Is hating authority a sign of Asperger's?

Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 5:13 am

auntblabby wrote:
886 wrote:
If it were, I think 50% of the population or more could receive an autism diagnosis, because hating authority is universal to humanity. Either way, I'm okay with authority, honestly.

have you ever been in a position of authority?

Nothing serious. I think it's easy for me to trivialize it because the authority figures in my life don't typically abuse their authority and I get along with them quite well.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 5:25 am

886 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
886 wrote:
If it were, I think 50% of the population or more could receive an autism diagnosis, because hating authority is universal to humanity. Either way, I'm okay with authority, honestly.

Nothing serious. I think it's easy for me to trivialize it because the authority figures in my life don't typically abuse their authority and I get along with them quite well.

you are a fortunate person indeed.

Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 5:39 am

auntblabby wrote:
886 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
886 wrote:

you are a fortunate person indeed.

We have a manager in our facility who's known to write people up just because he gets off by making people feel inferior, so, I do get it. We had a guy get suspended 3 days for very trivial paperwork errors that could easily be corrected with no consequence (we're truck drivers, mind you, we give zero f***s about paperwork) despite having a 40 year safety record.

SweetTooth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Dec 2014, 5:49 am

As has often been said: Authority should be earned, not imposed.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 5:51 am

it has been my experience that 90% of bosses [that I've experienced] give the other 10% a bad rep.

SweetTooth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Dec 2014, 5:52 am

auntblabby wrote:
it has been my experience that 90% of bosses [that I've experienced] give the other 10% a bad rep.

Funny, well put.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 5:55 am

SweetTooth wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Funny, well put.

same for authority figures in general including cops.

Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 5:57 am

auntblabby wrote:

i have had the displeasure of working with some people who fall into management because they enjoy bossing people around. most people just fall into the position, though, and really only take charge when absolutely necessary. the ones who get the job because they enjoy bossing people around and feeling superior.. they're dangerous people.

Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 5:57 am

auntblabby wrote:

i have had the displeasure of working with some people who fall into management because they enjoy bossing people around. most people just fall into the position, though, and really only take charge when absolutely necessary. the ones who get the job because they enjoy bossing people around and feeling superior.. they're dangerous people.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 10:39 am

auntblabby wrote:

Similar observations here. I've seen a lot of petty corrupt behaviour from them, but even the ones who had no obvious personal bad in them were still in some way a threat. In a free market system, even the best boss in the world is still under pressure to drive costs down and production up. As we have so many unemployed job seekers, the labour market is a buyer's market, which ultimately means that the employee can't bargain as an equal, and has to yield to a certain exploitation rate. Of course you could still have a nice boss, but when the chips are down, their loyalty is for the company, not for you, and they will have to implement painful policies. All you can hope for is a "sorry it had to be you" attitude from them. I don't think it's possible to be a really good boss and survive in a free market.

I've seen (relatively) good bosses at the local level. Much of the political machinations and high-handed edicts came from higher powers who I never met. Even my best boss, who was very courteous and calm, put me in a pretty uncomfortable situation. I was used to working set hours, and wanted very much to keep it that way, but the powers that be were tinkering with our contracts in a complicated way I don't understand, so the right to a limit on the length of the working day was becoming rather cloudy. I found myself being expected to complete a process that wasn't taking the whole working day to do, at first. So far, fine. But the number of units to be processed grew too much, so I found I was being tacitly expected to waive my right to go home at the usual set time.

I racked my brains to develop quicker ways of getting the work done, and that was helpful, but overall it was pretty nerve-wracking. It might have been easier to just give in and work later occasionally, but that would have felt too much like surrendering to a bait-and-switch trick. One late afternoon I realised I wasn't going to get it all done, so I went and told my boss that I'd run out of time. He looked very uncomfortable for a moment, and then said OK, he'd complete it himself. Phew! Later I asked if we could just limit the job to a reasonable maximum number of units to process per day, but he shied away from that idea. Then one day while trying to process an oversize workload, there were a few distractions and I was shaking so much that I couldn't work. Luckily the boss was there at the time, so I showed him my shaking hands and he took the job over and told me to go rest and come back when I felt OK again. He knew of my diagnosis, but I think he'd have done that for anybody.

I'd been in a very similar political situation before, management trying to unofficially abolish proper rest breaks and working hours by devolving the responsibility to get the job done onto the individual and then increasing the workload. But the people who did that were much more aggressive about it. Luckily they were also more inept and ultimately fairly toothless, so I was able to fight back and hang onto my lunch breaks, even without a diagnosis to hit them with. But to do that, I had to disobey my supervisor and walk out. This was pre-diagnosis, but after that incident they didn't bother me about lunch breaks again. Best guess, they weren't sure of their power to enforce the new conditions they wanted. The trauma of those days (there were other fights too) must have had an effect on my stress levels when I found the good boss was doing the same kind of thing to me. All that fuss about a little bit of overtime!

MisterJosephK
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Dec 2014, 11:26 am

Well, to answer the question: depends.

There is a very real disorder called Oppositional Defiant Disorder. There's questioning authority, and then there's questioning authority. There's a difference. It's like how some people will say they're in a depressed state whenever they have "the blues" and might feel bad about a negative that's happened in their lives, and then there are people who will say they're in a depressed state, for whom depression means they will go to bed and not get out of it for three months. Both are issues, yes; but both are two vastly different scales of it.

The answer to the question really depends on the person.

Lobber
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Dec 2014, 3:30 pm

Link to video in question?

(")(")
Cuddly Bunny

ICollectWatches
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Dec 2014, 3:43 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Being angry at abuse of authority is not a sign of Asperger's.

It might be a sign of idealism.

It's anecdotal, but I see idealism getting in the way of success for a lot of people on the spectrum. Things either fit our model of what is right and correct, or they are totally without merit. Distrust of authority and dislike for the establishment are manifestations of idealism. Without moderation, or at least without the ability to keep from vocalizing them, these things can make us seem eccentric, or even hostile. Most people can see where things go wrong, and fault *those* things, while we seem to have trouble being selective in our disdain.

ICollectWatches

14 Dec 2014, 3:54 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
I was surprised when my test results from Political Compass indicated that...

The political compass isn't a test. It's a political tool to make you think you are more liberal than you are. It was a precursor to all the click-bait fake tests that now inhabit social media, flattering people into feeling good about themselves, and sharing the "tests".

Lobber
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Dec 2014, 3:58 pm

Asperger's? no.
Bi Polar Disorder? Quite possibly.

(")(")
Cuddly Bunny

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 4:52 pm

ICollectWatches wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
I was surprised when my test results from Political Compass indicated that...

The political compass isn't a test. It's a political tool to make you think you are more liberal than you are. It was a precursor to all the click-bait fake tests that now inhabit social media, flattering people into feeling good about themselves, and sharing the "tests".

But it called me authoritarian. If it's wrong, then it's made me think I'm more authoritarian than I really am. But it seems right. When I looked more closely at myself, I realised that I do have a strong authoritarian streak.