Page 6 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 6:48 pm

yellowtamarin wrote:
Here's one reason why it might be better to not be on benefits: Most people would prefer to earn their income rather than getting it from the government/taxpayer. So it would be reasonable to assume that someone who relies on government payments may not be as happy with themselves or their life as someone who is able to earn their income. So they might have "negative" traits such as depression or more generally just not being as happy, that may make them less desirable as a partner.

Alternatively if they are perfectly happy with receiving benefits and see no reason why earning their money might be preferable, that attitude may also make them less desirable as a partner.

That makes sense. I'm not particularly happy about being on disability. My goal of re-entering the work force is harder to reach than I had thought. Plus my mental health remains unstable (which is fair reason not to be good dating material on it's own.) But yeah, no one wants to date someone who is unhappy about their status in life. (Or one who deems it preferable to receive government payments than to work when they are able to.)

RyanLewty
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Dec 2014, 9:22 pm

Whether she sees it as a date or not right now, the fact she said yes means she is comfortable with you and that you have a great opportunity to show her that you are 'interested' in her and see if she responds!

Some useful things to look out for on your 'coffee date' to see if she is flirting with you are:

- (as you said she has already done) she is playing with her hair

- she touches her mouth (women often do this to draw your attention to it, because they know its cute ;) )

- she finds excuses to casually touch your arm etc.

- she keeps meeting your eye contact

- she stands closer than 'average' to you

If she does any of these things then its a pretty reliable sign she IS flirting with you!
I actually wrote a post about this last week for my blog, feel free to check it out if this was helpful :D
Mastering Nonverbal Communication - How To Read The 8 Signals That Reveal A Woman Is Flirting With You

I also have some stuff on there on how to let women know you are interested in them without actually having to say anything :) I hope this helps!

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 4:14 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
But, in the "dating scene," it's better to not be on benefits than be on benefits. That's the truth of the matter.

Why?
I've been trying to figure this out and can't.
What is the purpose of the "dating scene?" Is it an economic endeavor as opposed to a romantic one? I don't understand why being on disability would make you a bad partner.

Here's one reason why it might be better to not be on benefits: Most people would prefer to earn their income rather than getting it from the government/taxpayer. So it would be reasonable to assume that someone who relies on government payments may not be as happy with themselves or their life as someone who is able to earn their income. So they might have "negative" traits such as depression or more generally just not being as happy, that may make them less desirable as a partner.

Alternatively if they are perfectly happy with receiving benefits and see no reason why earning their money might be preferable, that attitude may also make them less desirable as a partner.

so dammed if you do and dammed if you don't?
that sounds depressing.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 6:44 am

Or maybe simply because the government's income benefit is low = low income.

I am sure if he is living on interests from 10 Millions deposit in bank, regardless whether he's happy about it or not, will be perceived more attractive by many.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 7:06 am

sly279 wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
But, in the "dating scene," it's better to not be on benefits than be on benefits. That's the truth of the matter.

Why?
What is the purpose of the "dating scene?" Is it an economic endeavor as opposed to a romantic one? I don't understand why being on disability would make you a bad partner.

that sounds depressing.

No, not damned. Just "it's better to not be on benefits than be on benefits". It's not a dramatic as being damned.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 8:24 am

yellowtamarin wrote:

That makes sense. I've felt much happier with myself since I got that job offer from HP. I'm looking forward to starting early next year. I'm especially looking forward to getting employee discounts :D
yellowtamarin wrote:

I held that attitude when I was younger. An attitude I later regretted severely. I managed to change my attitude but I must learn to accept the past for it was.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 8:23 pm

yellowtamarin wrote:
sly279 wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Why?

that sounds depressing.

No, not damned. Just "it's better to not be on benefits than be on benefits". It's not a dramatic as being damned.

certainly feels like it. mind you i have a bunch of things that make me unloveable

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 8:37 pm

sly279 wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:
sly279 wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Why?

that sounds depressing.

certainly feels like it. mind you i have a bunch of things that make me unloveable

I am still bothered by this thread.

I am distressed by the assumption that receiving disability support payments from the government/taxpayer should make one depressed. It does bother me, but I think that's more because of the stigma. For example, if one was receiving support due to say a work related injury (there is a farmer in my province who lost both his arms in a farm equipment malfunction the other day.) Would this person feel ashamed to receive it? Maybe he would. But should he? And should someone who has mental illness be ashamed as well. I suppose no one wants to be the weak one. And mental illness is invisible, so we should just smile and get on with it I'm grateful for the support I have received, but I have to ask myself ... what is my value. And this is where the whole dating circle thing circles back.
I really don't think that receiving disability support or being disabled should preclude one from the dating scene. Not everyone is in the same league as kraftie, but that doesn't mean one has no value. There may be some happy coupling in the lower circles as well.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 8:39 pm

LOL...You don't want to be in the same league as me.

I'm in debt up to my elbows. And it's all my fault. Student loans, especially.

No girl will ever want me for my money!

I'm short, chubby. My teeth aren't the best. I have a bad haircut now. I'm much better at hygiene than when I was younger, though.

I am a total wallflower when it comes to most things. I'm a square and a half--not even a rectangle.

The reason why I could give advice is because I know how it feels to be undesirable to women. That was my state throughout most of my 20's.

You have to remember what I said--and don't misinterpret me!

If I fall in love with a person who happens to be on "disability," I'll still love her just the same than if she was rich.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 8:48 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm in debt up to my elbows. And it's all my fault. Student loans, especially.

I went bankrupt last year. I'll never have credit again, but it was worth it.

Quote:
I'm short, chubby. My teeth aren't the best. I have a bad haircut now. I'm much better at hygiene than when I was younger, though.

I'm a stout and stubby creature and I cut all my hair off myself the other day. Feels better, but doesn't look so good. But honestly, I don't get how people can fuss so much over dead matter being slowly excreted through the scalp. Only humans could find beauty in that.

Quote:
The reason why I could give advice is because I know how it feels to be undesirable to women.

Yeah, I'm not exactly a great catch these days. I did better in my twenties...youth and all.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 8:56 pm

You'll be able to get credit in seven years, if not less.

Your hair will grow back. I cut off all my hair twice: once when I was 10, the other time when I was 29. It grew back in a couple of months both times. Bald models exist, by the way.

You have lots going for you. You have lots of smarts--some of which I don't have.

I'm of average intelligence; I thought I was "superior"--turned out I wasn't. You're probably in the "superior" range (according to the Wechsler Test).

You're going through a tough time right now. There are ways out.

Don't let people judge you. Forget about what other people think. Just do things for your own satisfaction and edification.

I'm judged all the time. I haven't been promoted in 34 years on the job--for good reason. No leadership skills.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 9:23 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You'll be able to get credit in seven years, if not less.

They would be fools to lend to me. But who knows, maybe in 7 years I will be a best selling author with oodles of money. :)

Quote:
Your hair will grow back. I cut off all my hair twice ...

I've done this several times before. This is actually one of my better cuts. lol

Quote:
You have lots going for you. You have lots of smarts--some of which I don't have.

I'm of average intelligence; I thought I was "superior"--turned out I wasn't. You're probably in the "superior" range (according to the Wechsler Test).

Never taken the Wechsler test, but I did take the LSAT once and did well.

Quote:
You're going through a tough time right now. There are ways out.

Don't let people judge you. Forget about what other people think. Just do things for your own satisfaction and edification.

I'm judged all the time. I haven't been promoted in 34 years on the job--for good reason. No leadership skills.

Yeah, I don't want to die without having done something worthwhile.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 9:32 pm

My mother made me put on a hat every day for a couple of weeks after I cut off all my hair at age 10.

In truth, this was the result of a bad haircut I gave myself. I got sick of my hair, so I gave myself a haircut. It was like the final result of a forest fire. Luckily, I had two bucks, so I went to the barber, who told me that he had to shave all my hair off. Very costly haircut.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 11:52 pm

androbot01 wrote:
sly279 wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:
sly279 wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Why?

that sounds depressing.

I am distressed by the assumption that receiving disability support payments from the government/taxpayer should make one depressed. It does bother me, but I think that's more because of the stigma. For example, if one was receiving support due to say a work related injury (there is a farmer in my province who lost both his arms in a farm equipment malfunction the other day.) Would this person feel ashamed to receive it? Maybe he would. But should he? And should someone who has mental illness be ashamed as well. I suppose no one wants to be the weak one. And mental illness is invisible, so we should just smile and get on with it I'm grateful for the support I have received, but I have to ask myself ... what is my value. And this is where the whole dating circle thing circles back.
I really don't think that receiving disability support or being disabled should preclude one from the dating scene. Not everyone is in the same league as kraftie, but that doesn't mean one has no value. There may be some happy coupling in the lower circles as well.

I can't see any assumption in the posts you have quoted that "receiving disability support payments from the government/taxpayer should make one depressed". It shouldn't. Nothing should, ever. But things can and do. And receiving government support payments is one thing that may. For whatever reason. The reason doesn't matter, what matters (to prospective partners) is that unhappiness and depression are more likely to be present in people in certain circumstances than those in others.

And so just statistically speaking, if you were to choose to a) be on benefits, or b) successfully earn your own wage, based on the likelihood of you being as happy you could be with your life and your self in each scenario, which would you choose?

Also shame was never mentioned until you brought it up. Of course the man in your example shouldn't feel ashamed. But that doesn't mean he's not likely to feel less happy with his life or himself than if he still had his arms. People do tend to feel less happy about things when they don't go they way they would like.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2014, 12:04 am

androbot01 wrote:

I don't get it either. I feel bad about it only because women tend to look down on guys who are on benefits and men tend to make fun of them or rant about how they stealing their money.

otherwise if it paid more like it should, I wouldn't care where my money comes from. money is money. I don't get why people care where it comes from. like doctors or stores, if you getting paid $1 for a $1 of goods why do you care.
its like stores who refused to take black people's money back int the 1900s. who knows maybe one day it won't be a stigma.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2014, 8:58 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
And so just statistically speaking, if you were to choose to a) be on benefits, or b) successfully earn your own wage, based on the likelihood of you being as happy you could be with your life and your self in each scenario, which would you choose?

I didn't choose to be on benefits. I'm on them because I'm ill.