Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

B19
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 7:10 pm

http://www.dr-abudyar.com/pdf/specialneeds/B28.pdf

This link is to a 2010 doctoral thesis which is fairly lengthy, though if you are also interested in how the narratives about autism impact on us, how they came about, and what the deeper social and political implications are, it's a must read.

It addresses many aspects of the topics which get discussed here in threads from time to time.

In general, the author takes a negative view of the disability narrative and its application to everyone on the spectrum. He carefully analyses how it works and explains the basis of his objections.

We need more PhD's like this one..

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 4:36 am

Excellent read even though it cost me a nights sleep. I can't say learned anything basically new but it it enhanced my knowledge greatly. I know the "refrigerator mother" era was bad for autistics and their mothers was very bad but was clueless as to how bad and how the whole idea autism stealing children goes back to Bruno Bettelheim.
Paper was written in 2010 so to see the word "backlash" the exact word I use is eerie. At that time the backlash was at it's early stages but all the elements (including self diagnosis) were discussed. What makes it eerie is the backlash issues are the primary today and the idea of "the geek syndrome" the central theme of the paper seems quaint (and makes me a bit jealous about being undiagnosed and unaware in that more positive era.)

It was disappointing to see yet again nothing beyond social presentation discussed

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 3:36 pm

It's my hope and yours too perhaps, that in years to come, (probably when I am long gone) people on the spectrum will take control of their own narrative in a proactive rather than reactive way, and so end a long era of disempowerment and being disempowered. As long as ASD people are regarded as victims or choose that identity themselves, they will be disempowered, because victims are seen by others as people without power, and people without power are "acted upon" rather than self-determining, regarded as "less thans" and "those, them, they".

Though it is certainly a contestable view, I think that the first step in the (slow, too slow) move to pro-activity and taking charge of the dominant discourse is fully understanding the history - inside and out. It's like learning a language: first you have to know a bit of vocabulary, and then you build on that.

It is utterly possible for the ASD community to be politically empowered, though most have to realise that first, before it can begin to happen. The true barriers are not in the hands of outfits like A-Speaks, but in the minds and in the consciousness of the disempowered... well that was a bit of a rant wasn't it? Felt quite therapeutic :?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 5:26 am

Being a victim is not a matter of choice. Gaining understanding of how and why that happened, and how or if one reacts to being victimized is.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 05 Dec 2014, 5:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 5:29 am

Yes, I see what you are saying, and we are in general agreement on that.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 4:38 pm

I am confused as to what the victimhood narrative is. Sometimes I feel like a victim of my autism, but not otherwise.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 4:52 pm

People have different views on that. Mine is this: victimhood is when the state of being or feeling victimised fuses with personal identity - when the person sees themselves through that lens whatever is happening in the external world. It is saying "I am hopeless, powerless, useless and bad things always happen to me" - and believing it.

To clarify: s**t happens - at the beginning of this year I was mugged in the street and my handbag stolen. I was victimised by a thug. I was the victim of the criminal actions of this thug (he got 3 months jail). He acted and I reacted - I was shaken, physically upset, emotionally upset. People immediately offered me support (comfort, use of a telephone, calling the police) and this validated the distress I felt and eased it.
I was still a bit shaken up for a couple of days while the adrenaline in my system was racing around.

But I am not a victim. Bad things happen to good people. Not being a victim as a personal identity means exercising choice in your own life and acting in your own best interest, as often as you can. Staying in control of your own destiny rather than reacting to the whims, opinions or dictates of others. Not accepting disempowering labels from others, and applying them inwards onto your self. Not being a doormat.

Not sure if that clarifies the difference for you...

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 5:15 pm

I feel like a victim of myself. That I am incapable of success because of what I am. I'm not totally blaming autism as I'd had some bad luck otherwise (although a case could be made that misfortune was caused by my autism.) But I haven't totally given up. I am taking steps to take care of myself with the services that are available. So I guess that empowers me.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 5:39 pm

Yes, it does. I know that things are rocky for you right now though you are still making good choices.