Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPickle
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Dec 2014, 7:29 pm

Hey everyone.

I've been lurking for a while and have really learned quite a bit from you over the past year-plus of reading. I figure now is a good time to start contributing to the community that has helped me understand myself better than anything else I've found thus far.

My ASD origin story is one that probably feels familiar to many of you. I've always felt different than the majority of people out there, but never had a concrete reason behind it until very recently. About two years ago, a friend made an offhand comment that he thought I was on the spectrum. I didn't have a clue what exactly he meant at the time and brushed it off until a few months later, when a high-stress situation (my pending divorce) pushed my system beyond its limits and really brought my issues to a level where they started significantly impacting my day-to-day life.

At that point, I started looking for answers and eventually stumbled upon a few Aspie blogs that kept resonating with my experience. After letting the details marinate for a bit, I reluctantly self-diagnosed as Aspergers. I received what I consider to be a "semi-pro" diagnosis on my 33rd birthday, during a marriage counseling session with a Masters-level clinician.

That "semi-pro" diagnosis lasted until September of this year, when my current psychologist -- who has 30+ years of experience working with ASD clients -- told me at our weekly session, "You're on it [the spectrum]." We haven't yet pursued the official diagnosis and testing process (due to the expense involved, of course), so I consider myself professionally diagnosed but not officially diagnosed... if that makes sense to anyone else.

I outed myself as ASD to my parents a year ago, when I was only semi-pro. After reflection on my childhood and my experience with my parents, I've come to suspect my mother is an undiagnosed Aspie, as well. She's taking it into consideration but not actively pursuing it. An uncle I've never met or talked with (her brother), however, was officially diagnosed as Aspergers recently without knowledge of my diagnosis. So the joke we have now is that that's the ASD side of the family.

To take it even further, I outed myself to everyone in March of this year when the local alt-newspaper ran an article about my Pac-Man abilities [http://www.westword.com/2014-03-06/news/jeff-pickles-pac-man-perfect-score/full]. Vintage arcade gaming is a special interest for me. As such, I've played enough Pac-Man to become one of the best players in the world... only the 8th person ever to play a perfect game. I feel without my ASD none of that would have ever happened. And now that I'm out there and everyone knows I'm ASD... it feels great and somewhat terrifying at the same time.

So that's it, really. For now, at least.

I'm here. I'm a 34-year old Autistic man, finally among his tribe. And into the void, I say, "Hello, Wrong Planet!"

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2014, 7:43 pm

I forgot the name of the movie which I think you'd be interested in--but it was about a guy who was the best in the world at Donkey Kong.

Welcome to the Forum!

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2014, 9:55 pm

Hey ASPickle welcome. :sunny:

ziggyramone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Dec 2014, 10:07 am

Welcome!

Andrew Eldritch

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005241765169

ASPickle
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Dec 2014, 11:46 am

Thanks, everyone!

kraftiekortie wrote:
I forgot the name of the movie which I think you'd be interested in--but it was about a guy who was the best in the world at Donkey Kong.

Welcome to the Forum!

"King of Kong." That's a pretty good movie. I met the major players from that movie when my local barcade hosted The Kong Off 3 last year. In fact, I still have a saved voicemail from Walter Day and Billy Mitchell congratulating me on the perfect game.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 6:05 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!