Tools for employers of ASD people

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Kezzstar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 10:28 pm

Well, I had a huge breakdown recently at work. Upper management found out about it, and called me out for a coffee (well, hot white chocolate in my case). They were actually really nice about the whole thing and asked what they could do to help me.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of where employers could go to look for tools to help them with their autistic employees?

bacun
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2014, 6:25 am

What kind of freakout?Where did you work and what did you do?

Whats your background?

Cant be vague if you want answers.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 8:14 pm

Here are a couple books you might find helpful for yourself...

Asperger's on the Job by Rudy Simone
Also has tips for employers.

Business for Aspies by Ashley Stanford. Highly recommended by me. I found out about it from an autismhangout youtube of 'ask dr Tony'. I miss autismhangout.

I created this handout about me for my employer. It is based off something that my friend worked on with her job coach. Music is a part of my job, though not a large one.

Dear Name,

I am glad that we got to speak recently about my Asperger’s Syndrome, as I enjoy working with you. I also wanted to tell you this because I really value having complete transparency between me and you, and because I trust you, I want you to feel free to ask me any questions you would like to ask, whenever you have them.
Asperger’s looks different in every individual who has it. But there are some common issues, including communication, organization and strong, focused interests.

Some Issues Associated with Asperger’s
Social communication
I thrive on communication that is open, specific and direct. And I try hard to foster open discussion. If at any time there is something I need to change, the most optimal situation is to be direct in describing what needs to change, and let me brainstorm possible solutions!
- Rather than assuming that I ‘read’ body language, it is better to say ‘I’m a bit frustrated about…’ or ‘I am concerned about…’
- I may not understand when people are busy, so I always ask, ‘is now an okay time to talk?’, meaning that if you are busy, it is okay to say so!
- I find sarcasm hard to read.
- I ask direct questions to gather information that I may not gather otherwise, and to ensure that people are following my thought train
- My words are to be taken at face value- I do not ‘do’ double messages. And if I am hard to read, it is okay to ask for my thoughts!
- I am honest

Strong Focused Interests
I have always had a strong focused interests in x. And a strong interest in y and z. I am now careful to balance out these competing priorities! And to run my priorities by you to make sure we are on the same page.

Organization of Space/Visual Processing
- Processing spatial information is an area I find challenging
- I am always open to new ideas for organizing and design
- I am committed to keep on working on my organization skills.
- I am an auditory thinker, and tend to think out loud, through conversations, etc.

Some Benefits to Asperger’s for the workplace
- Excellent auditory processing skills. This means that I learn music easily, and that I learn through talking with you and all of the staff!
- My special interests are right in line with my job!

For my part, I am committed to
- improving my organization skills and communication to benefit all staff
- Being on the same page as to what my priorities are and should be.
- Doing anything else that needs to be done as part of this job

What I would like you to remember is that I really value your openness to talking with me. I very much enjoy working with you and the staff, and look forward to brainstorming even more with you in the future.

Aspie test: 84/200 aspie
NT score 109/200
You have aspie and NT traits

I love to read, sing and laugh out loud!
I love the original Star Wars movie.
One day, I would love to play the ukelele.