I failed all of my classes this term.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

onepennyshort
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Dec 2014, 4:18 am

I took two years of school at community college and did great. I didn't really take any electives and I never dropped a class, I had a 3.5 GPA and I won enough scholarships to pay for my next two years of college at university. I won a study abroad scholarship and went abroad for the summer. Then the nightmare kicked in when I came back.

I only signed up for 12 credits. I typically take 17.

My classes were nightmares. The class I looked the most forward to, turned out to be the one I hated the most. I contracted a severe bronchial infection and I had to deal with that for a month. My whole life was either school or work, and since the few people I know have the weekends off I never got to see them.

I've been between severe depression and constant anxiety/mental breakdown/panic attacks all term.

I couldn't figure out what the hell my teachers wanted from me as far as assignment content goes. All the instructions were so vague. I ended up withdrawing from a class.

So I was down to 8 credits and I failed the other two classes. I just received the email from my fiance professor to let me know I failed.

My financial aid is absolutely f****d now.

I don't really know what to do. If university is going to be like this then what's the point of finishing school?

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 8:30 pm

you have to keep a constant dialogue with the professors outside of classroom time
I only learned this after Uni....

Then you appear in their 'monkey sphere' we only care about the people right in front of our faces.

Then you will get the inside scoop on what to do, and preferential treatment.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 9:07 pm

Okay, it is a blow. It's definitely a blow. The bronchitis for a month might be considered extenuating circumstances by the school. Maybe there is some way to ask in a medium way. I often struggle with this, in part because I have a low opinion of officialdom and I think realistically so. Maybe someone else can suggest how to ask and how to approach the school.

Lots of people struggle with school and go on to good jobs and good careers. And even in this day and age, plenty of people go on to good careers with only some college.

The depression and constant anxiety sounds like it was probably more of an issue than the bronchitis. But people tend not to believe in this. They should. I think they're mistaken not to, but this does seem to be kind of a social reality. On the more positive side, a minority of other people are realistic about the human condition and do take such things seriously. Just seems like it's hard to find them when you need them!

You have two years of good grades to average in with twelve hours of zero credit. Don't assume it's derailed yet. And plenty of people here can advise on course selection, gaming the system, dealing with disengaged professors who for some reason seem to like their course requirements to remain a puzzle, etc., and other skills to maneuver a modern college.

queensamaria
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2014, 1:31 pm

I'm sorry about all this. The point is to stay strong. Don't let anything negative get in your way of your education. Just study hard, focus, and move forward.