If there was an Autistic state would you migrate there?

Page 7 of 17 [ 261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 17  Next

Would you move to a state for ASD people?
Yes 32%  32%  [ 28 ]
No 55%  55%  [ 48 ]
Maybe (state why) 14%  14%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 88

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 1:13 am

OMG no! Could you imagine what that would be like? You can't put a bunch of us together on an online forum without all kinds of misunderstandings and conflict. If you put us together face to face and forced us to live there it would be a bloodbath.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 1:33 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
OMG no! Could you imagine what that would be like? You can't put a bunch of us together on an online forum without all kinds of misunderstandings and conflict. If you put us together face to face and forced us to live there it would be a bloodbath.

OMG! sad.. yes! But TRUE.. YES! :)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 3:36 pm

Agree with the above two posts.

ASD folks not only differ from the mainstream, but differ from each other. Within the one percent (or so) of the population who are ASD there is probably more variety in thinking styles then there is among 99 percent of the population who are NT.

And ASD folks come from the same variety of backgrounds as do NTs. So ASD folks differ in both their mental hardware, and in their culture/social/educational mental software. On top of that they are less equipped to be diplomatic and to paper over differences than NTs. So the differences become enhanced rather than minimized.

Just don't see it working at all.

o0iella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jan 2015, 5:24 pm

Quote:
The idea of an Autistic state, I assume you mean sovereign nation by this, is so complicated that only really tiny generalizations can be bantered here. And it couldn't really exist today, maybe in a few centuries if the world becomes a great deal more progressive in its social policies.

Yes, it can exist today! Click on the link provided

Quote:

The thing is that autistic people have only been gathering in social groups for the past two decades at most. Neurotypicals have been trying to find ways to work together for thousands of years and they still haven't got it right. It's like going back to ancient Sumeria and saying living in cities will never work.

I think there have been lots of successes amongst autism groups, and I hope to build on that with this project.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 6:55 pm

But why?

What is the supposed advantage of autistics living in an autistic nation-state?

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 1:45 am

It would be impossible to secure any real amount of physical land for such a place, unless you had one of the greater or super powers of the world backing the idea. That's the only reason Israel exists. Imagine the acts of terrorism that would be directed at us as well. And the idea of enclaves sounds sketchy, kind of like those South American housing projects where everyone ended up being forced to drink "koolaid".

I understand the possible benefits of such a place, children born into a land that doesn't mistreat them for their social differences, after the first generation many comorbid symptoms might disappear, but these can be achieved in modern society today, it's called raising acceptance not awareness. There's a social war ahead and it wont be pretty but I think we'll come out on top. And yeah, people on the spectrum are far from being a people of same mind, we're an army of very specific individuals, it's like the argument for existence of different races. ASD is also not fully understood yet genetically.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 1:56 am

So you found 2.5 million square miles of unclaimed land in Eastern Europe, that's a pretty volatile place in the world these days with its proximity to Russia and whatnot. I wouldn't move there for that reason alone.

o0iella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jan 2015, 5:22 am

Quote:
I understand the possible benefits of such a place, children born into a land that doesn't mistreat them for their social differences, after the first generation many comorbid symptoms might disappear

Good point, I think you partly answered naturalplastic's question.

Also, if we do build a successful independent community, the wider world will start to see us as just another group of humans rather than a group of people who are defective.

Quote:
it's called raising acceptance not awareness. There's a social war ahead and it wont be pretty but I think we'll come out on top.

The risk is that the genetic causes of Autism could be found, and Autistic babies could just end up being aborted before acceptance of Autism arrives.

, but these can be achieved in modern society today, it's called raising acceptance not awareness.

o0iella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jan 2015, 5:23 am

Quote:
So you found 2.5 million square miles of unclaimed land in Eastern Europe, that's a pretty volatile place in the world these days with its proximity to Russia and whatnot.

Eh? Germany is closer to Russia than this place

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 11:33 am

o0iella wrote:
Quote:
So you found 2.5 million square miles of unclaimed land in Eastern Europe, that's a pretty volatile place in the world these days with its proximity to Russia and whatnot.

Except Germany is a sovereign nation state and its a little bit closer to Western Europe. I don't even feel comfortable with the idea of living in Germany. This location you say is in Eastern Europe. It used to be behind the Iron Curtain, you can bet if Russia gets mobile again, which its already showing signs of, you'd be in trouble. Have you heard what they do to LGBT people in Russia, I can only imagine what they'd do to a community of identified Autistics.

No I won't bite, this project is severely underfunded, you're talking about living in a ghetto that can hopefully sustain itself with natural resources and Jerry rigged generators. Could I possibly survive out there? Yes I'm not helpless and am quite fit. Am I going to? No. I would prefer to remain in the first world even with all its problems and try to do some good here.

o0iella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jan 2015, 1:45 pm

Quote:
I don't even feel comfortable with the idea of living in Germany.....if Russia gets mobile again, which its already showing signs of.

Christ, what kind of fantasy nightmare world do you live in?

Quote:
No I won't bite, this project is severely underfunded, you're talking about living in a ghetto that can hopefully sustain itself with natural resources and Jerry rigged generators.

It actually has the potential to make a lot of money, but it's not really gonna be suitable for the type of person who sits around complaining all the time and never gets anything done.

If anyone feels they want to be part of the solution, then please step forward.

mpe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2015, 3:30 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:

Two aspies can be as different from each other as either is from an NT. Or if you prefer whilst we might all be on the "wrong planet" we don't all have the same "home planet"!
Thus the whole "autistic state" idea could never possibly be workable.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 4:11 pm

"If a, then z."

That's very much like saying that the difference between a Mullah in the Islamic State and a lesbian gay rights activistist in San Fransisco rules out the possibility of humans every forming communities...

At the moment, however, my intention is focused more on developing city-in-a-box, the expansion pack to the global village construction set. I want to build a Commonwealth of MIcronations that are post-scarcity and self-sufficient. So, I'm up for helping anyone wanting to build a village (cue, "Do you want to build a village?"), but I have no wish to settle down anywhere yet; I have a heavenly city in mind. It's a dwarf planet called Ceres.

So, I might come out and see such a settlement, and help in some building work, but not for moving there.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 4:55 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:

and you are basing this on what... exactly?

My deviant art profile

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 4:56 pm

o0iella wrote:
Quote:

How can you find 2.5 million square miles of unclaimed land in Eastern Europe when the entire continent of Europe (from the Atlantic to the Ural Mountains in Russia) is less than 3 million square miles?

You found a piece of land almost as big all of Europe rolled up in closet (like a carpet) inside of Eastern Europe?

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 5:01 pm

This seems to sum the whole debate up

My deviant art profile