i don't think those considered "severely" autistic are ill

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2014, 7:05 pm

do you know anyone considered to be "severely" autistic and don't consider them "diseased" like most people love to think? because i don't believe their ill at all from autism. from their co-morbid conditions most autistics would have, yes, but the autism itself, no.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 4:51 am

I don't considered them diseased because they have a developmental disorder not a disease

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2014, 10:36 pm

I know 3 people, 2 teens and one young adult, who are considered much more severe than my son. Their parents are the doom and gloom type. One of the teens, although the parent is a doom or gloom type, I believe the parent is beginning to wake up and has just spent too much time with the others.

Anyway, these parents constant view is my son/daughter can't do this, can't do that, blah, blah, blah…yet amazingly enough, when I have been allowed to speak with these teens/young adult, they react VERY differently to me than they do to their parents and others around them in the doom and gloom group.

I do NOT consider their major issues truly autism, but rather much more "depression" and possibly even a bit "psychotic" from the craziness that is constantly around them…I would dare say even neglect and abuse.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 1:14 pm

not sure,interesting question

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 3:32 pm

disabled, but not ill

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 2:15 am

PlainsAspie wrote:
disabled, but not ill
good answer

TheWadeSmellbringer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Dec 2014, 5:24 am

I hate that thought process, I am who I am and there's nothing that can change that fact, sorry all of you who want to feel good by portraying us as victims. Actually on second thought I'm not sorry seeing as I hate you already.

My Youtube Channel

My V-Log Channel

[url=thewadesmellbringer.tumblr.com]My Tumblr Blog[/url]

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 10:45 am

TheWadeSmellbringer wrote:
I hate that thought process, I am who I am and there's nothing that can change that fact, sorry all of you who want to feel good by portraying us as victims. Actually on second thought I'm not sorry seeing as I hate you already.

I think you misunderstand what I am saying. I think of autism as a disability, including the mild end, but I believe in the social model, where it's society that disables. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_model_of_disability