Is hating authority a sign of Asperger's?

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Ryan358
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Dec 2014, 8:39 pm

I just saw a video on youtube of a cop harassing a musician on the streets, and in the end the musician was arrested (he wasn't doing anything wrong!). This made me so angry that I lost control and got so angry and started punching everything I could. This was about 30 minutes ago and I'm still shaking like crazy.

I need to know if this is a sign of autism/asperger's. My parents think I have asperger's, and I don't think so (although I'm scare that I might), and when I told this story to my mom she had like a weird look on her face and I'm worried that this might have "proved" to her that I'm autistic. Is it at all a sign?

Thanks, and sorry for the rant

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 8:48 pm

I believe Aspies are said to frequently have problems with authority figures, but it's not diagnostic. Maybe your mother was simply alarmed that you had been so angry you were punching everything.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 8:52 pm

Many Aspies are skeptical of authority; it does not mean that they "hate" authority.

Please refer to this truism: If you've met one Spectrumite, you've met one Spectrumite.

"Hating" or "being skeptical" of authority is definitely NOT a prerequisite to be diagnosed with Asperger's/ASD.

Many people, "normal" or not, are "skeptical of", or even "hate" authority,

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Dec 2014, 8:54 pm

Your behavior might be a meltdown which can be a sign of Aspergers but simply hating authority is NOT a sign of Aspergers

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 8:55 pm

I think any rational person should have a big problem with abuse of authority which is what it sounds like you observed in that video. That kind of thing pisses me off a lot to, but I don't think it's necessarily because I have autism I think a lot without autism would also be pissed and upset by that to. Trouble is so many people turning a blind eye to that kind of thing....but yeah being angered by that or challenging 'authority' are not 'symptoms' of autism but I think perhaps being on the spectrum and ending up stuck in the role of observer which happens due to lessor social interaction perhaps spectrum people are more likely to spend more time observing and thinking about such things.

I think I might be in trouble if I saw the cops harrasing a street musician downtown where I live....I would have a hard time calmly filming a video to go put up on youtube because it would really anger me, but I would do my best as that would do more good than getting myself arrested to for interfering or being disruptive due to being pissed.

Ryan358
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Dec 2014, 9:01 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Many Aspies are skeptical of authority; it does not mean that they "hate" authority.

Please refer to this truism: If you've met one Spectrumite, you've met one Spectrumite.

"Hating" or "being skeptical" of authority is definitely NOT a prerequisite to be diagnosed with Asperger's/ASD.

Many people, "normal" or not, are "skeptical of", or even "hate" authority,

Yes, but I get angered to an extreme degree... if I was I would have tried to beat that guy up. Just picturing him covered in blood makes me feel good.

eleventhirtytwo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Dec 2014, 9:07 pm

Being angry at injustice doesn't make you Autistic, it makes you human.

22, entrepreneurial and diagnosed with High Functioning Autism, ADHD, OCD and Tourettes. Also have problems with Anxiety, and more recently depression, although I seem to returning to my optimistic self =)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 9:10 pm

Being angry at abuse of authority is not a sign of Asperger's.

It might be a sign of idealism.

I really don't know--if I could see you in person, I would have a better idea.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 9:37 pm

I am in the process of getting a diagnosis, but regardless, whenever I have seen a video like that I have become similarly angry. I don't like the abuse of power.
Do I hate authority? No, not really. But I've never trusted people with authority over me.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

Persimmonpudding
Toucan
Toucan

12 Dec 2014, 9:41 pm

At this point, just about anything you do and anything you think has a disorder that describes everything about it. I'm not kidding. It is not an exaggeration.

A little bit geeky? Ah, like those Aspies! But wait, most people are geeky, to some degree. Those with AS just have so much trouble with it that they are at "sixes and sevens" to understand what all you crazy folks are yapping about, with your fancy social chatter!

You got angry over something? Ah, yes! Anger management disorders *nods sagely* very debilitating. But...it's only a "disorder" really if it seems to control every aspect of your life and you can't get normal activities done or hold down a job because of anger showing up at the wrong times.

As for YOU, my young friend...there is something called "oppositional defiant disorder." Yes, this is very serious. You get very upset about people in putative positions of authority imposing their will on you, and it seems almost like your moral duty to oppose the self-righteous jerks. But...wait, is this just normal rebelliousness, which is admirable, or are you getting yourself constantly in trouble for no good reason and undermining other people's attempts to live and work in a way that keeps authority from being necessary?

In the psychological community, something is basically considered an "illness" if it fills out two out of three of the following:

Deviancy: this means that society is unlikely to be equipped to manage it. Someone's feeling a little blue? Blue like everyone does sometimes? Feeling a little down because he's had a bad day? If it's in the normal ranges and due to an identifiable cause, your friend can give you a pat on the back, do something to cheer you up, and make it better. On the other hand, some people have really abnormal levels of unhappiness and emptiness that society is not equipped for dealing with, and that can be a problem. Nevertheless, some deviant behaviors, such as homosexuality, may not be the "norm," but if they're not really bothering anybody and not really a danger to anybody, then there is just no purpose in trying to treat it like some kind of illness.

Danger: if you are a danger to yourself and others in a normal way and in a way that doesn't really bother anybody too much, then you need a dose of good common sense. Let's say you're weaving through traffic and cutting the fool. Maybe only a few people have really reacted to it, but it's still dangerous. Fortunately, it's such a common behavior that the traffic cop just has to pull you over and write you a ticket, explaining that you might have committed several misdemeanors--or possibly even a felony--and tell how he's doing you a favor letting you off, and maybe you learn your lesson. It's a normal, although stupid, behavior, and society can handle it through normal means.

Disturbing: And maybe you are doing something disturbing like deciding one day you're going to get high on marijuana and run through the streets naked. Does it hurt anybody? No. Is it seriously abnormal? Maybe a little, but streakers are hardly unknown in the world. Does it annoy a lot of people? Well, yeah. In most cases, society has ways of dealing with people who do things that are disturbing in the "normal" ways. We have a system of rules for dealing with those things.

When you fill out two of these to a significant degree (or one of them to an unusual or disturbing degree), then you might have a disorder of some kind.

Therefore, if you really tend to protest a lot against authority and are getting yourself into a lot of trouble or even endangering yourself, potentially, then you need to consider seeing a clinical psychologist. On the other hand, being a little bit anti-authoritarian only shows you have the beginnings of a moral backbone. It certainly doesn't show you have any kind of an illness.

On still the other hand (I have many), you have to take into account all of your issues, and if you think you can trace things that ultimately add up to filling out all of those criteria and think you can trace them to a common cause, that is really what a complex disorder like Aspergers is all about. A lot of times, if you take any little facet of it by itself, it seems harmless, but when you put them all together, you have someone who stays unemployed and can't really function very well.

You really have to use a lot of your own judgment on these things.

Last edited by Persimmonpudding on 12 Dec 2014, 9:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 9:45 pm

Sounds like a failure to regulate emotions, which can be caused by experience, or a disorder such as ADHD or autism.

Kraftie has it in the bag.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 9:54 pm

Persimmonpudding wrote:
Deviancy: this means that society is unlikely to be equipped to manage it. Someone's feeling a little blue? Blue like everyone does sometimes? Feeling a little down because he's had a bad day? If it's in the normal ranges and due to an identifiable cause, your friend can give you a pat on the back, do something to cheer you up, and make it better. On the other hand, some people have really abnormal levels of unhappiness and emptiness that society is not equipped for dealing with, and that can be a problem. Nevertheless, some deviant behaviors, such as homosexuality, may not be the "norm," but if they're not really bothering anybody and not really a danger to anybody, then there is just no purpose in trying to treat it like some kind of illness.

Yep, but only a few decades ago being gay would be treated like a mental illness, because technically it was one... now we don't consider them ill (a very nice improvement.)
This deviancy criteria changes with culture and can change quickly.
Funny video that relates to this - LINK

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Dec 2014, 10:04 pm

Tony Attwood's book The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome says that people with AS tend to disobey or loudly denounce rules or laws that they think are illogical (I'm paraphrasing what I read). So... yeah. But I wouldn't base suspicions on one match up. Look up AS traits and see if a bunch match up with you. If they do then you should seek a psychiatric evaluation.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 10:09 pm

Norny wrote:
Sounds like a failure to regulate emotions, which can be caused by experience, or a disorder such as ADHD or autism.

I am not so sure I see this example that way....seems like justified anger to me, who wouldn't get pissed seeing something like that?

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 10:37 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Norny wrote:

I am not so sure I see this example that way....seems like justified anger to me, who wouldn't get pissed seeing something like that?

The anger is natural but the punching is the expression of unregulated anger. My dad has problems with emotional regulation and when he accidentally hurts himself, he doesn't just get angry most of the time, he does things like throw his shoes at the wall.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 2:24 am

I've heard some people with AS/autism have problems with authority but it's not something I understand myself. I have AS and I've always had a lot of respect for authorities. I've always followed rules, I like rules and I still respect authorities.