Page 1 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 10:11 pm

Found this while browsing the net tonight.
Not sure if it has already been posted, could not find it.

It is quite a long and interesting article.

http://nymag.com/news/features/autism-spectrum-2012-11/

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 12:42 am

No, that would defeat the purpose of having an autism spectrum...the whole point is most people do not have autism, and do not have the struggles autism comes with...I hate these 'aren't we all autistic' articles and what not but I guess I will look at it.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 5:56 am

If you believe Autism particularly Aspergers is trendy, and way overdosed you will love this 2012 article. It is not even acknowledge that some Autistics actually might have real difficulties until near the end. There were a bunch of these in influential publications http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/01/opini ... .html?_r=0 http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/01/opini ... ef=opinion in 2012 before Aspergers was officially killed. That is why I was so alarmed to see many HFA is not really Autism opinions in the mainstream media after Sienfeld. It seems instead of going forward there is a influential group of people that want put us back to the 1960's definition of Autism.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 9:44 am

The article is actually not really entirely focused on autism as being trendy and overdiagnosed, from what I could see, it also, in later pages, talked about the difficulties experienced by those on the spectrum.

That said, I posted it not because I agree, but because it is still quite interesting reading.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 6:09 pm

From the article:

Quote:
Sometimes, when we say someone is on the spectrum, do we just mean he’s a prick? Or a pathological narcissist?

I didn't read the whole article, but she certainly comes out swinging.

The other day I linked to that stupid ASPartners site and someone posted that he (the autistic partner) should wear a T-shirt saying "I'm exhausted from pretending to be a nice person all day."

It seems we are gaining a bad reputation.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 9:58 am

YES. everyone is on the spectrum between autism and mental retardation.
all people experience the senses in a certain way.if the volume is turned up so high that it interferes with daily function then one would likely be diagnosed as autistic.

if the volume is turned down so low that it interferes with function one will likely be viewed as mentaly ret*d

its really a sensory functioning spectrum not an autism spectrum.

here is a hypothetical spectrum

sever autism-mid functioning autism-high functioning autism-geek-nerd-a bit intalectual-
normal sensory experience or average person-easy going laid back-very relaxed and unnervous-very very relaxed and not so quik in the noggin-mild but diagnosable intalectual disability-mental retardation-sever intalectual disability ei...trisomy disorders ei... downs or Edwards syndrome

that spectrum is the volume on which people experience there own senses,sight,smell,hearing,touch and emotions.

this will simplify our spectrum from most intense sensory experience to the least intense senses

AUTISM- GEEKY NERDY- NORMAL- TO RELAXED- MENTALY ret*d

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 10:22 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
No, that would defeat the purpose of having an autism spectrum...the whole point is most people do not have autism, and do not have the struggles autism comes with...I hate these 'aren't we all autistic' articles and what not but I guess I will look at it.

Totally agree, I can't stand when people say that phrase, all they're doing by taking that stance is minimalizing our struggles, and using themselves as an example of how we 'can do better if we try'. It's a stance that is taken by egotists and ignorant fools who couldn't understand the spectrum if it slapped them in the face. To top it off, it's offensive when people say that, because it makes us sound like a bunch of complainers who are lazy and want what they like to call a 'free ride' through life (which is yet another ignorant view, but that's another discussion).

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 3:28 am

Jaden wrote:

Totally agree, I can't stand when people say that phrase, all they're doing by taking that stance is minimalizing our struggles, and using themselves as an example of how we 'can do better if we try'. It's a stance that is taken by egotists and ignorant fools who couldn't understand the spectrum if it slapped them in the face. To top it off, it's offensive when people say that, because it makes us sound like a bunch of complainers who are lazy and want what they like to call a 'free ride' through life (which is yet another ignorant view, but that's another discussion).
If it comes from some troll on the internet it is a momentary annoyance, but when influential and "esteemed" publications that decision makers read says the same thing real harm is done.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 3:45 am

the fact that there is a spectrum on how people experience there senses does not negate the reality of those with autism who feel a gun was fired when a phone rings.

nor does that minimize the struggle of those who's senses are so dull that they lack the inspiration to try to take care of themselves day to day.

the person with normal or middle sensory input cant ever understand how it feels to have hyper or hypo reactive senses,but there is a sensory experience continuim

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 3:58 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Jaden wrote:

If it comes from some troll on the internet it is a momentary annoyance, but when influential and "esteemed" publications that decision makers read says the same thing real harm is done.

I agree, it's a problem to be sure. The question is, how do we fix it? I can't personally see a way, but that of course doesn't mean there isn't one.
Maybe I'll talk about this on my youtube channel later (the phrase, and the effects it seems to have).

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Dec 2014, 3:43 pm

Yes there are some very inconsiderate and willfully ignorant people out there, that will downplay the disparity, the inequality, the struggles, and the garbage we have to put up with etc. They even brush it all off as non-existent and say callous and nonsense things like "labels go on soup cans." People that willfully pretend that NTs and AS People are the same thing, and have the same things in life, that happens.

Are NTs on the spectrum though? Well, yeah, they technically are. Thought the situations are very different, NTs are technically on the spectrum.

It's a spectrum, and there's more than enough there to say that they're on it. Sometimes they can't read the complexities of a social situation, or can't quite get what's going on with body language. Sometimes nails down a chalk board for them is excruciating. Sometimes they can't cope with it all and have to get away from it all for a bit.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 3:56 pm

I conceptualise the spectrum as a bell curve sometimes when I am thinking about this topic.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 7:07 pm

I think the Bell Curve is a good frame of reference.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 7:32 pm

Moromillas wrote:
Are NTs on the spectrum though? Well, yeah, they technically are. Thought the situations are very different, NTs are technically on the spectrum.

It's a spectrum, and there's more than enough there to say that they're on it.

Wrong on both counts. The spectrum was created to show how the neurological differences effect us, by comparing it to the 'norm', which is everyone else. If everyone were truly on the spectrum, there would be no spectrum because there would be absolutely no basis for real comparison.
The fact is, NT's do not have these neurological differences, they don't have to deal with the same crap that we do, for the simple reason that their brains are wired the way most people's brains are. They have the capacity to understand the most complex social situations, they may misinterpret those situations, but they can at least see that they're there. Most people on the spectrum don't have that ability, it's not that we misread the information, it's that we don't even see the information, our brains aren't wired to pick up that information like other people. Instead, we have to adapt to everyone else's ability to do so.

There's room enough to say that everyone is psychopathic too, but you don't see anyone jumping on that train, do you? Plain and simple, the only reason people make statements like "aren't we all on the spectrum", is to minimalize our struggles and make it seem like we're just lazy.
It's no different than saying "we're all a little blind because some people have to have glasses", it's not even close to the same thing and it's insulting to make the assumption that someone who can see, could ever understand what it's like for a blind person.
Normal people will never understand our struggle, in even just every day life, on the simplest of things even. The fact that statements like that exist, is proof of that, and the ignorance and ego it takes for them to make the assumption that they could understand is so far out there, it's not even funny.
Do I wish they could understand? Yes, absolutely, because then they could see just how stupid and offensive these kinds of statements really are. But wishing for a thing, does not make it so, and the assertion that everyone is on the spectrum is wholly fiction, written by people who will never understand, and proliferated by ignorant fools.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 10:37 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
all people experience the senses in a certain way.if the volume is turned up so high that it interferes with daily function then one would likely be diagnosed as autistic.

if the volume is turned down so low that it interferes with function one will likely be viewed as mentaly ret*d

sever autism-mid functioning autism-high functioning autism-geek-nerd-a bit intalectual-
normal sensory experience or average person-easy going laid back-very relaxed and unnervous-very very relaxed and not so quik in the noggin-mild but diagnosable intalectual disability-mental retardation-sever intalectual disability ei...trisomy disorders ei... downs or Edwards syndrome

that spectrum is the volume on which people experience there own senses,sight,smell,hearing,touch and emotions.

this will simplify our spectrum from most intense sensory experience to the least intense senses

That sounds like a bunch of shenanigans honestly.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 10:51 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

That sounds like a bunch of shenanigans honestly.

I agree.
shenanigans, bullsh*t, horse hockey, whooey, bologna, [enter anything that means the opposite of real fact or reality, and you got it].