3. Leave me alone 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
4. Huh? 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
5. No 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 10

RoyalBlood
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2014, 8:22 pm

I am new to the forum but a spectrum person for 58 fun filled years. I am very happy that the DSM dropped Asperger and moved to spectrum disorder as it is far more descriptive of the issues and more inclusive. The next step is to get folks to understand the syptoms for lack of a better word present in a more subtle way than the wording of the literature suggests. Once examined under the proper way I think many more folks shall join our ranks and start to understand that we are part of a class of normal as much as they are.

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2014, 8:56 pm

"spectrum people" sounds rather awkward tbh.

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 10:02 pm

Hey RoyalBlood welcome. :sunny:

outlander
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Dec 2014, 11:41 pm

I greatly prefer the title Aspie as short for Asperger's syndrome. It is much more accurate of where I am on the spectrum
To use "spectrum person" is like looking at the color purple and saying "I see something on the color spectrum" Purple is a much more definitive word. I perceive "Aspie" (when used by aspies themselves) to be a warmer friendlier word, than the cold clinical sound of "spectrum person"

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 6:46 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

I personally prefer "Aspie", but it's a matter of how a person with AS wants to be called.

RoyalBlood
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Dec 2014, 8:15 pm

As someone not asperger but on the spectrum if I was to use aspie as my label,(in a world were folks do want lebels), someone may expect stereotyped behavior I don't have or because I don't act they way they understand they condescendingly say oh the Dr wrong or your self diagnosed. Someone on the spectrum yet not diagnosed as Asperger could feel this is not the place for them as it is only for fully medically diagnosed Asperger,(or in similar situations). Personally I am not sure I want any label, but I do find it very handy as a communication device to help in the readers digest explanations I prefer if I absolutely have to explain anything.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 9:01 pm

I still refer to myself as an aspie because it makes me sound smart, ;) but I know it is in fact no longer a recognized term. Just as well, because I'd be somewhat of a weird cross between "Aspergers" and "classic autism" in the old standard. The current system, where it's just "autism with/without intellectual and/or language impairment" works well, and sums things up nicely. When you really think about it, the only real difference between "Aspergers" and "High Functioning Autism" in the old system was that people with "Aspergers" had higher than average IQs and no language delays in early childhood. Things have progressed, and IQ is measured in a much different way, negating these distinctions.

But the main issue I have with the term "autism" is that people have turned it into an offensive loaded term synonymous with "ret*d", and if I describe myself as "autistic", people will think I'm insulting myself. On the other hand, as soon as you mention Aspergers, people start thinking of Sheldon Cooper (and in years prior, Gregory House). I think these two characters are awesome, personally, and it is kinda flattering to be compared to them, but I can see why this would irritate some people. In either case, both have become somewhat "loaded" terms, which is very unfortunate, but it just so happens that one's way worse than the other, so I use the one that makes people think of lovable TV characters. :P

RoyalBlood
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Dec 2014, 9:33 pm

Thats a good way to look at I think, everyone loves those characters and there is no negative connotation.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2014, 9:42 pm

"Aspie" is an ugly word to me. Whether I get diagnosed or not, I don't want to use it, and "autistic" and "Asperger's Syndrome" are too politicized for my taste. I respect and support the political issues, I just don't much care to be a part of them, or to make people think of them by using those terms. And even if I get diagnosed, I'm not a textbook case of AS and would probably question the diagnosis too much to be completely comfortable with the term AS.

I'm just going to call myself neurovar (neurologically + variant). To hell with it. It works for both the diagnosed and the undiagnosed. Sort of. I guess if one has never been diagnosed with anything, and doesn't have obvious neurological differences like seizures, one can't be totally sure that one is neurologically variant. But maybe it's good enough to simply find oneself constantly out of step with other people.

But something I found funny in the "person with autism" vs. "autistic person" discussion a few months back: somebody said, "what am I, an alpaca with autism?" I think it would be awesome to call myself that: an alpaca with autism. :) Or maybe go old school and use "autistic psychopathy." I think that would get some amusing reactions from people. :lol: