KayteeKay
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jan 2015, 7:48 pm

yellowtamarin wrote:
KayteeKay wrote:
Vomelche wrote:
KayteeKay wrote:
Well, I don't play dating games. If I like a guy, I'll say yes if he asks me out. If I don't? I won't.

But there are ways to be more likable, hence the game exists.

I'm not into games. If someone doesn't like me (or I don't like them), well, why on earth would I play some sort of game to make them like me? Or vice-versa.

Makes. No. Sense.

I've definitely witnessed people being "worn down" and convinced to give someone a go, and they end up a couple. Personally, I wouldn't want to date someone I had to work to convince, but it clearly floats some people's boats.

And presumably a the folks who don't get "worn down" file restraining orders. Or tell everyone they know some creepy dude stalks them.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2015, 9:04 pm

KayteeKay wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:
KayteeKay wrote:
Vomelche wrote:
KayteeKay wrote:
Well, I don't play dating games. If I like a guy, I'll say yes if he asks me out. If I don't? I won't.

But there are ways to be more likable, hence the game exists.

I'm not into games. If someone doesn't like me (or I don't like them), well, why on earth would I play some sort of game to make them like me? Or vice-versa.

Makes. No. Sense.

I've definitely witnessed people being "worn down" and convinced to give someone a go, and they end up a couple. Personally, I wouldn't want to date someone I had to work to convince, but it clearly floats some people's boats.

And presumably a the folks who don't get "worn down" file restraining orders. Or tell everyone they know some creepy dude stalks them.

:lol:

Woman A: "I met my husband as a sophomore in college. We were both into archaeology. How about you?"

Woman B: "He just sort of showed up one day and started following me around everywhere. We had nothing in common and I found him revolting and obnoxious. But eventually he wore me down and I decided to just give up and marry him."

existentialterror
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jan 2015, 2:57 pm

Butterfiend wrote:
Why is dating a game? What's worse is that it seems that the rules aren't even written down. There's just too many subtleties that make no sense to me.

It is paranoia. People are afraid of the other person being a nutjob, stalker, etc. Then, there is the fear of seeming like a nutjob, stalker, etc. Lack of trust. People only reveal themselves in very vague, positive terms. It is like a dance...

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 5:45 am

yellowtamarin wrote:

That sounds terribly negative. In my experience, it's not so much about getting worn down as it is about not rushing into things and taking it real slow. I simply want to know if a girl has a reasonable persistent interest in me before I want to go any further. I don't want crushes on girls that one days shows interest in me and the next day in somebody else, and I definitely don't want relationships with such girls.

I wouldn't be surprised if some girls (and probably guys as well) are actually turned on by somebody showing a persistent interest. I certainly am. Can't see anything wrong with that. I'm pretty sure this is a neurodiverse traits as well.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 5:55 am

Syd wrote:
Woman A: "I met my husband as a sophomore in college. We were both into archaeology. How about you?"

Woman B: "He just sort of showed up one day and started following me around everywhere. We had nothing in common and I found him revolting and obnoxious. But eventually he wore me down and I decided to just give up and marry him."

There is another way to describe it:

Woman A: "I met my husband online after we both had tried dating hundreds of people and had hundreds of one-night-stands".

Woman B: "He got interested in my at a dance event, and then he kind of showed up from time to time and we always danced a lot. A few years later we got into a committed relationship without any real dating".

nomoretears
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jan 2015, 1:57 pm

sly279 wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:
sly279 wrote:
wait. is that common that a guy inviting girl to his room means sex?

isn't what I would mean it for. I live in my room so its just having them there and cuddling I hope.

Inviting to his house doesn't necessarily mean sex (as described in my previous post) but inviting to his ROOM is much more likely to mean sex. If you invite a girl to your room, expect that she may think you want sex.

But it depends of course on the dynamic already established between the two of you. It may already be clear that that is not what you mean, through previous actions and how well you know each other, etc.

but my family/roommates live in the house too, so i'd have to invite her to my room so we could spend time together. :S

nomoretears wrote:
sly279 wrote:
wait. is that common that a guy inviting girl to his room means sex?

isn't what I would mean it for. I live in my room so its just having them there and cuddling I hope.

Yup. Really just inviting a woman to this house/ car /anywhere they may end up being alone. In my experience, its very rare for a man to mean he just wants to cuddle. Ive tried giving plenty of men benefit of a doubt, but 98% of the time it was a ruse. Maybe nts do this all the time, but to me it seems like lying and trickery.

I love cuddling, though there is a reaction after a while where i start to hump which can either lead to me stopping/her asking to stop or some fun making out and dry humping. I'd say make love or sex if that was what I wanted. the dry humping a unfortunate reaction to my hormones and bodies touching. I wish it did't happen :'(

car? doesn't make sense how would you then get rides from guys if it was always about sex?

did they dry hump you? if so might not been a ruse but just unconscious reaction.

I've had guys try to hump me in the car lol
Nowadays I don't accept rides from dates I don't know. I will only take a ride from relatives or boyfriend.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 2:51 pm

The reason dating is a game is for one of three reasons.
A) The person has no intention of making a commitment.
B) The person is afraid to make a mental commitment to someone he/she just met. This is very common and very cowardly. It's not that hard to trust others and trust oneself. But, many simple things are made out to be overly complicated, not just dating.
C) The person is just copying what everyone else does, and is afraid of trusting someone until x number of months have passed by.

The key here, as far as the shift in attitudes over the years, is a vast increase in the number of people who don't have the guts to say no. Saying no is not that hard, whether in general or for ending a relationship. But many people have a great fear of looking bad. Often they don't understand the difference between fault and responsibility, which in dating often means finding someone willing to take responsibility for their sense of well-being.
The other key is the outsized expectations in dating, especially from women. Women never used to expect the sun, the moon, and the stars in relationships. Now, with marriage as an option, and a vaguely scoffed at option at that, the attitude is commonly negative and egotistical, i.e. "There will always be other men!" or "You don't have to put up with that, girl!" Over the past however many years, I think this fake you-go-girl stuff is starting to go away and is being replaced with more common sense. I credit the economy for forcing people to be more realistic. That, and the fact that the fake empowerment movement has been a colossal failure.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 4:10 pm

rdos wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:

That sounds terribly negative. In my experience, it's not so much about getting worn down as it is about not rushing into things and taking it real slow. I simply want to know if a girl has a reasonable persistent interest in me before I want to go any further. I don't want crushes on girls that one days shows interest in me and the next day in somebody else, and I definitely don't want relationships with such girls.

I wouldn't be surprised if some girls (and probably guys as well) are actually turned on by somebody showing a persistent interest. I certainly am. Can't see anything wrong with that. I'm pretty sure this is a neurodiverse traits as well.

I'm talking about hardcore convincing here. Like a man who pursued a women for a couple of years and she was clearly not interested and didn't even really like him as a person for most of that time.

If someone tells me they are not interested, I move on. I think it's a ridiculous game to tell someone you are not interested in the hope that they will keep trying, to "prove" their interest in you. What are you doing in return to "prove" your interest in them? These things should be mutual, not with one person controlling the other.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 8:38 pm

rdos wrote:
Syd wrote:

There is another way to describe it:

Woman A: "I met my husband online after we both had tried dating hundreds of people and had hundreds of one-night-stands".

Woman B: "He got interested in my at a dance event, and then he kind of showed up from time to time and we always danced a lot. A few years later we got into a committed relationship without any real dating".

I dunno. I found Syd's version funnier. :lol:

SwissPagan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2015, 12:18 am

I tend to favor being with my fellow foreigners, they don't get he game either, so we just act like human beings...

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 2:28 am

  This question gets confusing when people mis-focus on the word "Game."
It is not a game, it is survival -and there clearly and definitely are multiple tactics and strategies constantly being engaged in.

        to get a glimpse see wiki/Sexual_conflict

Women cannot help but engage in a 500,000,000 year developing behavior that eventually lead to the success of our species.
It IS intended to confuse us. (included is the behavior to deny they do this)

        Should female creatures* behave "like this"?
This is a stoopid question because how ELSE should they behave -even if a thoroughly complete change could be caused by space aliens?

Males** are simple, they just want to have sex and go away to have more sex elsewhere (this is a good strategy for the success of a species, which is why it developed)

A better strategy for the success of a species is to pool resources (the male sticks around and hands over loot for sex)
But this is more recent, and it has to somewhat combat the early (still reasonably useful) very thoroughly developed strategy.
So women have to devise a way to stop men from leaving them pregnant AND how to get their loot. (and how to get men to actually go out and get them MORE loot instead of having fun [sex] all the time)

  * there's more than just humans involved here
  ** when a male (or female) gets all righteously indignant and claim that "maybe other people" act like that but THEEEEEEYYYYY most certainly do NOT!! they are simply validating the theory by trying to make themselves look better (more attractive) to others (opposite sex) by acting all "better than thou."

If you want to know about self-loathing-man-haters watch 29/31 by Garfunkel and Oates.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 4:33 pm

yellowtamarin wrote:
If someone tells me they are not interested, I move on. I think it's a ridiculous game to tell someone you are not interested in the hope that they will keep trying, to "prove" their interest in you. What are you doing in return to "prove" your interest in them? These things should be mutual, not with one person controlling the other.

I don't want to talk to a girl I'm interested in until I've observed her for a while, so talking about interest would be pretty hard to do. If she doesn't show some kind of persistent interest I won't even go on and talk to her at all.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 5:30 pm

rdos wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:

I don't want to talk to a girl I'm interested in until I've observed her for a while, so talking about interest would be pretty hard to do. If she doesn't show some kind of persistent interest I won't even go on and talk to her at all.

What if she's doing the same thing? You both miss out!

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2015, 4:16 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
rdos wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:

What if she's doing the same thing? You both miss out!

Not at all. If she also waits for a persistent interest then it works as it should. Then I'll eventually work up my courage to talk to her (or she'll work up her courage to talk to me). When this eventually happens both parties already know there is mutual interest, so there is no need to ask about that. That also makes contacting them so much less scary as you already know you won't get rejected. :wink:

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2015, 5:16 am

Jjancee wrote:
It's not a game -- it's possible you are simply a repulsive person no one (sensibly) wants anything to do with!

To the person who reported this - well it's a bit old post, but nonetheless, Jjancee, can we please keep it civil?

nomoretears
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jan 2015, 9:09 am

Vomelche wrote:
nomoretears wrote:
Heres one I have really struggled with.

"Why dont you come over for a cuddle/watch a movie/dinner."
In my younger days I didnt realize that meant, "Lets have sex." Guys would be confused or even angry because they expected sex while I expected to watch a movie. If he wanted sex, why not be honest and not waste my time?

Because some women might not like it if a guy asks for sex directly. This is the problem of the expectation to be politically correct or following some social norms, as aspiemike also pointed out. It is quite common, and it creates communication issues.

I also agree that playing games is more of an immature thing. Experienced people skip the games and bureaucracy, and go straight for what they want.

Ia agree that some women prefer the subtleties. I go to other forums with nt women,and some are cool with the game, which I think is totally dumb. Ive called them out on it.