Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 5:55 am

Have you ever been called or treated like a brat due to a meltdown? I think I have once, but my mom remembers out more than I do. I was curious about those who were diagnosed early in life who might have dealt with this.

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 10:51 am

Just ignore it and be yourself.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 11:15 am

it's better to be treated like bratwurst than like a brat.

Seriously: Throughout the years before I became independent, I was treated like a wayward child whenever I threw a tantrum--or even was accused of something I didn't do. Nobody would listen to my side of the story. It was like being in Napoleonic France--where I had to prove my innocence under a presumption of guilt.

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 11:31 am

Of course back in the 60's and early 70's nobody knew about the milder versions of autism. So, I would at times explode or totally lose it over something and it was always, always, always seen as mere temper tantrums or plays to get attention. Certainly nobody cared about what I was going through.

In fact even when I was a younger adult - if I stressed out in a work situation to the point where it was hard for me to function or even when I would have a full fledged nervous breakdown - it was like I was misbehaving and needed to be punished.

Come to think it from my late teens to my early twenties I had become very religious - Nervous situations or things I would now understand to be autistic traits were attributed to not being close enough to God.

It seemed that no matter how obvious I was trying to handle things that were completely beyond control - it was like I was being bad.

- Albert Einstein

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 11:09 pm

Have heard that from outside observers who didn't know any better

stabilator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2014, 11:33 pm

When I had tantrums or when I was feeling ill and trying to communicate it to someone, people called me a brat, and mainly thought I was seeking attention or had not been properly trained in discipline.

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2014, 12:11 am

It was implied that I was demon possessed once or twice, I got called brat on a daily basis. People are ignorant.

Princess Adora
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Nov 2014, 12:36 am

I only recently found out I've got aspergers a few months ago and now I know why I have these meltdowns sometimes but to answer the question yes I have been called a brat,as a kid whom nobody including myself knew I was on the spectrum would think that I was spoiled because how I would react sometimes,I remember an aunt actually telling me I'm nothing but a spoilt brat straight after my meltdown she even told me that a guy in the future would not like me because I was a brat.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2014, 3:11 pm

I ws a pretty quiet kid, so when I did have a meltdown (and they were usually nuclear grade) mostly people would just stand there in shock with their mouth hanging open until my mother whisked me away.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2014, 3:48 pm

My mom used to get mad at me for acting like a two year old and crying like one. All it did was it made me get better control of myself and bottle up my feelings and not show them and not talk about them and wow it had bad affects on me by 6th grade and I had resentment towards my mother and then came to terms to forgive her.

I didn't even know I was acting like a two year old, I was just upset and I think I may have had been having anxiety and maybe it was a meltdown, I don't know. But the way I was treated would make me feel bad and it did have bad affects by 6th grade from years of holding in my feelings and not talking about them because it got me into trouble at home ad at school no one seemed to care so I didn't see the point. I also learned to avoid activities when things don't go my way so I am not all stressed out. This was all before everyone knew I had AS.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2014, 4:57 pm

metaldanielle wrote:
It was implied that I was demon possessed once or twice...

My holy rollers were more passive aggressive; a demon or spirit had only entered the house when I was present, particularly in the case of a spinster who discerned a spirit of lust. Yes, really.

These people become unstable, in the unlikely event that they can be upstaged. Do not tell them it's sitting on the couch.

r2d2 wrote:
...the point where it was hard for me to function or even when I would have a full fledged nervous breakdown - it was like I was misbehaving and needed to be punished...It seemed that no matter how obvious I was trying to handle things that were completely beyond control - it was like I was being bad.

I had the presence of mind to separate myself, before burning any bridges, and was still treated as though I was being moody.

Some of this, I think, is being pursued by someone who demands satisfaction.

I watched drill sergeants trying to break recruits, in a bootcamp. I learned about cultists attempting shut down the critical faculties of proselytes, through hyper-stimulation. I can't for the life of me, see the difference between intentional brainwashing and the passive behaviors of NT's, at times.

Did anyone else feel as though they were being hounded, to the point of breakdown, or as though they were being ordered through an obstacle course?

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

27 Nov 2014, 5:24 pm

Of course! I was a super brat! No one has ever seen the likes of me before. I would meltdown, and be all over the place. I was into everything. All eyes had to be on me, or I would just run away. I made too much sence though, so nobody could really figure me out.

The only thing they could interpret was really bad temper tantrums, and a total lack of respect, and a disobedient rule breaker. I never listened. I was worse than a brat. A brat was small time.

They had no ability to interpret what a meltdown was, or what was going on in my mind, so they just see things as if it was them.

Wrong!

But the truth is the truth. I was a brat. People can help make you that way too. It can be a very reflective thing. If people in my family constanly told me how bad I was, and why, I naturally accepted that, and played the role. How would they expect any different? That's what I was. Annoying brat.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2014, 6:19 pm

Oh, yeah....I've been told "You just don't want to make any effort," "It can't always be about what YOU want" "You just sit in your room feeling bad for yourself" among other things. I've been called selfish, self-indulgent and immature, and when I got sick before my mom and stepdad's wedding, they acted like I had gotten sick on purpose and verbally harassed me with threats of taking me to the Emergency Room.

People have no idea. Just no freaking idea. :(

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2014, 7:08 pm

My dad said that to me a couple of times and my mum said that to me a few times when I was little. I remember my mum's nasty tagline, "I try to be nice to you two and this is what I get?"

I remember attempting suicide at the age of 14 by taking sips of an old bottle of Vick's vaporizer oil in hopes that I would die, so I wouldn't have to hear those words playing over in my head along with other loud words of anger that were spoken by my mum on various occasions until I was 9.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

29 Nov 2014, 8:14 am

When your parents take your family to Yellowstone National Park, and go see old faithful. They round up the kids because it is time to go. You wait till no one is looking and dash away at the age of four, because you have been looking at possibly the coolest stuff a four year old could ever see. The family looks for you for over an hour. I believe that constitutes as being a brat.

When you get a big red tonka truck for christmas, with loud knobby plastic wheels, and have a house that has basically has a floor plan in a circle, half of it linoleum, and hardwood floors, use it for a race track, and run around with it as fast as you can, for as long as you can, as much as you can. When some one takes it away, all you do is cry, that may constitute being a brat.

geometrictunneling
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Nov 2014, 8:26 am

Never had meltdowns, iyv had lots of shutdowns tho. Often when stressed it would be imposible to talk or I would rezort to won werd sentenzes

I was to self aware to start spining around and smashing stuff