Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

alex
Developer
Developer

06 Dec 2014, 2:14 pm

From left/right brain

"With all the recent hullabaloo about how celebrities being autistic somehow harms the autism community (if you don’t know what I’m talking about, check news sources for Jerry Seinfeld and autism), one counter example seems to be ignored: Dan Aykroyd. Mr. Aykroyd is perhaps most famous for his movie Ghost Busters, but his credits are many (including my favorite, Elwood Blues of the Blues Brothers). He’s a successful entertainer, and a diagnosed autistic.

Begs the question, why no backlash against him?

One can only speculate, so speculate I will. First, Mr. Aykroyd’s “coming out” didn’t make such a public splash. In my mind, that’s the most likely explanation for a lack of backlash. People could see his statement as more of a threat. Also, with more publicity, people know that their responses will be more widely read. A second reason for the difference in response is that Mr. Aykroyd handled the topic much better than did Mr. Seinfeld. Consider these two news stories:"

http://leftbrainrightbrain.co.uk/2014/1 ... ese-years/

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 7:34 pm

Perhaps the lack of backlash is due to having a history of medical diagnosis. I love both comedians, but Seinfeld's comment seemed to stem from personal musings. I think what may disturb people is that it was presented in the news as solid fact vs a subjective personal opinion.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2014, 12:39 pm

I had no idea he is a diagnosed autistic (and I live in same town.) I guess that's a serious "duh" moment on my part. Good for him for coming out publicly! That's great!
He's very talented - I remember especially enjoying Trading Places (with Eddie Murphy.)

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2014, 6:33 pm

Before AS became a diagnosis, was autism broad enough to include people like him?

I'm not a fan of the idea that you have to follow some strict protocol to avoid ire of the small, extreme subset of parents who made a big deal about it. Age of Autism, and other anti-vaxxer or other extreme doom-and-gloom curbie daddy and mommy bloggers don't have a trademark on the word autism.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 6:02 pm

I like both comedians as well. I followed the acroyd story with great interest at the time (being a HUGE Ghostbusters fan) I remember one aspect of the story that troubled me at the time. He said in the interviews that he was diagnosed in his childhood with both Tourette's and Asperger's. Asperger's did not exist as a diagnosis when he was a child or even a teen.
I believe him when he says he is on the spectrum. I have read his original intentions for Ghostbusters. He wanted to set it in space!! I am a huge fan of his to this day. I think he may have his chronology wrong is all.