Page 3 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

04 Dec 2014, 6:26 pm

Narrator wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Yup, sad so many folks choose metal boxes and fiery cremation when there are so many deserving and humble hungry worms and other dead human carcass eaters in the world. Dam, humans can be so inconsiderate at times with all their anti-nature mythologies..;)

I like the thing some native American tribes did... wrap the body up and leave it up in a tree. Nice view.. good carrion for other creatures. :wink:

I prefer wicking. I want to be wicked. Unfortunately it is not a legal process. :(

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 6:54 pm

Sometimes your corpse poops upon dying.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 8:42 pm

Narrator wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Yup, sad so many folks choose metal boxes and fiery cremation when there are so many deserving and humble hungry worms and other dead human carcass eaters in the world. Dam, humans can be so inconsiderate at times with all their anti-nature mythologies..;)

I like the thing some native American tribes did... wrap the body up and leave it up in a tree. Nice view.. good carrion for other creatures. :wink:

:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 8:52 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
By not thinking about it, I guess. Or just coming to accept it.

Some compare it to the time before you were born but I think it's scarier to stop existing than to have not yet started existing.

Question for those who believe in life after death - when did it evolve? Is there life after death for viruses? Bacteria? Single-celled eukaryotes? Sponges? Arthopods? Squid? Hagfish? Sharks? Cod? Frogs? Crocodiles? Horses? Mice? Monkeys? Gorillas? Chimpanzees?

Somehow such a destinity as there is nothing after death don't sound like something I can accept. How can I accept the idea that the conscience and memories of all humans disapear after death! If this is reality, then reality is greatly overrated; though it's overrated to begin with even without that. As for the life after death of other life forms, I care much less and if there is indeed a life after death for humans then the processus by which it happen is a mystery and thus we can't know what happen to other life forms either. (Unless we're dead.)

Persimmonpudding wrote:
It's nothing to be scared of, though. It's a euphoric trip, and that's the last thing that you would ever have knowledge of.

Not everyone that have been near death and came back report NDE. Some negative one exist too.

Persimmonpudding wrote:
You only need to be scared by it if you are so narcissistic that you could never accept the idea of a world that doesn't have you in it. You are not that important, unto yourself. There is an incomprehensibly large universe beyond you, and the most you can hope to do is make the little ripple you are capable of leaving in it something that you can feel reasonably proud of.

Once you have recognized the validity of the world beyond yourself, then the idea of you not being there stops being so scary. You start focusing on just being a good, relatively lawful person if you can.

I don't worry about my place in the world that much, I worry that my conscience of the world and myself cease to be. And I also worry that it might be the destiny of all humans. We may be small compared to the Universe, but sentient life forms may be the rarest things in the Universe.

yellowtamarin wrote:
Tollorin wrote:
I don't know, but I'm certainly scared by the "nothing after death". :pale: How come atheists deal with that by the way?

What is scary about it? Was it scary before you were born?

I guess you don't understand my fear.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 9:43 pm

yournamehere wrote:
Narrator wrote:
aghogday wrote:

I prefer wicking. I want to be wicked. Unfortunately it is not a legal process. :(

What is wicking? When I look it up it seems about capillary stuff, not funerals.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 10:47 pm

Tollorin wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:
Tollorin wrote:
I don't know, but I'm certainly scared by the "nothing after death". :pale: How come atheists deal with that by the way?

What is scary about it? Was it scary before you were born?

I guess you don't understand my fear.

No, that's why I asked. :)

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

05 Dec 2014, 12:23 am

trollcatman wrote:
yournamehere wrote:
Narrator wrote:
aghogday wrote:

What is wicking? When I look it up it seems about capillary stuff, not funerals.

You bind the hands and feet close to the body, because they do not have enough fat in them. You wrap the body in cotton, and start it on fire. The fat in the body wicks onto the cotton and slowly burns you into total ash. It is like a candle, and you are the wick. When people thought someone died of internal combustion, and nothing was left of them, that is what happened. They accidentally starting thier cotton clothing on fire. Usually a kitchen grease fire.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 1:58 am

Ooooh, a human torch!
I googled "wicking funeral" and google interpreted as Viking funeral. Which were often cremations as well. I think one of those burning boat funerals would be awesome too, but that's probably illegal too.

ksf777
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2014, 2:50 am

You have indeed uncovered the beginning so that you may seek the end;for in the place where the beginning is,there the end will be.Blessed is he who will stand in the beginning,and will know the end and will not taste death.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 4:48 am

Tollorin wrote:

The few times I have gotten into arguments with atheists over this subject (since at one time, I came under influence of atheism as an undergraduate), I usually propose Pascal's Wager.

badgerface
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2014, 5:12 am

This is my plan for burial when I die...

http://www.treehugger.com/culture/egg-shaped-burial-pods-fertilize-forest.html

In another twist on green funerals and eco-friendly burials, two Italian designers envision a new way of paying it forward, even after death.

In the attempt to make cemeteries, funerals, and burials greener, many different ideas have been put forth over the last couple of decades, including one which can turn your loved ones into compost, but this concept goes a step further and envisions planting "sacred forests" with the bodies of the deceased serving as fertilizer.

The Capsula Mundi concept, from designers Anna Citelli and Raoul Bretzel, uses an egg-shaped burial pod made from biodegradable starch plastic as the coffin, in which the body is placed in a fetal position and buried under the ground. A tree (or tree seed) is then planted over the top of the pod, which will use the nutrients from the decomposing body as fertilizer for its growth.

Although the Capsula Mundi is still a design concept, not an actual option for those planning for their funerals (in part because of regulations about burials and cemeteries), the designers hope that in the future, this type of burial will be allowed and "memory parks" full of trees will be planted. Instead of cemeteries full of headstones, the trees would serve as living memorials to the deceased.

"Capsula Mundi saves the life of a tree and proposes to plant one more. By planting different kinds of trees next to each other it creates a forest. A place where children will be able to learn all about trees. It’s also a place for a beautiful walk and a reminder of our loved ones." - Capsula Mundi

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 5:41 am

Meistersinger wrote:
Tollorin wrote:

The few times I have gotten into arguments with atheists over this subject (since at one time, I came under influence of atheism as an undergraduate), I usually propose Pascal's Wager.

But that's the problem, most atheists can't somehow start believing in a God they don't believe in. In my experience you can't convince yourself to believe something just because you want to. I want to believe in an afterlife, but I don't see any evidence to convince myself.
Atheists often critize Pascal's Wager because it doesn't tell you which God to believe in, but if you go with the wager obviously ANY God would give you better odds than none.

badgerface
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2014, 6:03 am

trollcatman wrote:
....Atheists often critize Pascal's Wager because it doesn't tell you which God to believe in, but if you go with the wager obviously ANY God would give you better odds than none.

Do you also hang garlic on your front door to ward off Vampires just in case as well? Do you try to stay awake so that Freddy Krueger doesn't get you in your dreams just in case he's real?

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 6:21 am

badgerface wrote:
trollcatman wrote:
....Atheists often critize Pascal's Wager because it doesn't tell you which God to believe in, but if you go with the wager obviously ANY God would give you better odds than none.

Do you also hang garlic on your front door to ward off Vampires just in case as well? Do you try to stay awake so that Freddy Krueger doesn't get you in your dreams just in case he's real?

I don't personally do that. But the idea of the wager is that you put in finite amount of effort on earth (opportunity cost), to get an infinite reward when you die. That's a good wager for a small effort. But then I don't buy the premise of the infinite reward.

badgerface
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2014, 6:27 am

Agreed. Be a good person because it's the right thing to do, and it feels good to do good. Not because of an unfounded, disproven childish concept of eternal rewards in an "afterlife" . . . :)

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 6:48 am

Since there's probably no hell you might as well be selfish and evil :twisted: