Autism Speaks #MSSNG campaign. Google involved - Thoughts?

Page 9 of 9 [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 4:50 am

Those examples make sense to me and so does what you are saying about norms varying within groups.
I guess I just hope that things like stimming and lack of appropriate eye contact become more generally known of and hence not as off-putting.
My employment counsellor is sending me for CBT. Again! :o The last time I had to go to the bus terminal and ask people about the schedule. I could write a book on CBT, but I must be a good little participant so I can get my little job. And I must use my learned social skills. Its so humiliating. My worker was only recently a child, but she is so self-assured it amazes me. And irks me - she was in diapers when I was working part-time and finishing my degree and now she's telling me to go for CBT. Sometimes I think maybe they might be right. Maybe I am #MSSNG something.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 1:01 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Maybe I am #MSSNG something.

Probiotics, quite possibly.

I've managed to treat and control my symptoms via diet/herbs & probiotics. When I took a strong course of antibiotics in October I had a relapse in symptoms that messed with my life and work, but once it was pointed out to me that symptoms were creeping back up on me (I hadn't noticed, I guess that's one of the ASD traits.. not being self aware of ASD symptoms as they happen) I loaded up on probiotics like crazy and am now back to my new normal. As I've said on the forums, I'm living a second life for having done this.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 1:26 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
androbot01 wrote:

I've managed to treat and control my symptoms via diet/herbs & probiotics. When I took a strong course of antibiotics in October I had a relapse in symptoms that messed with my life and work, but once it was pointed out to me that symptoms were creeping back up on me (I hadn't noticed, I guess that's one of the ASD traits.. not being self aware of ASD symptoms as they happen) I loaded up on probiotics like crazy and am now back to my new normal. As I've said on the forums, I'm living a second life for having done this.

My digestion has caused me much grief since I can remember. I was diagnosed with IBS back in the ‘90s. I'm lactose intolerant and am pretty sure gluten messes with me. I will keep an eye out for pro biotic products. But my problem is that the cost of eating is so much. I've gone to the food bank the last couple of months and man do they load you up with pasta. And I'm not complaining as being hungry is no good, but it's really playing havoc with me.

But yeah, food has a huge impact. Those red candy coated chocolates, they make me hyper like a child. Lol

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 1:31 pm

androbot01 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
androbot01 wrote:

My digestion has caused me much grief since I can remember. I was diagnosed with IBS back in the ‘90s. I'm lactose intolerant and am pretty sure gluten messes with me. I will keep an eye out for pro biotic products. But my problem is that the cost of eating is so much. I've gone to the food bank the last couple of months and man do they load you up with pasta. And I'm not complaining as being hungry is no good, but it's really playing havoc with me.

But yeah, food has a huge impact. Those red candy coated chocolates, they make me hyper like a child. Lol

Skipping right to probiotics may help some, but it won't likely do you much good until you've gone on a restricted medicinal diet for a while and cleared out your digestive tract of bad bacteria/fungus etc first. Otherwise they'll just be being sent to their death vs. being able to hang around and do what good they do.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 2:21 pm

Food for thought ... :D

I find I do best when I have access to fresh meat. I hate the conditions of the farm industry, but if I could eat barbequed steak everyday, I would.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 12:34 am

I'm going to go email Yaniv Erlich and see if he has any thoughts on the ethics of this.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

EKB
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Feb 2015, 12:44 pm

As an adult with high-functioning Autism and former special education teacher/ therapist, I agree that this research project is misguided. All current medical research is based on separating disease/ disorders and spending a lot and money in these pursuits. I have done a lot of my own research as a lay person to try and
find common underlying processes in auto immune disorders and neurological diseases.

All diseases exist on a spectrum and many share causes and symptoms. Diseases do not exist in a vacuum. Environmental factors play heavily in the process. Rachel Carson observed the interdependence of all things in nature. In her book Silent Spring, she all but predicts the Autism and Auto immune epidemic in the United States. She describes how the neurotoxic chemicals in many pesticides ( including the now banned DDT) remain in the fatty tissues of the animals and humans that consume treated products. Genetic mutations have been occurring as a result of the many environmental agents we are exposed to: air, water, soil and vaccines. Any research that is occurring should focus on environmental impact on genetics.

We cannot expect universal research of this sort as the American medical system refuses to focus on prevention
and cure. We see and experience the symptoms of illness in ourselves and our family members. It is the cost of living in an industrialized society. Our current healthcare system that is more concerned with profiting from disease classification and treatment than holistic research and prevention.

Whatever the results of this genetic research initiative, I encourage families to do their own research and find ways to minimize the environmental agents that may be aggravating symptoms. Autism is a life-long experience, but many will find great resources and support by trusting instinct and using common sense.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2015, 6:42 pm

Still promoting this offensive idea

https://www.autismspeaks.org/news/news-item/10000-unique-dna-posters-unveiled-mssng%E2%80%99s-new-online-store

Show them we are right here. Links to Google Plus, Facebook etc Google Plus etc on page

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman