Anybody here do well on the GMAT or similar tests?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

rugulach
Toucan
Toucan

06 Dec 2014, 1:10 pm

I am talking about the Graduate Management Admission Test or a test with similar type of questions. Specifically, how did you manage to tackle the data sufficiency, analytical writing, reading comprehension, critical reasoning, and sentence correction sections? These are the sections I would surmise would prove very challenging to someone on the spectrum. So, what was your game-plan to study for and crack them?

On that note, has anyone here done an MBA from a top tier B-school?

nikaTheJellyfish
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Dec 2014, 1:23 am

I did great on the GRE. I have always been a math person, and for reading I do ok as long as it is multiple choice.

RobertLovesPi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Dec 2014, 11:19 pm

I did better than I deserved to do on the GRE, based on my mathematical ability. No one beat my math GRE score -- I got the highest score possible -- yet I know many friends whose knowledge of mathematics dwarfs my own.

I conclude, from this, two things: I'm good at guessing correctly, and good at taking tests. Standardized tests measure, more than anything else, the ability to take standardized tests.

The importance of such tests has been greatly exaggerated, and this problem only seems to be getting worse.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 4:28 pm

When I took the GRE, I found a book of actual release copies of the test (I guess a book published by ETS) more helpful than the books by Princeton, Kaplan, etc.

PS And yes, I'll acknowledge that it is kind of a rip-off that a person has to buy a book from the actual people who make and promote the test. But moneywise, I suppose one of the lesser expenses. And I guess a person has to pick their battles.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 6:31 pm

I took the GMAT in the mid 1980s. I took a course to help prepare for the test. I found the course quite useful (as it explained test strategy and included several practice tests).

I did not receive an MBA from a top-tier B-school. In fact, it would have been a waste of time/money to attend a top-tier B-school because I am not good at networking or relationship building. Instead, I attended a part time program at night (which was paid for by my employer), while working during the day. While it was difficult (to handle both work and school at the same time), it certainly kept my mind occupied. Which for me, is always a good thing.