Page 5 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2014, 7:54 pm

Tollorin wrote:
I don't know, but I'm certainly scared by the "nothing after death". :pale: How come atheists deal with that by the way?

Quite simple, I do not fear death, once I am dead I will know nothing about it. It a bit like that asinine "pro-life argument "but what if you had been aborted?" I would know nothing about it!
I do have a certain envy of what others will discover in future generations, I am envious that space travel may become common place, or we may discover an interact with other sentient life forms. I am especially envious of the future generations who will undoubtable live far longer and with much better health than us.

And this I think is the difference between myself and the religious, I do not look forward to death. Death is the end, there is no afterlife, this is it so enjoy it, find out all there is to know because this is the only chance you will get to understand life. I do not fear death, rather the circumstances of my death and a little sadness that I will no longer be alive.

As to those who suggest that if we do not live forever then what is the point, there is no point. Now you can go around with that nihilistic value or you can say, life is the point and it is finite so I might as well enjoy it.
trollcatman wrote:
Since there's probably no hell you might as well be selfish and evil :twisted:

This is why we need laws, some people "enjoy" hurting and killing others so we rightly prevent this as it is an incredibly selfish perspective.

As to pascals wager I have always found this and similar concepts strange as it implies a god that is not omniscient. Same goes for believers in the Devil as this surely should tell you that god is neither omniscient nor omnipotent

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

azaam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Dec 2014, 8:29 pm

"O People, if you should be in doubt about the Resurrection, then [consider that] indeed, We created you from dust, then from a sperm-drop, then from a clinging clot, and then from a lump of flesh, formed and unformed - that We may show you. And We settle in the wombs whom We will for a specified term, then We bring you out as a child, and then [We develop you] that you may reach your [time of] maturity. And among you is he who is taken in [early] death, and among you is he who is returned to the most decrepit [old] age so that he knows, after [once having] knowledge, nothing. And you see the earth barren, but when We send down upon it rain, it quivers and swells and grows [something] of every beautiful kind. That is because Allah is the Truth and because He gives life to the dead and because He is over all things competen. And [that they may know] that the Hour is coming - no doubt about it - and that Allah will resurrect those in the graves." (Quran)

Your answer is in the Quran. I'll let you read it yourself to witness the truth from Allah, the Lord and creator of the 7 heavens and the earth and what is between them.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2014, 8:36 pm

There is no valid empirical evidence to support a claim for the existence of an "afterlife", whether it be "Heaven/Hell", "Nirvana", or starting over in a new body.

The answers are not in books full of superstitious nonsense, but in simple verification through observation - you die, your flesh rots, your bones crumble to dust, and your heirs inherit all of your wealth.

Religion is not evidence, and faith proves nothing.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2014, 9:57 pm

azaam wrote:
Your answer is in the Quran. I'll let you read it yourself to witness the truth from Allah, the Lord and creator of the 7 heavens and the earth and what is between them.

I've heard the same thing from Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, pentecostal Christians, and others. They are all equally confident that if you read their book, the truth will reveal itself. Yet all are atheists to the god/gods of other religions.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

Harvey
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Dec 2014, 3:06 am

What happens?

life goes on.

Repay laughter
with laughter again
but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

einsteinmyhero
Toucan
Toucan

30 Nov 2015, 8:05 am

I retract my earlier statement.

“Men passionately desire to live after death, but they often pass away without noticing the fact that the memory of a really good person always lives. It is impressed upon the next generation, and is transmitted again to the children. Is that not an immortality worth striving for? ”
― Pyotr Kropotkin, Memoirs of a Revolutionist

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 2:16 pm

I rot in the ground and become food for worms, maggots and bugs and such, I will experience nothingness eternal blackness and no memories or anything.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

jet200
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Dec 2015, 2:41 am

For those that believe in an afterlife, when a brain is damaged it results in cognitive disabilities. Cognition, the mental action allowing perception, awareness, learning etc. requires a brain. So is your eternal afterlife still plagued by your disabilities, or would your god revert your mind and/or body to its previous state before any disability? If you think the latter, what if you where born disabled? And if your brain is dead where does your cognition come from? So you can experience this afterlife.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 11:45 am

After I die and if I am able to communucate I will inform Wrong Planet first.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 11:54 am

I wouldn't have noisy neighbours!

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 12:09 pm

For all we know, there could be a hell where you're forever locked, bound and gagged in a cell surrounded by rooms where healthy young people are having wondrous sex non-stop, day and night, for eternity, never letting you sleep with their cries of pure ecstasy.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.