Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

maddycakes__
Raven
Raven

01 Dec 2014, 11:35 am

(Sorry if this is the wrong section, wasn't sure where to put it. But it counts as getting to know someone better??)

I have two guinea pigs. I love animals, and I mostly wanted a pet because I know about how much they can benefit people with mental health problems. I suffer from depression and anxiety so we got the guinea pigs from a local rescue and they really do help, they're lovely little therapy animals! At the moment I badly want a dog too, but it's unfortunately not practical for me and my partner. We live in a small 1-bed flat with no outdoor access, it's prohibited in our tenancy agreement so could end up with us being evicted, next year we're going to be living abroad for awhile which will be difficult enough in terms of travel and housing with the guinea pigs nevermind a dog too, and ultimately we wouldn't be able to afford to care for one anyway. :(

Any other animal lovers here with pets?

Xanthic~Rain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Dec 2014, 1:11 pm

4 dogs, 3 horses, 1 cat
Love animals
(no pix at the moment)

maddycakes__
Raven
Raven

01 Dec 2014, 6:08 pm

Xanthic~Rain wrote:
4 dogs, 3 horses, 1 cat
Love animals
(no pix at the moment)

Wow, horses too! Awesome. I used to go pony riding when I was about 6 but then my stables closed down after about a year and my parents decided it was too expensive to continue at a different stables.

What breed are your dogs?

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 6:40 pm

I have two ferrets. :)

Xanthic~Rain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Dec 2014, 8:53 pm

3 American Eskimos (mommy, daddy, daughter) and a Cocker Spaniel we inherited.
They range in age from 10 to 14!

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 12:47 am

I have a Betta fish named Simi. He is my 10th Betta fish I've had over my life and is my college roommate. :)

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 12:43 am

(no worries. you have come to the right place :) )

i have three dwarf hamsters, there's misha which we got for my sisters graduation in june of 2013, he's a bit chubby with brown fur.
carlton, skinnier, i thin we got him ate june or july of that year. i have always wanted another white hamster since my other one, apple died in the summer entering 7th grade. we did not end up finding one so i settled for the little, light brown, fidgety, bite-loving rascal.
misha, white, meek, the youngest one. he had a bit of a cold after we got him but i believe he's fine now. he loves to nip.

we also have a she-puppy, a mutt (classified as terrier mix) named Julietta. i never wanted a dog, i was just fine the way we were, but my sister turned down a quincenera for the puppy. i grew to love her 8)

and 18 cockateils. 18.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

maddycakes__
Raven
Raven

05 Dec 2014, 6:45 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:

i have three dwarf hamsters, there's misha which we got for my sisters graduation in june of 2013, he's a bit chubby with brown fur.
carlton, skinnier, i thin we got him ate june or july of that year. i have always wanted another white hamster since my other one, apple died in the summer entering 7th grade. we did not end up finding one so i settled for the little, light brown, fidgety, bite-loving rascal.
misha, white, meek, the youngest one. he had a bit of a cold after we got him but i believe he's fine now. he loves to nip.

we also have a she-puppy, a mutt (classified as terrier mix) named Julietta. i never wanted a dog, i was just fine the way we were, but my sister turned down a quincenera for the puppy. i grew to love her 8)

and 18 cockateils. 18.

I think hamsters are cute, but I'm not as fond of them as lots of other animals because I have the impression that they are not as friendly/interactive with humans as some other pets. I suppose I am needy and like to have pets that interact with me more. Please correct me if I am wrong though. Initially I was actually going to get a hamster or two before I thought about guinea pigs but decided to get guinea pigs as I thought they would be more interactive.

And wow, 18 birds! I used to have two budgies when I was a child. They were nice and brightened up the house but they weren't friendly (as in, tame).

maddycakes__
Raven
Raven

05 Dec 2014, 6:46 pm

AspergersActor8693 wrote:
I have a Betta fish named Simi. He is my 10th Betta fish I've had over my life and is my college roommate. :)

I just Google'd what a Betta fish is, and wow, so beautiful! :)

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 12:49 am

i wonder if there are delta fish?

maddycakes__ wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:

and 18 cockateils. 18.

I think hamsters are cute, but I'm not as fond of them as lots of other animals because I have the impression that they are not as friendly/interactive with humans as some other pets. I suppose I am needy and like to have pets that interact with me more. Please correct me if I am wrong though. Initially I was actually going to get a hamster or two before I thought about guinea pigs but decided to get guinea pigs as I thought they would be more interactive.

And wow, 18 birds! I used to have two budgies when I was a child. They were nice and brightened up the house but they weren't friendly (as in, tame).

yeah, hamsters aren't exactly the kind of pet that can reciprocate and show love, the same way a dog or another "higher" mammal can. they lick but this can also be simply due to the salts in palm sweat, or taste of food rather than actual affection.
true, they are cute though, and relatively easy to care for. i've been keeping them on-off since i was 7.
as far as friendliness goes, well it depends on the individual hamster. the roborovski breeds are small and VERY skittish so they're not the best to hold in your hand. probably putting some toys in a DRY bathtub or in enclosed space and letting them run around would be the best. most of mine have been campbells and djungarians and they're a bit more calm in my experience.
even after you've gotten to know them, they could, potentially go back to being unfriendly is not held in a long time.

and yes, 18 cockateils!

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 7:16 pm

Quote:
I just Google'd what a Betta fish is, and wow, so beautiful! :)

Indeed they are. They are native to Asia and come in all sorts of colors. Mine is mostly blue with a few traces of red and green on his fins with a black head. They are really easy to take care of, don't require a filtered tank and can live in smaller tanks with no problem (mine is a 1.5 gallon hexagon shaped tank), don't need an excessive amount of food, and are clean fish. This simi I have is the 10th betta fish I've had.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 7:26 pm

Yes Shiva, Tinker-bell, Zeus and Ragnar but I usually call him Mr. Ragnar because its awesome...and they are all cats. Shiva and tinker bell do not have tails, shiva was born without one the other one lost hers, and zeus and ragnar are tinker bells kittens, her kittens though now they are both bigger than her. My brother got shiva from one of his friends.