nomoretears
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jan 2015, 9:09 am

Vomelche wrote:
nomoretears wrote:
Heres one I have really struggled with.

"Why dont you come over for a cuddle/watch a movie/dinner."
In my younger days I didnt realize that meant, "Lets have sex." Guys would be confused or even angry because they expected sex while I expected to watch a movie. If he wanted sex, why not be honest and not waste my time?

Because some women might not like it if a guy asks for sex directly. This is the problem of the expectation to be politically correct or following some social norms, as aspiemike also pointed out. It is quite common, and it creates communication issues.

I also agree that playing games is more of an immature thing. Experienced people skip the games and bureaucracy, and go straight for what they want.

Ia agree that some women prefer the subtleties. I go to other forums with nt women,and some are cool with the game, which I think is totally dumb. Ive called them out on it.

darkphantomx
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jan 2015, 11:21 pm

As Taylor Swift once sang, loves a game wanna play?

Non_Passerine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jan 2015, 12:43 pm

I see dating as a competition, with marriage as a grand prize. (although I wish it would be easier to fight against your romantic rivals for your love interest's hand)

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 5:11 pm

Non_Passerine wrote:
I see dating as a competition, with marriage as a grand prize. (although I wish it would be easier to fight against your romantic rivals for your love interest's hand)

Marriage isn't a prize. It is a way of life that can have good times and bad times and the wedding is only really the beginning of the journey. The prize is finding that you can still be there for each other even when times are rough. That's the real test, how well you cope together when you face problems.

Men are not prizes they are people who need emotional support and love too. They are not heros in a storybook. They are beautiful and flawed at the same time, just as women are.

Non_Passerine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jan 2015, 5:59 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Marriage isn't a prize. It is a way of life that can have good times and bad times and the wedding is only really the beginning of the journey.

Isn't the first date the beginning of the journey? That's the start of a couple's life together.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 4:21 am

Non_Passerine wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
Marriage isn't a prize. It is a way of life that can have good times and bad times and the wedding is only really the beginning of the journey.

Isn't the first date the beginning of the journey? That's the start of a couple's life together.

No. Dating is a neurotypical method for starting relationships. For me, the start of the journey is when you start to observe each others.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 1:40 pm

Point taken. I phrased that badly. What I meant is that marriage isn't an end.

Well, if you're lucky.

I know happily married people and i know unhappily married people. Marriage itself doesn't guarantee happiness, it all depends on the people involved in the process.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 7:08 pm

rdos wrote:
Non_Passerine wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

No. Dating is a neurotypical method for starting relationships. For me, the start of the journey is when you start to observe each others.

...whiiiich happens when you start dating, I would hope! I have no interest in having a "milestone" in a relationship, such as a marriage, so there's no particular point to say the journey has started other than when we first meet or date.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2015, 2:31 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
rdos wrote:
Non_Passerine wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

...whiiiich happens when you start dating, I would hope! I have no interest in having a "milestone" in a relationship, such as a marriage, so there's no particular point to say the journey has started other than when we first meet or date.

Not for me because I don't do dating. Rather, the other milestone is the first time you hug each others, which typically is the start of a relationship for me. Marriage is just a contract and not a milestone.

Non_Passerine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jan 2015, 7:01 pm

rdos wrote:
Marriage is just a contract and not a milestone.

Then why wait until the wedding to throw a big party? Why not throw it earlier in the relationship, like soon after you start dating?

KayteeKay
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2015, 10:27 pm

Dating is only a game if you choose to make it one. You do t have to!

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 2:20 pm

Non_Passerine wrote:
rdos wrote:
Marriage is just a contract and not a milestone.

Then why wait until the wedding to throw a big party? Why not throw it earlier in the relationship, like soon after you start dating?

Weddings mean different things to different people. Some view it as a way to announce to the world that they plan to spend the rest of their lives together as a couple and they want to celebrate that by having a gathering of all their loved ones and family.

Some people are more private and don't really have the desire to include all of their friends and family in that part of their life. They maybe have a small wedding at a registry office, or maybe they just don't get married at all and don't see the point in it. They just keep going on with their commitment to each other without an outward show in the way of a ceremony. Maybe their big commitment to each other is buying a house together, maybe it is just that they wake up together every day. People are different.

Some see marriage as just a contract because it doesn't change the fact that they love each other. They don't feel the need to write their names on a piece of paper and have it registered that they are together. They know that they are together, their friends know and that's enough for them.

Huey
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jan 2015, 8:24 pm

Hi. I don't believe I can bring myself to base any aspect of my life on anything Taylor Swift sang once, but I do believe I can offer a different perspective, if no one objects.

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 10:02 pm

Some people marry for status, or as a trend. These are probably the ones that are not very successful.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 5:09 am

Huey wrote:
Hi. I don't believe I can bring myself to base any aspect of my life on anything Taylor Swift sang once, but I do believe I can offer a different perspective, if no one objects.

You are too polite, just jump in and tell us what you think. A different perspective is always good to hear. :D

LeLetch
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Jan 2015, 6:56 am

Dating is game. It is this way. Many do not know why is it like this.

Some people lose. They are losers? Does anybody want to date a loser?

The answer is no.

That is why the game is there. It's a test. We test people differently, i think.

Or maybe we don't test them at all.

I don't like testing them. I also like dating my friends. It's not a course of action that i'd advise.

Perhaps i'll switch to the playing games method.