The slurping, crunching, smacking noise of eating

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 5:11 am

Ugh! Ick! Blechh! :x

That's definitely one thing which I cannot stand. Lip smacking in particular. If my symptoms are particularly bad it can drive me to intense frustration and/or nausea. You're definitely not alone there.

Crocodylus Porosus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Dec 2014, 8:22 am

Luzhin wrote:
Can't stand it. With noisy eaters I have to leave the room because if I don't there's a distinct possibility that someone may be harmed.

Yeah I feel the same way. The person I hate hearing eating the most is the eldest of my younger sisters.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 1:02 pm

Thank God - I thought it was just me. For that very reason I'm much more comfortable eating alone or with just my wife. When eating with others I both uncomfortable and horribly self-conscious.

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 1:19 pm

Funny, I have heard it suggested before that people with ASD tend to BE noisy eaters. I wonder if there is any truth to that.

- Albert Einstein

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 1:25 pm

It’s disgusting and can make my stomach churn, the odd time I retch sitting with particularly gross, noisy, messy eaters.

mickey-elle
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Dec 2014, 7:30 pm

I hate that sound with a strong passion. It tends to make me angry or makes me want to cry with annoyance.
My aunt said that she used to go to her room and cry after dinner every day because her father chewed so loudly. So at least I don't have it that badly.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 12:34 am

The slurping smacking sounds and....the clinking clattering sound of utensils on plates.

badgerface
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2014, 10:49 am

The worst foods (regardless of how good they taste) to see/hear people eating:

- Ribs/Meat on the bone ...now, I'm a big lover of KFC and a decent rack of ribs, but seeing people tear them apart with their fingers, chewing at fatty gristle, biting and slurping off the (admittedly delicious) meat, no thanks.

- Crisps (or 'Chips', perhaps) ...the crunch; I don't think I need to say any more

- Soup ...slurp. No further comment

These are the obvious ones; any others for anyone?

noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Dec 2014, 11:49 am

badgerface wrote:
The worst foods (regardless of how good they taste) to see/hear people eating:

- Ribs/Meat on the bone ...now, I'm a big lover of KFC and a decent rack of ribs, but seeing people tear them apart with their fingers, chewing at fatty gristle, biting and slurping off the (admittedly delicious) meat, no thanks.

- Crisps (or 'Chips', perhaps) ...the crunch; I don't think I need to say any more

- Soup ...slurp. No further comment

These are the obvious ones; any others for anyone?

The slurping of hot coffee.

Thanatos86
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2014, 6:03 pm

Can't take smacking. I'm almost tempted to speak up and say "Aren't you aware that you're making a disgusting smacking sound while you eat?!".

slave
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 2:12 am

MISOPHONIA :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

MISOPHONIA :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

MISOPHONIA :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

this disorder is so cruel....and sooooooooooo many suffer so much in SILENCE(yes the irony occurs to me)
we all believe we are alone, that we are the only ones......WELL....

you are not alone.

no cure, no treatment, most MD's will not even know what you are talking about

if you posted in this thread, please, seriously read up on misophonia, there are vids on YouTube

BassAlien
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Dec 2014, 12:56 pm

I moved out of my ex girlfriend's parents' house because of this. Even though I became basically homeless as a result, I needed to get out THAT badly. When I hear people eating, and especially if I'm eating at the time, I retch and have to go to the nearest sink.

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 1:06 pm

haha me too! And right now, I can't understand why people's table manners seem to continuously get worse instead of better. Every time I see an adult with good or at least descent table manners and then see their kids (even teens, young adults) eating like pigs, I wonder what kind of pathetic parent decided it was ok to NOT teach their kids table manners.

kizzyDeSilva
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Dec 2014, 1:59 pm

MY Dad has an undiagnosed ASD and he has the most terrible table manners - slapping his food, eating with his mouth open and talking while eating with his mouth open. We all hated it so much as children but my Mum once commented on his terrible manners and he threw the food onto the floor so she never said anything again. Even now his eating is terrible and hes 87 i dont know how he has got through so many years without an ounce of embarassment about his manners and such a sense of entitlement re the way he eats. He certainly didnt grow up in a time of poor table manners. His sister My Auntie also has the most terrible eating habits snatching and grabbing food like she hasnt eaten for a week and stuffing more in while some is already in her mouth - pushing food onto my plate uninvited. Its amazing how a small part of someones behaviour can be so mindbendingly annoying. However, I generally dont mind or notice peeps table manners and eatings sounds and style if is not that gross, uninhibited behaviour i have just described. I didnt know this existed. I am sorry as eating is such a social part of life.

mel113
Raven
Raven

14 Dec 2014, 6:23 am

Just the title of this post sets me on edge >_>
I hate it.

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 6:31 am

kizzyDeSilva wrote:
MY Dad has an undiagnosed ASD and he has the most terrible table manners - .

I'm going to guess that given the coordination problems many people on the Spectrum have and the lack of social astuteness that everyone on the Spectrum has - a lot of people on the Spectrum are lacking in dining etiquette skills. I recall Temple Grandin specifically listing "table manners" as one life and social skill that she felt many people with autism sometimes need to be taught.

- Albert Einstein