Is hating authority a sign of Asperger's?

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 2:24 am

I've heard some people with AS/autism have problems with authority but it's not something I understand myself. I have AS and I've always had a lot of respect for authorities. I've always followed rules, I like rules and I still respect authorities.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 2:34 am

Norny wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Norny wrote:
Sounds like a failure to regulate emotions, which can be caused by experience, or a disorder such as ADHD or autism.

Kraftie has it in the bag.

I am not so sure I see this example that way....seems like justified anger to me, who wouldn't get pissed seeing something like that?

The anger is natural but the punching is the expression of unregulated anger. My dad has problems with emotional regulation and when he accidentally hurts himself, he doesn't just get angry most of the time, he does things like throw his shoes at the wall.

I'd punch and maybe break things if I saw that, but I do not see that as wrong...injustice like that is likely to cause more anger then a general social f*** up for instance. Not saying everyone should just punch s**t and cause chaos when upset but sometimes something needs to be expressed and people cannot not be expected to always 'hold back'. But yeah in my city sometimes jerks get on the bus trying to cause crap and get thrown off, I mean people are cool with various opinions but sometimes people get really pushy and say screwed up things. like there have been a couple occasions where the bus driver had to kick people off for harrasing other passengers. Some people get all pissy at the driver but when crap like that comes up they can only do the best they can. And most of the problems with this transport system are with the private 'RTD' company they should really make the fare a dollar for everyone.....theyd make tons more money that way. I mean the way it is set up is totally f***d up, half the time people just walk cause the bus costs too much...they call it public transport too which is ridiculous if it was 'public' transport it would be funded by taxes and free for everyone.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 2:48 am

a lot of folks have good reason to be suspicious of authority, at least as it is presently practiced here in america.

Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 4:54 am

If it were, I think 50% of the population or more could receive an autism diagnosis, because hating authority is universal to humanity.

Either way, I'm okay with authority, honestly.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 5:01 am

886 wrote:
If it were, I think 50% of the population or more could receive an autism diagnosis, because hating authority is universal to humanity. Either way, I'm okay with authority, honestly.

have you ever been in a position of authority?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 8:58 am

rebbieh wrote:
I've heard some people with AS/autism have problems with authority but it's not something I understand myself. I have AS and I've always had a lot of respect for authorities. I've always followed rules, I like rules and I still respect authorities.

I was surprised when my test results from Political Compass indicated that I'm relatively authoritarian, because I'm very quick to criticise authority. Maybe authority and rules are rather different things? I like rules. When the rules seem fair and the authority is applying those rules diligently, I approve. When the rules are unjust, or the authority is deviating from its proper job, it feels like it's my duty to resist. My experience is that the law is a mixture of just and unjust rules, and that authorities are usually somewhat corrupt. I absolutely hate this sentiment of "we should do it because it's the law, right or wrong." The main problem with my view is, who am I to judge the fairness of every rule? My only answer so far is, my judgement is fallible but so is the judgement of the lawmaker and the authority figure.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 9:22 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
rebbieh wrote:

I was surprised when my test results from Political Compass indicated that I'm relatively authoritarian, because I'm very quick to criticise authority. Maybe authority and rules are rather different things? I like rules. When the rules seem fair and the authority is applying those rules diligently, I approve. When the rules are unjust, or the authority is deviating from its proper job, it feels like it's my duty to resist. My experience is that the law is a mixture of just and unjust rules, and that authorities are usually somewhat corrupt. I absolutely hate this sentiment of "we should do it because it's the law, right or wrong." The main problem with my view is, who am I to judge the fairness of every rule? My only answer so far is, my judgement is fallible but so is the judgement of the lawmaker and the authority figure.

Yeah, you're right. Rules and authorities aren't the same thing. I simply think of one when I think of the other. I think you should question authorities and not just adhering to rules and obey authorities because they're rules and authorities. That's not always good. However, I don't understand people who are against authorities or are "dead set" on hating them (not saying anyone in this thread is like that). I don't understand that. Do you know what I mean?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 11:06 am

rebbieh wrote:
I don't understand people who are against authorities or are "dead set" on hating them (not saying anyone in this thread is like that). I don't understand that. Do you know what I mean?

Oh yes. Breaking rules and kicking authorities for the sake of it is really silly. And it's tyrannical for a person to cherry-pick and only obey the rules that benefit them personally the most. A lot of the arguments against this or that rule are pretty disingenuous, thinly-disguised rationalisations and distortions for the person's own selfish agenda.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 11:13 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Norny wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Norny wrote:
Sounds like a failure to regulate emotions, which can be caused by experience, or a disorder such as ADHD or autism.

Kraftie has it in the bag.

I am not so sure I see this example that way....seems like justified anger to me, who wouldn't get pissed seeing something like that?

The anger is natural but the punching is the expression of unregulated anger. My dad has problems with emotional regulation and when he accidentally hurts himself, he doesn't just get angry most of the time, he does things like throw his shoes at the wall.

I'd punch and maybe break things if I saw that, but I do not see that as wrong...injustice like that is likely to cause more anger then a general social f*** up for instance. Not saying everyone should just punch s**t and cause chaos when upset but sometimes something needs to be expressed and people cannot not be expected to always 'hold back'. But yeah in my city sometimes jerks get on the bus trying to cause crap and get thrown off, I mean people are cool with various opinions but sometimes people get really pushy and say screwed up things. like there have been a couple occasions where the bus driver had to kick people off for harrasing other passengers. Some people get all pissy at the driver but when crap like that comes up they can only do the best they can. And most of the problems with this transport system are with the private 'RTD' company they should really make the fare a dollar for everyone.....theyd make tons more money that way. I mean the way it is set up is totally f***d up, half the time people just walk cause the bus costs too much...they call it public transport too which is ridiculous if it was 'public' transport it would be funded by taxes and free for everyone.

The emotions I display are a very filtered version of myself. I have problems with emotional regulation, and I think I may have adopted a quieter persona (wait to speak) because of that. I can be an abomination if I don't take a minute to regulate my emotions, just like my dad.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 11:22 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Oh yes. Breaking rules and kicking authorities for the sake of it is really silly. And it's tyrannical for a person to cherry-pick and only obey the rules that benefit them personally the most. A lot of the arguments against this or that rule are pretty disingenuous, thinly-disguised rationalisations and distortions for the person's own selfish agenda.

I concur.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 12:01 pm

If hating and rebelling against authority was a sign of AS, then most teens would fit AS diagnosis.
We would also be able to diagnose nearly the whole U.S. Baby Boomer generation as well with AS.

How people respond to authority is dependent on personality and how authority treats them.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 12:06 pm

rebbieh wrote:

What if the rule makes no sense and causes more harm than it helps? then would you follow it just cause you like rules?

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 12:11 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
rebbieh wrote:

What if the rule makes no sense and causes more harm than it helps? then would you follow it just cause you like rules?

Nope. Fortunately I think most (not all) rules in my life make sense though.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 12:31 pm

IMO aspies don't "hate" anybody. They mostly see everyone as equals and don't particularly respect authority just because they're authority. We don't naturally feel the social "pecking order" and realize where we fit in. This could be a good thing as long as you keep your head cool, and do practical things. It's not limited to Aspies. There are plenty of NT people who don't respect authority, they're just better at pretending they do.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 12:42 pm

I think lot of rules make sense, it keeps things in order and avoids chaos and it makes thing easier for everyone and it avoids people from getting hurt and it makes it a safe environment for everyone.

I don't let my kids touch any of my stuff and the reason for it is because when I had in the past, my things would go missing or it got ruined so it's easier if I just don't let them touch any of my stuff. Now I know why parents go "mine mine mine" with their kids.

Also anyone would get upset about what the OP described but the difference is they can control their emotions by not punching things. I would hope it was the OP's own stuff he was punching than other peoples and he didn't break anything because that would be terrible but if it was his own stuff he broke, I couldn't careless.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 5:13 am

auntblabby wrote:
886 wrote:
If it were, I think 50% of the population or more could receive an autism diagnosis, because hating authority is universal to humanity. Either way, I'm okay with authority, honestly.

have you ever been in a position of authority?

Nothing serious. I think it's easy for me to trivialize it because the authority figures in my life don't typically abuse their authority and I get along with them quite well.