Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

TwinRuler
Toucan
Toucan

26 Nov 2014, 6:55 am

When I was younger, I thought it would be really fun to try to write science fiction. I have even read many books about how to do just that. They were really enjoyable!
8) Science Fiction is really cool. I used to think about writing a series of novels, set in a Galactic Empire. There was something really nifty about the entire idea.

rainbowjustice
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Nov 2014, 8:09 pm

Me too, i love science fiction. By imagining worlds similar but on a different telos to our own science fiction gives us a fresh perspective on reality.

Flowers for Algernon is possibly my favourite, shining a bright light on the ethics of animal suffering in science.

And Brave New World for sheer perceptive power.

There are many more i love

xo

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 2:17 am

I like some forms of sci-fi, but it really depends on the story. For instance, I like both "Star Wars" and "Star Trek" to a certain extent, but I've never seen "The Fifth Element" all the way through. I have tried writing my own stories, but they always turn into a mismash of things I've seen countless times.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 1:05 am

I'm actually much more a follower of horror fiction, but I think you've got a real potential for a masterpiece when scifi and horror are mixed, such as with movies like Alien, Event Horizon, Re-Animator, The Thing, and others, as well as fiction such as H.P. Lovecraft's At The Mountains Of Madness, The Colour Out Of Space, The Shadow Out Of Time, and John W. Campbell's Who Goes There. While I write straight horror fiction, I've had an idea for a Scifi/horror story rolling around in my head for some time now.

chessboxer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2014, 3:29 pm

rainbowjustice wrote:
Me too, i love science fiction. By imagining worlds similar but on a different telos to our own science fiction gives us a fresh perspective on reality.

Flowers for Algernon is possibly my favourite, shining a bright light on the ethics of animal suffering in science.

I loved Flowers for Algernon. I didn't get the impression the author was making a statement about animal testing though. Then again, I couldn't really say what I think the book's message was (if there was one).

catboy777
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Dec 2014, 8:53 am

I really enjoy science fiction. I even write sciience fiction. I like Star Trek.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 9:22 am

<* weeps *>

There is more to Science Fiction than Star Wars, Stargate, Star Trek, Star Crash...

Science Fiction does not have to have anything to do with light sabers, zap guns, warp drive, jump drive, sentient robots, telepathy, telekinetics, or space aliens that want to capture us, probe us, test us, mate with us, and eat us.

PLEASE read some Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke, and Heinlein!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 5:26 pm

Fnord wrote:
<* weeps *>

There is more to Science Fiction than Star Wars, Stargate, Star Trek, Star Crash...

Science Fiction does not have to have anything to do with light sabers, zap guns, warp drive, jump drive, sentient robots, telepathy, telekinetics, or space aliens that want to capture us, probe us, test us, mate with us, and eat us.

PLEASE read some Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke, and Heinlein!

And, imho, the kings of science fiction: Frank Herbert senior (Dune series and other lesser known classics like The Dosadi Experiment and Destination: Void), and Phillip K. Dick (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep).

Try asking yourself questions like Herbert: How much can consciousness be expanded? What is the utmost extension of ideas like breeding programs and eugenics? What kind of memories are stored within our cells and all of that unused genetic material? Where do politics, religion, sociology, science, and ecology meet? What are the consequences of a false messiah? Does the false messiah enjoy his own hubris, is he even a willing participant?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 6:33 pm

IMO Bradbury is the greatest author in history, Orson Scott-Card has also been quite relevant in my own life. I've been kicking around some ideas of my own for sci-fi novels, and while I'm partial to hard science fiction I believe the more popular stuff like Star Trek has put fourth a lot of worthwhile ideas to be incorporated into the more intense sub-genres.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen: