Do you consider yourselves as religious persons.

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 2:18 pm

I wonder because recently I began to be treated seriously, at the same time I have a problem with masturbation, I just love it too much to stop :D But masturbation is sinful:-(

SweetTooth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Dec 2014, 3:29 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
But masturbation is sinful:-(

No it's not. How do you think God created the universe?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 4:08 pm

I am not religious. I do not believe in religion as a cure-all for the sins of Humanity. I do not follow any particular religious doctrine. Finally, I believe that religious dogma has caused more pain and suffering in the world that science ever could.

Oh, and I am not an Atheist.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 4:41 pm

Masturbation is a normal and healthy part of being human that we start doing in our infancy and yet our whole society and not just the religious see it as being a hundred times worse than having sex with another person, something you should feel guilty and ashamed of doing. I even read not long ago that Dr. Kellog, who invented Kellog's Corn Flakes and other famous cereals, originally marketed it as health food that would keep you from masturbating.

And I am not a religious person even though I'm a Christian who puts up a tree and gives and receives presents at Christmas but doesn't go to midnight mass or anything else church-related. For years my parents would take my brother and me out to visit family friends and relatives on Christmas Eve, which IMO was much better than being stuck in a church.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 7:07 pm

No, I am not a religious person.

You know all those celibate priests whack off daily behind closed doors.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 8:04 pm

^yep.

i don't consider myself religious. i went to family-mandated church from infancy until age 12, when we stopped for whatever reason. (yet when with our extended family still do the rosary prayers after a death and pray during thanksgiving, etc) i had my first communion aged 8 and went to sunday school for years.

while i appreciate the memorial aspect of the rosary, and being grateful, i never believed much else...

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 11:50 pm

I'm a Catholic, and I believe in evolution.

Walking contradiction here. I believe in God, but my own beliefs do not follow the exact doctrine of the Catholic Church. I have no issues with those who are of another belief system as long as they don't hurt people except in one area (Scientology, I'll leave it at that)

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 11:56 pm

andrethemoogle wrote:
I believe in God, but my own beliefs do not follow the exact doctrine of the Catholic Church.

Theistic evolution is official Catholic doctrine.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2014, 12:01 am

Humanaut wrote:
andrethemoogle wrote:
I believe in God, but my own beliefs do not follow the exact doctrine of the Catholic Church.

Theistic evolution is official Catholic doctrine.

I mean in as in other issues; I'm for abortion in certain situations (health of the mother, rape and incest), pro-LGBT+QA rights (including marriage and adoption), etc.

It's good to see Pope Francis pretty much say that though. I believe he was a chemist before becoming a priest, so it'd be kind of hard not for him to say that.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2014, 12:16 am

andrethemoogle wrote:
It's good to see Pope Francis pretty much say that though.

This goes back to the 50s and Pope Pius XII.

http://www.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052748703846604575447493644515142

hilaryy_renee_
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Dec 2014, 1:07 am

I was born, baptized, and somewhat raised as a Catholic when I was younger. But I do not consider myself as a religious person. My immediate family members aren't necessarily religious either.
My other relatives, however, are very religious.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2014, 6:03 am

Hmmm.. 2 questions really...

For most of my life I was religious, in the sense that you mean. Not any longer.

Religious people 'choose' to sin, which makes their beliefs inconsistent with their choices. My choices are now much more consistent with my beliefs.

Don't feel guilty about masturbation. "Sin" and judgement are religion's more popular methods of control and exclusion.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2014, 9:02 pm

Nope I feel the belief in a magical invisible man that doesn't talk back a waste of time!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2014, 9:26 pm

Well, first of all it's helpful to define religion, less it devolve into only the Abrahamic version of ALL IT CAN BE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion

Quote:
A religion is an organized collection of beliefs, cultural systems, and worldviews that relate humanity to an order of existence. Many religions have narratives, symbols, and sacred histories that are intended to explain the meaning of life and/or to explain the origin of life or the Universe.

YES, per this definition science finally meets the definition of religion.

I sample a little bit of all of it, and make my own platter, as no one forces a menu of it on me.

Yes, a religious buffet is WHAT I SERVE MYself. :)

Defining GOD can be even MORE Fun than thIs as ALL THAT IS GREAT.

And finally to live WITHOUT EXISTENTIAL Intelligence is not to EXERCISE FULL POTENTIAL OF what ALL of Human Intelligence CAN BE.

IT'S part of WHY only 2% of the global population is statistically measured as Atheist all the way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism

Given the opportunity, the smartest folks do exercise this type of Intelligence, in SOME WAY, at least.

AND at least there is the commonly practiced religion, PER THAT DEFINITION ABOVE FROM Wiki, OF Science that at least SOME Atheist And Agnostic folks do tend to PRACTICE for FULLER POTENTIAL IN HUMAN INTELLIGENCE. :)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2014, 10:11 pm

aghogday wrote:
Quote:
A religion is an organized collection of beliefs, cultural systems, and worldviews that relate humanity to an order of existence. Many religions have narratives, symbols, and sacred histories that are intended to explain the meaning of life and/or to explain the origin of life or the Universe.

God created science through man, did he not?

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2014, 11:36 pm

Humanaut wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Quote:

God created science through man, did he not?

Yes, I agree as science is an abstract concept derived from complex human language and collected as recorded intelligence in complex cultures.

And the three letter word GOD is the same, of course.

But the essence of all that is, well, IS all that is.....

Unfortunately human language in all its flavors only approximates the essence of all that is, as same as science.

But on a personal level I LOVE THE MYSTERIES OF LIFE, AND ABSOLUTELY AM THRILLED THAT I canNOT know all that is..at least as far as I know now..;)

I WiLL never understand why folks gets so FRIGGING BENT OUT OF SHAPE OVER THIS.. as there is always at least SOME THING OUT OF ALL THAT IS.. that CAN be learned FROM EVERY HUMAN OPINION ABOUT ALL THAT IS AS EACH UNIQUE HUMAN INDIVIDUAL IS A fractal of All that is....AND THAT PART IS only my opinion... but still that opinion is also part of all that is.....:)

Have a nice day and or night, as i for one AM totAlly 'KILLING' EVERY NOW of all that is....

That makes it AWFUL HARD to get upset about any frigging thing in life, as well as that is MY RELATIVE FREE WILL EXERCISED AS SUCH.. AND that my friend is TRUE HUMAN MAGICK when one excels in that innate Mother Nature True skill....of relative free will in MIND OVER MATTER AND hell yes, I have the irrefutable TRUTH THAT IT WORKS, if everyone isn't tired of seeing it by now. ;)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick