Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 12:43 am

Persimmonpudding wrote:
Anyway, I may be risking derailing the topic on that, but that is an example of how you can really use Poe's Law. Usually, people who think they are the "Caped Crusader" will believe whatever story fits into their fantasy dream-world.

I don't think that's really Poe's Law, that's more like people assuming the worst about people they disagree with, to the point that they don't recognize absurdity when it's staring them in the face.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Dec 2014, 7:17 pm

The first comment here - the Lib Dem's Christmas message

Quote:
Keep going Nick - you are one of the few honest politicians there are - take no notice of the bashers - just keep being who you are and your integrity will shine through. Better you in power than pure bullshitters who know they have no intention of carrying out their election promises.

Of course, the Lib Dems have been widely derided (vote share collapsed from about 25% to about 8%?) for going into a coalition government which necessarily involved compromising on some policies, most notably reducing tuition fee repayments rather than scrapping them.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 1:34 am

I shouted down an abortion debate

Quote:
The idea that in a free society absolutely everything should be open to debate has a detrimental effect on marginalised groups. Debating abortion as if its a topic to be mulled over and hypothesised on ignores the fact that this is not an abstract, academic issue. It may seem harmless for men like Stanley and O'Neil to debate how and if abortion hurts them; it’s clearly harder for people to see that their words and views might hurt women.

Access to abortion impacts the lives of women, trans and non-binary people every day, and the threat pro-life groups pose to our bodily autonomy is real, not rhetorical. If you don’t believe me, visit any abortion clinic and witness the sustained aggressions of pro-life pickets.

In organizing against this event, I did not stifle free speech. As a student, I asserted that it would make me feel threatened in my own university; as a woman, I objected to men telling me what I should be allowed to do with my own body.

I don't think this woman understand freedom of speech...

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 1:51 am

C-Plus-Equality

Quote:
C+=

C+= (pronounced either C-plus-Equality, or See Equality) is a feminist programming language, created to smash the toxic Patriarchy that is inherent in and that permeates all current computer programming languages.

Note: This is a programming language written by and for FEMINISTS, not WOMEN. LEARN THE DIFFERENCE!

Obvious satire. Or is it? :lol:

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 Dec 2014, 8:18 pm

I usually love Everyday Feminism, they succeed in challenging my assumptions whilst also rarely straying over into gobbledegook (and even run articles on how feminist gobbledegook is discriminatory against those who can't understand it for whatever reason). I was pretty pleased to see them running a piece on speciesism, though I was annoyed that they tried to claim that all discrimination is a feminist issue. Then the article itself, oh dear...

It's still quite an interesting article, but I was tempted to call Poe when reading about "rape" on farms.