Page 3 of 7 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 10:15 am

Oops, I LEFT this tidbit out, up there.

AND science also shows that approximately one-third of school age children, now, are assessed as pre-type two diabetic; overall, in the general population pain killer use of some kind is approaching usage of 50%, and prescriptions FOR anti-depressants are sky rocketing among adult and children.

And again, DUH, sitting still is one definition for DEPRESSION AND DOING THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER, WHETHER IT IS RUNNING ON A TREADMILL OR SITTING STILL, CAN AND WILL CAUSE SOME TYPE OF ERGONOMIC INJURY AND PAIN, AS SCIENCE NOW SHOWS TOO, AS DOING THE SAME PHYSICAL MOVEMENT OR NON-MOVEMENT OVER AND OVER DAMAGES THE BIO-MECHANICAL PHYSIOLOGICAL TOTAL SYSTEM OF HUMAN BEING given enough time of this Einstein type of Insanity, IN INACTIVITY OR ACTIVITY, as defined by him.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

eleventhirtytwo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Dec 2014, 3:26 pm

Re: High functioning autistics only being 9%... I'll let Alex answer that one :P

22, entrepreneurial and diagnosed with High Functioning Autism, ADHD, OCD and Tourettes. Also have problems with Anxiety, and more recently depression, although I seem to returning to my optimistic self =)

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 11:28 pm

eleventhirtytwo wrote:
Re: High functioning autistics only being 9%... I'll let Alex answer that one :P

The statistics I provided were not mine, they were from the CDC LAST SUPPORTED RESEARCH on Asperger's syndrome as diagnosed in the United States. And again, that's it, as the diagnosis no longer exists IN THE UNITED STATES, AND it is by far the largest study ever taken in the U.S., to date.

Asperger's is diagnosed differently in some other countries so mileage may vary in other countries depending on diagnostic criteria.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Dec 2014, 12:48 am

aghogday wrote:
NICE TRY AT MISQUOTING ALMOST EVERYTHING I SAID IN YOUR QUOTE ABOVE.. BUT IT DIDN'T WORK.

Go back and quote what I really said if you want to have any chance of effective communication about this topic.

I've already done the research and am in the know.

Your attempts at personally attacking me here do not mean anything to me.

I am interested in how science shows life works, as well as beyond what science knows too.

And in this case Autism Speaks strictly speaking is a science organization and not an Internet foo foo.. organization....

And by the way.. foo foo.. is meaningless... i just made it up to be funny......;)

And by the way this is what I said below, NOT YOUR MISTRUTHS ABOVE ATTRIBUTED TO ME AS SUCH BY WAY OF YOUR QUOTE NOT MINE.

I didn't misquote you, I paraphrased your wall of text, the one that's full to the brim with fallacy and generalisation. With my reply, I even had to write lengthy multiple paragraphs just rebuke the sheer amount of nonsense.

Autism Speaks is not a scientific body, they're a hate group with some very bigoted opinions posing as a charity, but I'm sure you'd know that if you had already 'done the research'. They don't even have any AS people within their organisation, the people they're supposed to represent, what other organisation has something like that.

No, people aren't attacking you, they're commenting on all the strange things that you're saying, and what did you expect. Your posts, full to the brim with you posting strange stuff in rapid chain fire succession, and you do it to the point where it's one great big wall of text full of that nonsense, caps lock and all, well and truly beyond the point of ad nauseam. How do people NOT comment on the strange stuff and find it ridiculous.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 5:31 am

Moromillas wrote:
aghogday wrote:
NICE TRY AT MISQUOTING ALMOST EVERYTHING I SAID IN YOUR QUOTE ABOVE.. BUT IT DIDN'T WORK.

Go back and quote what I really said if you want to have any chance of effective communication about this topic.

I am interested in how science shows life works, as well as beyond what science knows too.

And in this case Autism Speaks strictly speaking is a science organization and not an Internet foo foo.. organization....

And by the way.. foo foo.. is meaningless... i just made it up to be funny......;)

And by the way this is what I said below, NOT YOUR MISTRUTHS ABOVE ATTRIBUTED TO ME AS SUCH BY WAY OF YOUR QUOTE NOT MINE.

I didn't misquote you, I paraphrased your wall of text, the one that's full to the brim with fallacy and generalisation. With my reply, I even had to write lengthy multiple paragraphs just rebuke the sheer amount of nonsense.

Autism Speaks is not a scientific body, they're a hate group with some very bigoted opinions posing as a charity, but I'm sure you'd know that if you had already 'done the research'. They don't even have any AS people within their organisation, the people they're supposed to represent, what other organisation has something like that.

No, people aren't attacking you, they're commenting on all the strange things that you're saying, and what did you expect. Your posts, full to the brim with you posting strange stuff in rapid chain fire succession, and you do it to the point where it's one great big wall of text full of that nonsense, caps lock and all, well and truly beyond the point of ad nauseam. How do people NOT comment on the strange stuff and find it ridiculous.
autism speaks is nor a scientific body or hate group.
they are an incorporated advocacy group that from time to time invests recources in scientific studies.The Massachusetts institute for technology is a scientific group.

autism speaks is a advocacy group that has opinions on the issues they deal with ,many people find these beliefs bigoted.for instance the Aryan brotherhood is a organization that exists for the sole purpose of bigotry

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Dec 2014, 8:30 am

vermontsavant wrote:

By definition they're a hate group, to call them anything else is just misleading.

In order to not call them a hate group, we would have to change the definition of hate group.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 10:10 am

Moromillas wrote:
aghogday wrote:

Moromillas.. i am NOT HERE TO PLAY GAMES.. you can believe conspiracy THEORIES if you like.. but i for one do NOT ANALYZE LIFE LIKE THAT.

And the fact of the matter is.. I DID NOT SAY WHAT YOU PARAPHRASED SO IN EFFECT WHAT YOU SAID IS A LIE IN WHAT YOU misattributed to me. i DON'T APPRECIATE IT.. but no i am not surprised by your behavior as sometimes that comes with the territory here.

And WE CAN go around and around on this all you like.. as i have unlimited resources of energy.. time.. and FACTS. :)

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 11:11 am

Moromillas wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

By definition they're a hate group, to call them anything else is just misleading.

In order to not call them a hate group, we would have to change the definition of hate group.
autism speaks has hurt a lot people with insensitive and condescending PR campaigns but it was not likely done maliciously but ignorantly.autism speaks is not a hate just a badly mismanaged advocacy group

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 12:39 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
autism speaks has hurt a lot people with insensitive and condescending PR campaigns but it was not likely done maliciously but ignorantly.autism speaks is not a hate just a badly mismanaged advocacy group

How long can ignorance be an excuse when they've been exposed to how many autistic people feel about their rhetoric? It's not just some low level employees reading complaint mail who know, they've threatened to sue over parodies, a regional director has tried to intimidate protesters into leaving, and JE Robison has made a very public resignation.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 3:23 pm

PlainsAspie wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

How long can ignorance be an excuse when they've been exposed to how many autistic people feel about their rhetoric? It's not just some low level employees reading complaint mail who know, they've threatened to sue over parodies, a regional director has tried to intimidate protesters into leaving, and JE Robison has made a very public resignation.
maybe so but I still wouldn't compare them with a hate group who's only mission is hate crimes.

eleventhirtytwo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Dec 2014, 6:10 pm

aghogday wrote:
eleventhirtytwo wrote:

The statistics I provided were not mine, they were from the CDC LAST SUPPORTED RESEARCH on Asperger's syndrome as diagnosed in the United States. And again, that's it, as the diagnosis no longer exists IN THE UNITED STATES, AND it is by far the largest study ever taken in the U.S., to date.

Asperger's is diagnosed differently in some other countries so mileage may vary in other countries depending on diagnostic criteria.

I was just looking at the CDC website, and I think it's misleading to say that the Aspergers diagnosis no longer exists. It seems to have been amalgamated into the same diagnosis of "Autism Spectrum Disorder", which is a bit different than losing recognition as implied by saying "it no longer exists".

Quote:
A diagnosis of ASD now includes several conditions that used to be diagnosed separately: autistic disorder, pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS), and Asperger syndrome. These conditions are now all called autism spectrum disorder.

Also, further looking into claims that the CDC put Aspergers at 9% of the Autistic population I found no such statistic, but I did find that they mentioned that the sample size for their last study was equivalent to 9% of the total American population aged 8. Perhaps the source of your confusion?

Quote:
A total population of 363,749 children aged 8 years was covered by the 11 ADDM sites that provided data for the 2010 surveillance year (Table 1). This number represented 9% of the total U.S. population of children aged 8 years in 2010 (18). A total of 60,130 records for 47,371 children were reviewed at health-care and education sources. Of these, the source records of 9,769 children met the criteria for abstraction, which was 20.6% of the total number of children whose source records were reviewed and 2.7% of the total population under surveillance (range: 1.4% [Alabama] to 4.2% [Utah]). Of the records reviewed by clinicians, 5,338 children met the ASD surveillance case definition. The number of evaluations abstracted for each child ultimately identified with ASD varied (median: 6; range: 4 [Arizona, Colorado, and Missouri] to 9 [Arkansas]).

22, entrepreneurial and diagnosed with High Functioning Autism, ADHD, OCD and Tourettes. Also have problems with Anxiety, and more recently depression, although I seem to returning to my optimistic self =)

B19
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 7:07 pm

What day is Thread Hog day? Have I missed it?

Lighten up fellas.. it's the season of good will..

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 11:30 pm

eleventhirtytwo wrote:
aghogday wrote:
eleventhirtytwo wrote:

I was just looking at the CDC website, and I think it's misleading to say that the Aspergers diagnosis no longer exists. It seems to have been amalgamated into the same diagnosis of "Autism Spectrum Disorder", which is a bit different than losing recognition as implied by saying "it no longer exists".

Quote:
A diagnosis of ASD now includes several conditions that used to be diagnosed separately: autistic disorder, pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS), and Asperger syndrome. These conditions are now all called autism spectrum disorder.

Also, further looking into claims that the CDC put Aspergers at 9% of the Autistic population I found no such statistic, but I did find that they mentioned that the sample size for their last study was equivalent to 9% of the total American population aged 8. Perhaps the source of your confusion?

Quote:
A total population of 363,749 children aged 8 years was covered by the 11 ADDM sites that provided data for the 2010 surveillance year (Table 1). This number represented 9% of the total U.S. population of children aged 8 years in 2010 (18). A total of 60,130 records for 47,371 children were reviewed at health-care and education sources. Of these, the source records of 9,769 children met the criteria for abstraction, which was 20.6% of the total number of children whose source records were reviewed and 2.7% of the total population under surveillance (range: 1.4% [Alabama] to 4.2% [Utah]). Of the records reviewed by clinicians, 5,338 children met the ASD surveillance case definition. The number of evaluations abstracted for each child ultimately identified with ASD varied (median: 6; range: 4 [Arizona, Colorado, and Missouri] to 9 [Arkansas]).

I found the newest study published this year and it is the last study done that will include Asperger's Syndrome. The percentage in this last study for Asperger's Syndrome is 11 percent and you can find the figures in table 4 in the link below.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss6302a1.htm

And yes, the Asperger's diagnosis has obviously been subsumed under Autism Spectrum Disorder in the U.S., but NO they are no longer doing any demographic studies specific to the diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome in the U.S., so Yes, the 11% figure will stand unless the diagnostic criteria changes again to include Asperger's as a separate diagnosis which seems next to impossible at this point in time for the U.S.

And at this point it is a moot point anyway as there is no longer any current information available specific to Asperger's syndrome now that it no longer exists as a diagnosis in the U.S.

However, they are still using criteria to diagnosis it in other countries.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 11:44 pm

B19 wrote:
What day is Thread Hog day? Have I missed it?

Lighten up fellas.. it's the season of good will..

HA-ha..! Don't hate me 'cause i have more words..that's how the 'big guy' in 'the sky' made me AFTER ALL..;)

BUT, anyway, HAPPY HOLIDAYS..!..:)

AFTER ALL IS DONE AND

said.

eleventhirtytwo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Dec 2014, 12:06 am

aghogday wrote:
eleventhirtytwo wrote:
aghogday wrote:
eleventhirtytwo wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

I found the newest study published this year and it is the last study done that will include Asperger's Syndrome. The percentage in this last study for Asperger's Syndrome is 11 percent and you can find the figures in table 4 in the link below.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss6302a1.htm

And yes, the Asperger's diagnosis has obviously been subsumed under Autism Spectrum Disorder in the U.S., but NO they are no longer doing any demographic studies specific to the diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome in the U.S., so Yes, the 11% figure will stand unless the diagnostic criteria changes again to include Asperger's as a separate diagnosis which seems next to impossible at this point in time for the U.S.

And at this point it is a moot point anyway as there is no longer any current information available specific to Asperger's syndrome now that it no longer exists as a diagnosis in the U.S.

However, they are still using criteria to diagnosis it in other countries.

Thanks for the link =)

I think there are still a few issues with the numbers though, and I'll give my hypothesis for that (for what it's worth).

On the link you provided, you'll notice in the tables at the bottom that among those in the studies sample, the median age of diagnosis was 2 years older for Aspergers than for Autistic Disorder or ASD/PDD.

Also of note, the sample used for this study was one of 8 years old. According to other research conducted by the National Autistic Society, the average age of diagnosis for Aspergers is 9 years old, although they also felt compelled to note that it often goes undiagnosed into adulthood (meaning there is not likely to be a normal distribution around the mean, but a distribution biased towards older ages).

So, to get to my point. If Aspergers tends to be diagnosed later than more classical forms of Autism - perhaps due to the symptoms being less obvious - and the mean age of diagnosis is 9 with a distributional bias towards older ages, it would be fair to assume that a study conducted using a sample of 8 year olds would not provide a fair representation of what percentage Aspergers represents of the total Autistic population.

Now, to consider that alongside the previous extrapolation - that Aspergers represents around 50% of the Autistic population - from studies using samples with larger sample sizes which included more variety in age, I would say that it's possible the results of said CDC study are misleading on this matter.

n.b. Sorry if my writing is messy, it's 5am here! :P

eleventhirtytwo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Dec 2014, 12:38 am

*Edit button dissappeared, but in above post I would have been more accurate to use the word "skewness" over "bias", although I'm sure y'all know what I meant ;)