in all, - it is very hard to get a realistic picture via self testing.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 3:16 pm

I have seen a few aspies online score NT so yes it's possible. It's also possible for someone to score aspie or in between and not be on the spectrum.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 3:21 pm

I can do it.

Whether I score as "Aspie" or "NT" depends on whether I answer the questions for what I ACTUALLY feel, think, and do...

...or whether I answer them for what I've TRAINED MYSELF to feel, think, and do.

Both of them are, technically, honest. One is honest on the outside, and one is honest on the inside.

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 3:23 pm

I know those tests can be fun to take but I really wouldn't take them too seriously. I took the aspie quiz and feel its kind of unfair with some of its questions. Those with ASD share some similar traits with each other but a lot of things are truly subjective, we're all different.

Last edited by NeueZiel on 24 Nov 2014, 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 3:33 pm

Score as strongly neurotypical? I highly doubt it.

There's a few possibilities going on. You could be so keen to see yourself reflected in your father you have misinterpreted or exaggerated his traits. Or your father could be underestimating his traits for unacknowledged reasons of his own. It's also a possibility that he's an Aspie who's adapted so well to the NT world that he could honestly show up as an NT in a test. However, if that was the case, then I don't think you'd have picked up on his Aspieness, unless you're really keen for him to be an Aspie.

I very strongly suspect my dad is an Aspie, but he's 79 years old and I can't see him admitting the possibility to himself. He's the sort of person who doesn't think depression is a real thing, so I doubt a lightbulb is gonna light up over his head if somebody mentioned autism to him. At least your father was open-minded enough to attempt the quiz. You could ask him if he would be prepared to do the test one more time with you there. But end of the day, if he doesn't want to see himself as an Aspie, that's his right to do so. He can perceive himself any way he likes if it's not harming anybody else.