Why don't people want to be friends first?

Page 4 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 5:49 pm

Aaendi wrote:
What is a man supposed to do then?

Ask out friends, or ask out strangers?

Very good question, what say you, ladies?

Quote:
Plus, can't a man ask women out on a date without her thinking that he just wants to get into her pants? Could it be that the reason why he isn't forward about wanting sex is maybe because it isn't a priority to him?

Another very good question, why you always assume the worst intentions from a friend asking you out?

KayteeKay
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2015, 7:21 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Aaendi wrote:

Very good question, what say you, ladies?

Quote:
Plus, can't a man ask women out on a date without her thinking that he just wants to get into her pants? Could it be that the reason why he isn't forward about wanting sex is maybe because it isn't a priority to him?

Another very good question, why you always assume the worst intentions from a friend asking you out?

Because I've had pretty much the same friends forever. Literally (since kindy, college or grad school). If I wanted to date them (or vice-versa), the dating happened and ended 10-20 years ago.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 7:26 pm

So what if somebody wants to "get into your pants?"

That's the whole idea, really.

However, if a person finds that "special someone," it is fairly frequent that this person has the patience to wait months or years before any consummation. They look at that person as their friend, as well as their (future) lover. I don't see the problem with that.

It's called being civilized, while still wanting to "get into each others pants."

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 8:18 pm

Um... wow thanks Kraftie. I'm mildly amazed it took five pages for this revelation to surface. Just what the hell happened to being nice and seeing where things go? Don't buy into this divisive terminology and it can't affect you. You can only really know people when you stop compartmentalizing them. We're a family of seven billion & counting.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 8:29 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

However, if a person finds that "special someone," it is fairly frequent that this person has the patience to wait months or years before any consummation. They look at that person as their friend, as well as their (future) lover. I don't see the problem with that.

It's called being civilized, while still wanting to "get into each others pants."

:salut:

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 1:31 am

pj4990 wrote:
This thread is the opposite of my experience. Many successful relationships I know of were friends first. I have never heard of anyone who actively avoided relationships with friends, what actually happens is that if people have been friends for years and not got into a romantic relationship, the reason it didn't develop into one is because one or both weren't interested. When it does after a long friendship it usually because one or both of them was taken. I'm slow to form a lasting opinion on whether someone is attractive, it maxes out at a couple of years but usually within weeks if I know them well. The "friend zone" is a myth made up by men who couldn't accept that it was because they weren't God's gift to women so there had to be some other reason other than being the perfect partner for any woman as to why women weren't sleeping with them.

People often don't want to be friends first because they're not looking for more friends, and those who are generally don't want to do so with an ulterior motive. They'll just be honest with themself that they are looking for potential partners if that's what they want. That's not the same as ruling out ever having a romantic/sexual relationship with a friend.

pretty sure friendzone is just another word for unrequited love. men do use it about love not just wanting sex.

pj4990
Raven
Raven

06 Jan 2015, 4:37 am

I've never heard it as simply a synonym for unrequited love, and it can be used by men who can't understand why women don't love them rather than just won't sleep with them.

Lazar_Kaganovich
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jan 2015, 9:13 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
A huge sweeping generalization but I have seen it too much:

Based on my observation, males are way way way way way more capable to fall in love with friends.
Females are way way way way way less likely to do so, females judge males' attractiveness value within the first encounter.

Actually, this is mainly true for young-er males. Males who are in their mid 20s and beyond often decide right upon meeting someone whether or not they're attracted to them. Females also tend to follow the same pattern. Sometimes, foolish young males might think that being friends first with a female they're attracted to right from the get go is a way to get into her pants(or even her heart) but this really doesn't work. People can't be friends first because sexual tension.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 9:38 pm

my husband was my best friend before we became sexually involved. we didn't jump into anything, exploring each others' sexual history and need for testing before we were intimate. physically, he's different from most guys i dated, but once he expressed interest, it sparked passion. i think friendship is the best basis for a loving relationship.

i have several guy friends. none of them would seriously consider having sex with a married woman who is not their wife. hormones are not destiny.

KayteeKay
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jan 2015, 11:12 pm

pj4990 wrote:
I've never heard it as simply a synonym for unrequited love, and it can be used by men who can't understand why women don't love them rather than just won't sleep with them.

The "friendzone" concept comes from the vile Pick Up Artist subculture... it may as well be a euphemism for "I'm a guy who feels entitled to sex with any girl I fancy and how dare she not fancy me!".

Lazar_Kaganovich
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jan 2015, 11:49 pm

KayteeKay wrote:
pj4990 wrote:

The "friendzone" concept comes from the vile Pick Up Artist subculture... it may as well be a euphemism for "I'm a guy who feels entitled to sex with any girl I fancy and how dare she not fancy me!".

Erm, women can and DO get friendzoned. By men and other women(if they're lesbians). Gay men also friendzone each other too. "friendzone" is not gender specific. It simply means romantic rejection from a person you already have a platonic relationship with.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2015, 9:43 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Yes. My boyfriend was willing to wait for the moment I was ready for sex. He totally didn't mind that I wanted to be in an exclusive, commited relationship before we had sex.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2015, 12:06 pm

KayteeKay wrote:
pj4990 wrote:

I think it often happens to be that way, but personally I don't view it as such. For me, the friendzone isn't this evil relational limbo some try to make it. I view it as rich ground to be mined for companionship.

What disturbs me about how we seem to view human relations is how we overvalue romantic and sexual relationships. If you just want to be in a relationship, the "friendzone" if it exists is, well, your friend. It can only help you. If you have a friendship with someone, especially someone of the opposite sex, you already frickin' have a relationship. Maybe not the relationship you think you want or are conditioned to want, but it's a relationship. USE THAT and be happy.

If a woman I was interested in said she just wanted to be friends, I'd be like, "Cool! So if we're friends, you wouldn't mind hanging out with me at [place]? I'm thinking about heading out around [time] if you want to meet me there."

If what she really means by "friends" is I creep her out and she's not really interested in seeing me, that's going to come out in the wash. I'm not afraid, threatened, or offended by that. I'll extend the opportunity a time or two after that, and if I still can't get a date with her, I take the hint and move on. She's got my number. She'll text/call if she wants to. Or she knows where I hang out. If she changes her mind, it's a free country.

Somewhere between men pressuring women to have sex and women expecting to be pressured, dating has been completely wrecked in our culture. When I ask a girl out, you know what I want? To hang out with her for an hour and a half and let her talk about herself. That's all. You wanna be friends? Great! Let's be friends. What do friends do? They get together for coffee/beer/bowling/skating/movies/pizza. They talk. They listen to each other. If you just want to be with someone, why does it HAVE to be romantic or sexual? My goal isn't to get laid. It's just to avoid being alone all weekend.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2015, 5:09 pm

AngelRho wrote:
What disturbs me about how we seem to view human relations is how we overvalue romantic and sexual relationships. If you just want to be in a relationship, the "friendzone" if it exists is, well, your friend. It can only help you. If you have a friendship with someone, especially someone of the opposite sex, you already frickin' have a relationship. Maybe not the relationship you think you want or are conditioned to want, but it's a relationship. USE THAT and be happy.

If a woman I was interested in said she just wanted to be friends, I'd be like, "Cool! So if we're friends, you wouldn't mind hanging out with me at [place]? I'm thinking about heading out around [time] if you want to meet me there."

To be honest, I don't think friendship is anything that comes natural to me. I really have no need for friends at all, which probably is why I cannot even imagine why I would want to be friends with a girl I'm attracted to. And sexual relationships are just as alien to me as well. The only thing that comes natural to me is to form attachments with girls I like.

Lazar_Kaganovich
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jan 2015, 5:54 pm

Aaendi wrote:

Ask out strangers, NOT friends. If you are friends with someone of the opposite sex whom you're attracted to, most of the time they will pick up on it and act accordingly: If they like you back they're let you know and if they don't they will likely feel uncomfortable and discontinue the friendship(not always, but don't be surprised when this happens). Asking them out without any indication from them that they're attracted to you comes across as creepy and desperate because you're violating boundaries. Hope that helps.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2015, 6:00 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I think that it becomes a gripe when you are looking for a serious relationship and the other party only wants a one night stand. Or if you get the impression that they don't really see you for who you are and fancy you only on a physical level and have put you on a pedestal.